what are your fanfic delights?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by jacktrash, Jun 16, 2019.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yeah, SGA didn't get kicked out of the top 25 until early 2018, 9 years after it ended, when it lost its place to the Star Wars sequel trilogy. Such is the power of a slash juggernaut, I guess.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. LadyNighteyes

So, do people remember that Batman/Catwoman Discourse from a few weeks back? When DC editorial censored a sex scene in the Harley Quinn cartoon because "heroes don't do that"?

Somebody made a fic exchange just for heroes doing that, with reveals opening on DC's official Batman Day.

• Winner x 8
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

all is right with the world

• Agree x 4
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Beautifully gruesome descriptions are fun! I love Ticktockstuck.
    "she felt like she was trying to give birth to squids through her bones"

• Informative x 2
  5. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Yesterday I discovered the Pomegaverse tag on Pixiv.

It's an AU where certain people—Pomegas—transform into pomeranians when exhausted or stressed and don't turn back until the people around them have sufficiently pampered and fussed over their adorable doggy self.

I love fandom.

• Winner x 10
    • Informative x 1
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm taking a large amount of sadistic glee in my writing group setting up a reformed villain who's suffered greatly without making it clear what he actually did and seeing how people's attitudes change when we reveal the incredibly squicky things he did.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

And it's up, and we already got a shocked review! Yay! (Kind of concerned no one was shocked by some of the prior chapters...)

• Like x 2
  8. LadyNighteyes

9. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

not totally sure this is the right place for this, but like... you know how a lot of people are like "oh romance novels are for girls", with the implication that that makes them lesser, and a lot of girl-shaped kids respond, like with the color pink, "not me! i don't like romance, i like action/adventure!" or thrillers, or "literature", or... anyway, i fell for that trap too, for a long time, without even realizing it, completely discounting everything to do with romance novels out of hand. it didn't even occur to me that the fics i like might fall under the header until blakkat described some of her fics as "romance novels with the serial numbers filed off" and i was like ...oh.

so this post is to say: hooray for romance-novel type fics, both on their own merits and because they made me open my mind to a whole new genre of books.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
  10. Jean

completely different note: fics that treat the jedi as being really really weird from an outsider perspective, not necessarily eldritch although i do like that, but just like... very fundamentally foreign to non-force-sensitives.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Have any recs? :0c

• Agree x 1
  12. Jean

okay, firstly: eldritch jedi tag

secondly, some of my favorites:

Made for the Jedi by Twackycat

come down from your mountain
    by stormwarnings
    In all of us by NyeLung
    Eldritch horror? No, eldritch Family by aroacejoot

fledgeling by calika

• Winner x 3
  13. Jean

you know when you see the plot point coming and you go ooooooo is that what i think it is?? and then it comes along and the delivery is perfect and the whole thing is glorious and you're like yessssss i was right! and it's even better than i expected!! ?

yes. that.

• Agree x 7
    • Winner x 2
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Fics which cause references to pop into my head, unintended by the author. Sniper/Spy fic in which dirty talk used knives as a dick size metaphor made me remember this:

15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

"Delight" is the wrong word for this, but my cowriter friend has taught me an awful lot of information about how horrible things can be in the world which is important for people to know, so ideally we can spread that info to enough people to help do something about it. I'm helping her work on a chapter about American prison system corruption at the moment, and it's pretty scary but people need to know about it.

• Useful x 2
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Coming across a fic with a tantalizing summary and going in completely blind, only to find something new and entirely unexpected that you've never seen before is so fucking choice. Hell, I'll even take non-boring shock factor over quality sometimes. Reading is fun

• Agree x 3
  18. LadyNighteyes

Today is AO3's 13th birthday! :toot:

• Winner x 7
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Characters who were supposed to be likeable in canon being violently prejudiced in fanfic upsets me, but I find humour in characters being non-malicious but thoroughly insensitive. Sorta like the Almost Politically Correct Redneck meme.

• Agree x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Friend with Native American ancestry is learning interesting things about Native American cultures and teaching me via cowriting. She got onto some stuff about differences of two-spirit people and related concepts between tribes and now we're looking for characters who might possibly fit various groups to use that info with.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice