What are your roleplay gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by whyguy, Dec 13, 2016.

1. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Was he banned? I haven't roleplayed there in a few months.

2. Gyro Zeppeli

Gyro Zeppeli Pseudo Anti Cult Leader

God, okay, when we're playing canon characters with very little actual established canon, there's not really an excuse for making blatant canonical errors.

Widowmaker is purple because her heart doesn't beat quickly. That is why she is purple. Please do not go on and on about how her heart is pounding in her chest and beating quickly, because that Is Not A Thing (tm) for Widowmaker.

• Like x 11
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I am kind of scared of Overwatch rp because of how nice the supports are made in a lot of fanart and fanfic I see. Mercy is many things, but she isn't a sweet precious baby angel who would never say anything mean ever. She is exasperated and sick of your shit. Also one of Ana's emotes is literally her laughing in your fucking face and several of her voiceclips are sarcastically biting.

• Like x 2
  4. whyguy

whyguy blarg

I have imposter syndrome really bad when it comes to being afraid of getting canon characters wrong, to the point where the only canon characters I play are ones like krem from dragon age, because his entire wiki is like a paragraph long and I can make up everything else

5. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I'd be interested in Overwatch RP, but I'm constantly second-guessing myself when it comes to things like characters who aren't my usual style to roleplay (even if they are my favorites) and not having a good idea of how the tumblr scene is makes me even less inclined to dip toes in it. Though I'm not surprised that people are making Blatant Canon Errors given how often I see it in fic and art too-- reading the profiles of the characters is Too Much Work I guess.

6. Aondeug

Yes. Yes it is. No one seems to read those short paragraphs or listen to the voiceclips and emotes carefully. Which makes me a sad Aon. Fanon versions of the case reign supreme.

7. Gyro Zeppeli

I'm not really a stickler for characterization or canonicity - if it's fun, it's fine, and I care even less if we're RPing some kind of AU. I don't think Coffee Shop AU Pharah would necessarily act similar to "Veteran of a robot war" Pharah.

But like, if we're going to do a canon thing, please just read your character's bio at the very least.

8. Aondeug

I'm a stickler about the AU version of the character making sense in comparison with the canon. If we stray too far from the personalities we see then I get very ergh. Like a coffee shop AU version of Aranea won't be able to mindread more than likely. But it is sensible to make her paranoid due to hyperempathy. If the only similarity is literally the name and appearance then I am cranky.

• Like x 3
  9. Gyro Zeppeli

I guess I'm more or less the opposite. I don't believe that people have 'inherent" personalities - we're just a product of our experiences. While, sure, it would be possible to justify having an AU Pharah act like canon Pharah, I don't see any reason to shoehorn that in just to make her more like canon.

• Like x 1
  10. Aondeug

It's a mix of both. Which is the fun of AUs. If I am just going to change everything there's no point in them for me. I may as well just make entirely new characters at that point. Like yes I'd probably be different if I lived elsewhere or raised different but I'd still have my OCD and other anxiety problems to some extent because those are just baked into me.

If it's not Pharah in any fashion then as far as I am concerned it's someone else who just happens to be named Fareeha Amari and I personally have no interest in rping with it.

• Like x 2
  11. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

Anyone else here a LARPer? I've been playing Amtgard for a couple years and I have a big, huge gripe about that game. It's a primarily fighting based game with only a little roleplay, mostly in the form of people playing monsters every few weeks, and longer quests that happen every couple months, at the most. Role play is encouraged, to an extent, but it isn't necessary or, honestly, terribly appreciated.
    My big gripe, then, is people who talk themselves up and then don't have the stick to back it up.
    There was a girl we had a couple years ago who did nothing off field but talk about how great a fighter she was, how many legendary battles she'd single handedly won, what foes she'd defeated, and basically how fucking OP she was. On field, she was the single worst fighter I have ever had the displeasure of knowing. In her three months there I don't think she managed a single kill on her own, unless you count backstabs while someone else engaged from the front. She screamed like she'd been shot every time she got hit (our swords don't hurt. They're literally pool noodles on sticks. It is nearly impossible to make a hit from one of our swords hurt), cringed away from the slightest display of aggression, and when she tried to lead a battle got her team pummeled. We have a magic aspect, and she couldn't speak fast enough to get a three line spell out before she got hit. She couldn't shoot a bow, she couldn't remember the healing spell, and she never quite wrapped her head around what her single magic ball did.
    In an online RP, go ahead, talk yourself up and write yourself as a badass. In a live role play scenario, know your abilities and shape your character around them. It's not hard, just have a little humility.

• Like x 4
  12. Aondeug

I want to be but I don't know anyone to do it with sadly.

13. Gyro Zeppeli

Okay this might be like a minor crossover with tumblr.txt but apparently its bad to say "My kinks are ____" when planning out an RP bc it makes your partner uncomfortable and makes them think they're RPing smut with you as a person?

Like, in my experience, that's pretty much the norm on most platforms (Cherubplay/MSPARP/F-list), but apparently we're supposed to say "My character's kinks are _____" in order to make things less awkward?

I'm just confused, the latter is overwhelmingly the norm in my experience, not some weird skeevy thing only some people do.

• Like x 3
  14. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

... that is an extremely weird thing that I've never encountered someone being picky about.

Like there's a distinction to be drawn between the two for me? I have A) kinks I can't play out with certain characters, because one character I play has a series of panic attack triggers related to kidnapping, and B) because sometimes I'm into the character not liking the thing even though I like it (and very rarely, C) a character muse in my head will be super into a thing I'm not that into myself), but... That's just fuckin weird.

• Like x 2
  15. Gyro Zeppeli

Yeah like, even in a not-noncon sense, it'd be silly if an RP based around a kink like size difference or alien banging had to involve at least one of the characters having a kink for size difference or alien banging, which just feels weird and forced to me.

• Like x 2
  16. Aondeug

What no. They aren't my character's kinks they are mine. Now my characters might share them (see: porrim and bdsm) but not necessarily.

• Like x 3
  17. Gyro Zeppeli

Honestly I'm just so like, confused by their logic

This is the reblog chain atm

I just don't get it, personally. The only reason those characters have that kink is because I want to RP it. I wouldn't RP a kink I don't personally have any interest in, and attempting to always have both characters have the kink in question just seems forced.

• Like x 3
  18. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

My first thought is "wow no vore how vanilla" but that's incredibly rude of me. I'll admit that I'm just... confused too. And waiting to see when this turns into "by the way this is why you can never roleplay [bad thing] because you have to do the BDSM scene equivalent instead" wrt things like noncon, bloodplay, gore, etc.

Like... I've got characters with kinks. And sometimes those kinks match up to mine. But I also have a wide variety of kinks that my characters don't, and it'd be weird to say "yeah my werewolf has a kink for knotting" when I really mean that my werewolf has a knotting dick. It's not a kinky thing for them, it's just a fact of biology. My human male has a kink for ejaculation and bad sex. My human female has a kink for talking shit in bed. It's not... kinky for them, it's just sort of who they are as characters?

• Like x 5
  19. Gyro Zeppeli

From what I can tell, they're being pedantic and really just saying "I'm uncomfortable with noncon and I'm doing this for character interactions rather than for kink fulfillment" which is fine, I just don't think saying "My kinks are ____" is bad or uncommon.

• Like x 5
  20. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

We've played some Overwatch characters in SPR; I had @Angela Ziegler and Aon had @Ana-Amari and @Fareeha-Amari among others, and we had Reaper, Sombra and Bastion too but I forget who played which. I play Mercy as exhausted, cynical medic because you can't tell me that the job doesn't make you that way, even if you do keep your moral code and motivation to do good. Besides, too many of her voice lines are snippy. She also has a tendency to experiment on people, trying new techniques, and has been a bit lax about consent sometimes.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice