What are your headcanon gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Maya, Jan 28, 2017.

1. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

"Making someone else the [x axis of oppression] while ignoring all the other characters on that axis" is something that drives me up the wall. Especially if someone takes the stories of those characters for the Someone Else, and triply so if those characters get recast... as the fucking oppressor.

I mostly see it happen with sexuality/gender, but I've seen a few race recasts that pull it and it's absolutely appalling.

• Agree x 5
  2. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

Hrmmm. Thought: You know how in TV Shows with that one mean girl who has a follower? Generally one who's staying for whatever reason? What if that's sorta Pearl?

• Like x 1
  3. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

As of 3.5, it's restricted to races of the same type as you originally were.

• Informative x 3
  4. Shwoo

Shwoo Well-Known Member

I remember seeing a headcanon of the day blog claiming that the Ice King from Adventure Time was aromantic, and... yes, the guy who desperately wants to marry a princess due to a distorted memory of his fiancee that he's spent the last thousand years obsessing over is perfect aromantic representation.

Headcanons that outright contradict important parts of characters aren't headcanons, they're AUs.

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 2
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Drawn depictions of characters where they're so generic one can only tell it's supposed to be them by their clothing colours. I suspect that's a hazard of using those pixel doll bases sometimes, but other times there's no excuse.

Also, as a big girl I'm all for depicting characters as fat, but I struggle to picture Dave Strider that way. He exercises hard every day and barely ever has food in his home, how would he get fat?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Agree x 8
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I hate fan Classes/Aspects (wrt Homestuck classpect stuff). Like, the whole reason that the system is endearing and interesting is because it's limited, because anyone should be able to fit in to the system as an X of Y, where both X and Y are previously defined. (Assuming that the Classes and Aspects that we're shown are the total available, which I do admit is a pretty big assumption, but.) I dunno, maybe it's just my inherent need to Follow Directions/Rules, but I like that things have proscriptions and making stuff work within a system or framework. I am not wording this well because I have feelings about it that are just not getting translated right, but I LIKE SYSTEMS. STOP ADDING UNNECESSARY JUNK TO THE SYSTEM.

And some of the fan stuff is so dumb. Like, at least try to make your Aspect broadly applicable. Also, if your Aspect kinda falls under the purview of an already established Aspect, why not just go with the one that's there?

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 1
  7. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

the weirdest fucking thing i've ever seen ever was the typical "this boy wears a dress so he's a canon transgirl" stuff coming from a fandom where not only is there a canon transgirl, but she's the previously mentioned character's SISTER, and the person was also insisting that the canon trans character was cis.
    what.

• Like x 6
    • Witnessed x 5
  8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

[​IMG]

• Agree x 5
  9. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

it was the weirdest fucking thing

• Agree x 2
  10. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Plus fan aspects tend to be way more constrained than the general ones. Like. Fan aspects that are like 'oh this is the aspect of lighting!' 'This is the aspect of ice!' And meanwhile canon is "this is the aspect of void, it's hiding things and things not existing and emptiness and also the root of all that can be" "this is the aspect Hope, fuck knows what's going on with it"

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 2
  11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Yeah. It seems like most fan aspects are made by people who want their characters to have certain superhero powers, while in canon the superpowers are almost a sidenote to the narrative and character ramifications of aspect and class. And I've never seen a fanclass that covers genuinely new territory not encompassed by one of the canon classes.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    • Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  12. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

@Saro I....totally misread that as you hating when people apply aspects and classes to other fandoms at first and I was like "OH NO WHO HURT YOU,,,"

But yeah no I like...iunno, in some ways, I could see it being cool-ish? but the thing with homestuck classpects is that they are open to so many types of interpretation...and then...like KarrinBlue said and like you said about narrowing it ><

hrrmmm
    OOH what might be cool is Deliberate Inversion
    Finding Opposites of aspects/classes NOT listed as part of the thing
    and then a "Glitch SBURB" type thing with that—BASICALLY I agree with y'all

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I'm so annoyed that the most comprehensive classpect quiz includes fan classpects. That one where you have to take like fifteen different personality tests. If you're going to put that much work into it, you might as well put in the effort to narrow it down to canon material.

• Agree x 9
  14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Agreed. I'm also bothered by how stupid a lot of the fan classes sound. Like, regardless of the narrowing involved in making up new aspects, there's a broader base of words that sound decent, but once people get outside the canon classes you start running out of suitable one-syllable words and start getting stuff like "Ace" and I'm just. No. That is stupid. That is only allowed if done with a similar level of seriousness as "Gent of Piss."

• Agree x 5
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I don't mind them much; presumably there are more classes and aspects than shown, if the comment about a forty-eight-player game was serious. What I can't stand is when the names have multiple syllables. NO. AT LEAST FIT THE PATTERN.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice