What are your headcanon gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Maya, Jan 28, 2017.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

*obligatory whining about the only genderbend art in my fandom turning the quiet, stoic protag into a Generic Tsundere* *where is the RH genderbend that has Dias and Selvan as the snarky asshole lesbians we deserve, because that is what I want out of a RH genderbend*

I'm ace and go :excalibur: at a lot of ace headcanons for similar reasons. Especially if they also turn the character into a delicate moeblob. Or if they say it's supported by canon because the character is "childish." Or if the character is pretty clearly attracted to people in canon.

• Like x 8
    • Agree x 2
  2. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

yeah
    to be fair this was the same karkat that got into my eridan's bed, without warning or permission, and demanded he make him pancakes
    then bitched about his sexuality when eridan got upset that he'd gotten into Eridan's bed and woken him up

• Like x 6
    • Witnessed x 1
  3. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

what the fuck x2

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 1
  4. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I made a post bitching about it:
    So usually I don’t do the thing, where you post your log for the world to see. But I’m going to do it this time!

1. If you want to do humanstuck in a certain way, then say so. Ask me not to use the quirk. Whatever. But your thing said script style, and I’m RPing script style. It might be that I haven’t run across more people who RP humanstuck like that, but hey.

2. Holy fucking SHIT, there is INDEED such a thing as being bisexual! And pansexual! And asexual too! If your headcanon is that Karkat is a narrow minded guy, then PLEASE tell me so, instead of COMPLETELY ignoring my question about your statement.

3. THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR THE ATTEMPTED FORCED SHIPPING. Why yes I will immediately react to all affection and attention with proclamations of love and undying devotion, simply because I play Eridan fucking Ampora!

4. It’s not cool to complain that someone’s not gay simply because they don’t rise to your ship baiting.

Sorry for the rant guys, but it’s pre-exam week and this shit was upsetting.

And then I got a hate anon thing:
    anonymous asks:
    Humanstuck doesn't precisely mean that the trolls BECAME humans, it means that the trolls have been humans their whole life. The fact that you just went ooc to tell someone that bisexuality is a thing is just horrible, EVERYONE KNOWS BISEXUALITY DOES EXIST. You just criticized the way he roleplayed and that's a shame for you. Character development means that they could have a narrow mind. Hussie didn't state how Karkat would be if he was a human. That's all. Don't answer this. I won't read it.

me:

Well guess what, honeybee, I’m going to answer it anyway!

Mainly because I don’t really care if you read it or don’t, and because you’re my first hate anon, so I ought to celebrate :D

RIGHT THEN.

Humanstuck doesn’t precisely mean that the trolls BECAME humans, it means that the trolls have been humans their whole life.

I think everyone knows that humanstuck means the trolls have been human their whole life. Hell, I’m writing an ongoing humanstuck fanfiction, and I have RPed humanstuck before. If it’s para, their quirk will show up in the texting. If it’s script, usually we use the quirk unless otherwise specified.

Quirks are not a product of being a troll. They’re based on your typing style, your syntax, the grammar and punctuation you use or don’t use. I have a good friend who has a typing quirk & it works something like this & I’m not really sure why she uses it but it’s adorable & she has a lot of fun.

Last I checked, she was neither a troll, nor a homestuck.

The fact that you just went ooc to tell someone that bisexuality is a thing is just horrible, EVERYONE KNOWS BISEXUALITY DOES EXIST.

As for your second point, did you happen to notice that the RPer never acknowledged the fact that I pointed it out? That they just went STRAIGHT to my question about their quirk? There are some people out there who think that bisexuality is not a thing, the same way people complain about mental disorders not being real and asexuality being a joke.

Want to know a secret, honeybee? I’m bi! So yes I know it’s real, and I don’t see why sticking up for my sexuality is so horrible.

You just criticized the way he roleplayed and that’s a shame for you.

As for criticizing the way they roleplayed…of course I’m going to. They shoved their Karkat into a bed with my Eridan and made him whine about pancakes. The nuzzling could be construed as sexual harassment, if you want me to pull up the relevant laws.

Not to mention that they complained “Oh, why couldn’t you be gay” when my Eridan didn’t rise to the ship bait. That’s absolutely fan-fucking-tastic RPing, of course, and I can’t believe I didn’t go for it.

In case you missed it, that was sarcasm.

Character development means that they could have a narrow mind. Hussie didn’t state how Karkat would be if he was a human.

Oh now, THIS part is just really amusing. I mentioned the narrow minded part because I was asking if that was the RPer’s headcanon. If they wrote Karkat as someone who was set in his views and ways and unwilling to change.

But honeybee, character development happens over a period of time. This was maybe ten, twenty minutes of RPing, tops. It would be a headcanon. Not development.

And for the last bit! No, we have no idea how Karkat would act as a human. But the troll thing is a template for that. You take their personality and attitude and things that they enjoy as a troll, and build that into their human self.

For instance, my Eridan is nearly always in NROTC, or at Annapolis (the US Naval Academy), and enjoys riflery. Still thinking about having him be phenomenal at horseback riding. He’s secretly a huge Harry Potter fan. I could go into detail, but I’d bore you.

I hope you have a lovely day, honeybee. And whoever else is reading this, because I feel kind of bad that you have to put up with my ranting.

• Like x 7
    • Winner x 1
  5. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Merle is also the only one of the group who has never referred to his dick and once asked for enchanted shorts so "sand doesn't get up [his] hoo-ha", which I have always interpreted to be a gentler word for vagina. I may be mistaken about that, though. Might be a more standard term for any sort of genitalia. Whatever, I'm still gonna headcanon transdude Merle/trans lady Hecuba.

• Like x 8
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Oh yeah, I forgot about that quote! MORE FUEL FOR THE FIRE. Also it didn't occur to me that Hecuba would be trans too, I just assumed they would have used magic to get her pregnant, but man, I think I like this version better. It adds a whole new dimension to Merle's refusing to give up the memory of the birth of his children.

• Like x 4
  7. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

It... did not occur to me that you could magically impregnate someone. Well. Huh. I mean, well. Taako can turn into a dove, so how does that relate to trans stuff?? Hmm. Hmm.

• Like x 3
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I mean, I have no idea if it's actually possible within the rules or lore of DnD, but they did at one point mention a spell that lets you bring someone 100% back from the dead so I figured magical pregnancy could also be arranged somehow.

• Like x 1
  9. LadyNighteyes

Dunno what edition they're using, but I've got a stack of 3.5 rulebooks here, and: Alter Self, level 2 Sorcerer/Wizard spell. Doesn't specifically mention gender in the description, but considering you can give yourself functional wings I think plumbing changes are entirely reasonable. Doesn't have a long duration, but it seems like it'd be a pretty reasonable DM ruling that you could use Permanency with it. So that'd be a magical perma-transition for two spells castable by a 9th-level wizard with 500 XP to spare.

So, while 3.5E magic is notoriously kinda broken, I think magic pregnancy is definitely within a reasonable scale of "things that could be accomplished with DnD magic."

(And yeah, there are straight-up resurrection spells. And if you have a REALLY high-level spellcaster, Wish and Miracle can literally do anything.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    • Like x 5
  10. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Relatedly, but on the other end of the spectrum: people insisting Kanaya cannot be a lesbian because trolls are binormative. Like. Guys. Hussie explicitly said she'd be considered a lesbian by human standards, and she never once showed attraction to anyone who wasn't a girl in the comic. Let me have this, dammit.

UGH YES. I am so fucking sick of people insisting Steven is definitely a trans girl because he wore a dress and makeup in Sadie's Song and he's not traditionally masculine. Just. No. Let Steven not give a shit about gender roles.

...Related to the above, I briefly got very confused and thought you meant Steven as in Steven Universe and not as in Steve Rogers.

(Not that Nazi!Steven Universe would make any goddamn sense either, given that A. Steven is deeply compassionate and loving towards everyone and B. Rebecca Sugar is Jewish (and so is her brother, who happens to be Steven's namesake), and something tells me a Jewish woman wouldn't make her positively-portrayed, partially-based-on-her-brother protagonist a goddamn Nazi. :P)

• Like x 10
    • Agree x 1
  11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I think they're using 5th edition, but even if it's different, I have a feeling Griffin would be willing to fudge it if asked, and isn't that what really matters in DnD

If Merle was worried about getting sand up his junk it sounds like he didn't do a permanent bottom transition, though. Maybe he's just not particularly dysphoric.

12. LadyNighteyes

Yup. Rule Zero of DnD is that if the DM agrees, it's all good.

Yeah, my point wasn't so much "this is definitely what they'd do" as "that's totally within the scope of things that are possible with vanilla-rules DnD magic with minimal fudging." I think the philosophy behind DnD spell lists is more "let's think of a bunch of things we think players might want to do and lay out rules for how that could work" than trying to create a coherent setting.

• Like x 1
  13. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

"This character lost a limb/has a missing limb in canon but for some reason this isn't a thing in my fic because [trains roar by] even though there is no fic-canon reason this character needs that missing limb"

• Like x 13
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

"This character is a trans girl because he wore a dress in canon" has its demon counterpart in "this character is a trans boy because she doesn't want to wear a dress". I get especially pissed off by GNC characters being assumed trans because I was obliged to wear boy's clothes throughout my childhood because of sensory issues (I can't stand the feeling of skin on skin, itchy embroidery actively hurts, and a lot of makeup feels itchy and slimy) and I hated the "girly" stuff my peers liked, and I feel like I'm being told my gender expression is wrong. I especially hate "Rainbow Dash must be a trans boy because she likes sports and is blue", because the purpose of the Mane 6 is to show a variety of valid ways of being a girl, and I don't like the implication that tomboyish and butch girls aren't real.

• Like x 18
    • Agree x 1
  15. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

The flipside of the Nazi talk above, the most baffling headcanon I've ever seen was someone casually mentioning that they headcanon a particular (villainous) character as "being from a Jewish family"…when said character is canonically actually a Nazi. Like, not as in "the character espouses Nazi ideals", but as in "the character is a probably card-carrying member of the Nazi party".

Maybe they also headcanoned him as some kind of affirmative-action hire, I dunno.

• Like x 6
  16. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    • Like x 2
  17. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I mean, I've seen Slavic Nazis on Tumblr.

18. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Warning at the link for, uh, Nazis, the KKK, baffling doublethink, and suicide.

• Like x 2
  19. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

I definitely thought of him (as well as this guywhy is there more than one example), which could make for an interesting character interpretation, but the Nazis in canon were original-flavor 1930s Germans, so they would probably have done a background check before allowing this character into his position of power.

• Like x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I think everyone here can agree it's angering when a character who's canonically a marginalised group is fanonically depicted as not being of that group, but it's also annoying when a fan depicts them as part of a group they obviously aren't. One I just saw; depictions of characters as fat are great, but when you take a character from a visual medium who is canonically depicted as obviously skinny and make them fat without intervening weight gain mention, it doesn't look like them.

• Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice