What color is the dress??

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Re Allyssa, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I can't even see white on the specifically lightened pictures. It's just a very very pale blue.
    I can see the gold in the lightened picture, and when it's side by side with the others, the original looks a little dark brown to me, but that's as close as I can get.

2. ectoBiologist

ectoBiologist I'm a wise guy

Team black and blue here

3. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

It showed as black and blue to me earlier, shows gold and white now. I think the difference is the lighting where I saw it earlier compared to now.

4. overpants-anon

overpants-anon Qualified Lurker

5. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I was seeing it consistently as white/gold, even having seen the pic where they're actually wearing it, and then I read the Wired article and watching the image where it changes finally realized that the backdrop wasn't a window or sth and so I wasn't seeing it in strong daylight. And now I am seeing it only as blue/black and can't go back and it's fucking me up.

6. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

I keep flipping between seeing the two colours and it's making my head hurt aaaaaaaaah!

7. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

White/gold. The 'white' looks a little bluish. But, I've looked one several things and messed with light settings and it's still white/gold.

8. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I see light blue and brown. Which apparently is the actual coloring of the picture, according to Wired's photoshop. I can't see white or black.
    A friend once saw a gold-on-black dress as silver-on-purple (despite many, many friends telling her otherwise), leading to her being rather badly mismatched with her prom date.

9. asterismThreefold

asterismThreefold edgewitch

Originally read it as white and gold (actual pixels look light blue and yellowish brown on screen, but in a way that I initially interpreted as white and gold).

After opening the first image from the Wired article in a separate tab and zooming in so I could only see the blue and black color-corrected version and staring at that for a while, I could see the black and blue in the original image and kind of imagine the yellow filter that would cause the effect. Then for a bit I could only see the original image as blue and black, which was weird and disconcerting because I could remember thinking just minutes before that I could never get black from the gold/brown trim.

Now it looks blue and black by default, but with a little effort I can still see the white and gold. So weird.

10. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I can definitely see it as only black and blue, and am really confused about people seeing it as white and gold...

11. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

So: Seebs posted this a while ago. I see this as a clear spectrum - white and gold on the left, blue and black on the right.

Interestingly enough, my husband still sees it only as white and gold.

12. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Huh, on my work monitor and lighting it looks blue and black, on my home monitor with late evening lighting I have to work at it to see it like that, otherwise it shows as white/gold.

13. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

There's a cow pattern in the lower-left side of the picture. I can see that as being black and white, but my brain refuses to consider the brownish bits on the dress next to it as black.

14. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Blue and bronze to me, maybe blue and brown.

15. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

Am I weird for seeing it as blue and gold?

16. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I've heard that a bit, so not really!
    I've kind of settled on blue and brown-maybe-a-little-goldish-at-the-top, myself.

I mostly just love memes and this is the newest one, SO.

17. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I keep seeing it first as black/blue, and then it switches to white/gold.

18. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

I could not see it as blue/black until I pulled it up in Photoshop and fiddled with the color balance. http://meagenimage.tumblr.com/post/112233791435/heres-something-ive-discovered-each-half-of

Basically, if you want to see the black/blue, you need to get your brain compensating for the yellowness, and if you want to see it as white/gold, you need to get your brain compensating for blueness. Staring at some uniformly yellow or blue for a while will do the job.

(Aside: Seeing white and gold would happen if your brain was heavily biased towards "compensating for blue" when you first saw the photo. This might be because, just as a random example, you had been spending a long time browsing a certain website that has a blue background by default...?)

ETA: I think it kind of says a thing about me that when I walk into a "there are two radically different perceptions" situation, I not only want to experience both perceptions, but also figure out how to swap between them and share that information with everyone.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    • Like x 3
  19. Aya

Aya words words words

Usually when I see it, it's black and blue. Occasionally it will switch up on me out of nowhere. I can't do it on purpose.

20. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

In the context of the whole picture it is clearly black and blue to me, when they just crop to a part of the dress it looks white and gold because it doesn't have the cues that "hey there is a strong light in the background that is hitting the lens and distorting the colors on this"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice