What are your fan fiction gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 27, 2016.

1. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

…I'm getting stuck on "some Star War's weapon". I know what they mean*, but…but…which Star War?

I realize that is the least of the problems there, but still…

*Kind of. "Star Wars weapon"? Like a lightsaber or…?

• Like x 8
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

My first thought was the twenty some odd not-Death Stars the franchise has seen over the years, honestly.

• Like x 7
  3. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

That would make more…well, "sense" might not be the right word, here…that would fit better, let's say.

I mean, in a just world, the fic would explain it, but there IS NO FIC. The fic is a lie.

• Like x 9
  4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

we must write our own

• Like x 6
  5. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

on the theme of inexplicable crossovers:
    IMG_1053.jpg

• Like x 5
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Inappropriate language. Silly euphemisms in a scene which is supposed to be dramatic are about the fastest way to ruin it.

• Like x 11
  7. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

The most baffling thing to me is that it's rated Teen.

• Like x 10
  8. LadyNighteyes

*flashbacks to WTFFanfic's Genitals List*

• Like x 8
  9. LadyNighteyes

Apparently Yuri on Ice fandom is infested with a trope where people get ~hanahaki disease~ where if you're in unrequited love flowers grow in your lungs and you cough up flower petals for a while and eventually die, and the only cure is the object of your affection falling in love with you or, in other fics, surgical removal of the flowers in your lungs which also ~removes the feelings~.

I... may have ranted in chat for quite some time just at that summary.
    1:01 PM - LadyNighteyes: Honestly though, I'm just. Society would not look the same if that was a thing, writer.
    1:01 PM - LadyNighteyes: At /all/.
    1:01 PM - LadyNighteyes: Especially not around romance, dating, or courtship.
    1:01 PM - [FRIEND]: It's only native to Japan in this fic =P
    1:02 PM - [FRIEND]: But yeah.
    1:02 PM - LadyNighteyes: JAPAN shouldn't look the same, then.
    1:02 PM - LadyNighteyes: And everyone else should be trying to cure this /common life-threatening condition/ that would be killing half the teenagers.
    1:03 PM - LadyNighteyes: But like, they should have whole frigging wards for that.
    1:04 PM - LadyNighteyes: Because every kid in the country with a crush on a fictional character can now die without surgery.
    1:04 PM - LadyNighteyes: And EVERY surgery carries a risk of complications.
    1:05 PM - [FRIEND]: Yes.
    1:07 PM - LadyNighteyes: Like, they're writing it for ~pretty romance~ and I'm just like "please consider the dystopian hell world you have created."
    1:07 PM - LadyNighteyes: "How has the human race even survived this long."
    1:08 PM - LadyNighteyes: "Your stupid flower petal lung disease should have annihilated humanity long before this."
    1:09 PM - LadyNighteyes: Like, until modern surgical techniques, /every single hopeless crush should have ended in death/.
    1:10 PM - LadyNighteyes: And a pretty high proportion of the population has had those!
    1:10 PM - [FRIEND]: Seriously.
    1:11 PM - LadyNighteyes: And what about people who fall out of love? Does whichever one fell out later develop a fatal disease?
    1:11 PM - LadyNighteyes: Flowers should not be a positive symbol in this world!
    1:12 PM - LadyNighteyes: A picture of a flower should have about the same connotation as a picture of a smallpox sore!
    1:12 PM - LadyNighteyes: There wouldn't be a ~language of flowers~ and beauty found in them would be grotesque.
    1:12 PM - [FRIEND]: Seriously
    1:13 PM - LadyNighteyes: Would aro people get treated like serial killers?
    1:13 PM - [FRIEND]: Ooh, point
    1:14 PM - LadyNighteyes: And like, you can't actually force yourself to love someone.
    1:14 PM - [FRIEND]: Or maybe be asked to segregate themselves from society
    1:14 PM - [FRIEND]: there would be so much guilt counseling needed
    1:14 PM - LadyNighteyes: EXACTLY.
    1:15 PM - LadyNighteyes: Congrats, /you personally caused this rando's death because you weren't attracted to him/.
    1:15 PM - LadyNighteyes: Celebrities kill hundreds or thousands of people!
    1:17 PM - [FRIEND]: Yikes, point
    1:20 PM - LadyNighteyes: Like, that's a frigging premise for, like, a DtB Weird Gate Thing of the Week.

1:30 PM - LadyNighteyes: (But seriously, if it hits everyone who experience unrequited love, any area it's endemic to should not have a human population anymore.)
    1:30 PM - LadyNighteyes: (That should kill so many people that the population couldn't sustain itself.)
    1:31 PM - LadyNighteyes: (If it only happens in Japan <strike>because the author is a weeaboo</strike>, /Japan should be an unpopulated wilderness/.)
    1:31 PM - [FRIEND]: Seriously.
    1:31 PM - [FRIEND]: Even if it's just one island!
    1:31 PM - LadyNighteyes: Yeah.
    1:31 PM - [FRIEND]: Or, it should have wiped out the original humans who migrated there
    1:32 PM - [FRIEND]: And it became a sort of no-man's-land until surgery was properly developed, because people from china who kept moving there all died horribly
    1:33 PM - LadyNighteyes: Even WITH surgery, probably more than half the population are going to end up needing that surgery, often multiple times!
    1:33 PM - LadyNighteyes: This is not a place most people are going to want to live!

• Like x 22
  10. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

oh my god yeah that. just. what if you stop crushing on a person, what then? also i'm pretty sure that flowers growing IN YOUR LUNGS would kill you very very quickly, too, and you'd be miserable the entire time because having shit in your lungs is the WORST.

• Like x 14
  11. LadyNighteyes

I can't get over how deeply creepy the premise of "I'll die if you don't love me" is. Makes me want spitefic where an emotionally abusive douchebag is faking it, and palms some flower petals and starts coughing whenever their partner starts showing too many signs of disobedience.

• Like x 23
  12. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

god i really want to steal that idea and play it for horror
    why isn't this played for horror
    come on

• Like x 19
  13. LadyNighteyes

inorite. Like. This could literally be a sci-fi psychological horror premise. What is it doing as a meet cute.

• Like x 12
  14. garden

garden lucid dreamer

if not Everyone who was in unrequited love caught the disease, then i could see a society stubbornly continuing to exist there? but if the infection rate was 100% for anyone who was in unrequited love then... any civilization there would die out fairly quickly i think

• Like x 11
  15. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

it could be EITHER a full out plot or a creepy thing of the week type deal? either way would be cool! but no

• Like x 9
  16. shmeed

shmeed plant me

all i can think of is some evil fuck giving the disease to as many people as possible and then cheerily letting it consume them

which begs the question, is that society equipped to handle something like that? if there's a spike in occurrences in one small area, do investigators get in on the case?

• Like x 8
  17. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

do u think killing the unrequited love interest works at all

• Like x 15
  18. LadyNighteyes

Yeah, and some were definitely going "it's a rare disease," and in that case I am still immensely disturbed by the implications of "FRIENDZONING IS LITERALLY FATAL," but I will grant that humanity would not be extinct. But I don't think all of them were.

• Like x 10
  19. LadyNighteyes

I like the way your mind works.

• Like x 11
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone read the fairytale Diamonds and Toads and got carried away. (Would diamonds be worse than flowers? Diamonds are sharp, but flower petals would compress into the alveoli and suffocate you more horribly.)

• Like x 12
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice