What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Brunet is actually a word. It is the masculine or neutral form of brunette, which is the feminine form. Similar to how blond and blonde works.

• Like x 7
  2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I have a redette. :::PPP

• Like x 3
  3. Aondeug

And on that note I find it fascinating that the feminine forms of hair color names are becoming the standard spellings.

• Like x 8
  4. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

... Blonde and blond are gender-specific? I thought they were just alternate spellings.

... brunet still doesn't look right. Bluh.

• Like x 5
  5. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

People mixing up "blond" and "blonde" is one of my totally irrational pet peeves. I know it's a tiny nitpicky thing and they're basically interchangeable now BUT STILL.

• Like x 5
  6. Aondeug

They're gender specific, yes. It's a French thing that we keep for some fucking reason. Fiance and fiancee are in similar boats in that they have different gendered spellings but the same pronunciation generally. Though fiancée's existence seems to also be waning in English? At least I don't see it nearly as often.

• Like x 8
  7. valenstyne

Yeah, I see fiancé for a partner of any gender a lot. Although my personal favorite is when people mistype it as "finance". :D

• Like x 16
  8. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

I've known about the blond/blonde thing for a long time, I think I might have picked it up in middle school? But the brunet/brunette thing I learned much later, and to the part of my subconscious that determines correctness by "is that how I usually see the word spelled," "brunet" still looks wrong. I feel like I, at least, have seen it less often; I don't know if it's actually less commonly used or if I've just missed seeing the places it is used.

• Like x 5
  9. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Traditional marriage always includes the finance.

• Like x 14
  10. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I think fiancée is on its way out in English because 90% of the population can't figure out how to type the accented e, and without the é the word looks wrong. The popularity of Pokémon gave it life for a little longer, but it's been twenty years and frankly if you just type it as 'Pokemon' nobody gives a crap anymore.

• Like x 14
  11. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I get that homonyms are hard and all, but for fuck's sake, "losing his patience" and "loosing his patients" mean two very different things.

• Like x 21
  12. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Instant mental image: someone unlocks a pen and an army of people in hospital gowns charge down the street a la the Running of the Bulls while Ride of The Valkyries plays in the background. :::PPP

• Like x 23
  13. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

YEAH THAT WAS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN MY BRAIN TOO

• Like x 13
  14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

At least he didn´t lose his patients. That is usually bad.

• Like x 8
  15. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

having flashback to the OITNB "RUN NUNS, RUN" scene

• Like x 5
  16. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Or losing his patents.

[sad adhd writer noises] look, tense is hard... I can only do it consistently in second person present, because Thanks Homestuck is why.

• Like x 10
  17. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

But what if he loosed his patents?

• Like x 8
  18. valenstyne

Oh, I totally understand! It just seems like the sort of thing that, you know, beta readers are for. (Especially because I think what I was reading was a giftfic.) And second person present is my go-to like 80% of the time and I barely qualify as Homestuck-knowledgeable, it's a fun tense to use. :D

19. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

... I always feel bad that I don't use a beta reader, bc I mostly get too nervous to post things if I let them sit too long/or end up editing it to death.

then again, that's why i post to tumblr first, so later i can read through and pick up mistakes before I A03 post.

• Like x 4
  20. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Most of the people I rely on for betaing are also brainweird, so... I usually catch my tense shifts on rereading and then want to tear our my hair because of the amount of things that just don't sound as good in the other tense.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice