"What do you mean you adopted another Mawmaw?" Adoptables thread!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Ouija, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Hm. it's been over a week and I haven't heard back from them about it. :\

So I think you're free to snag it! Feel free to PM me and I can give you the deets on stuff

2. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

ughhh ive always wanted to break into the adoptables scene but i feel like its the kinda thing where you really need a decent following to start with to get any sort of attention at all 8((( im also not huge on animals-type adopts, which def seem to be the ones that sell well, siiigh

more cutesy designs also seem to sell the best and that is.....not really what i do lol #rip

3. Void

i feel you though

i'm not popular enough to do adoptables and i'm really discouraged haha...

4. rats

^^^ same. i dont feel like putting hours of work into a thing only to have it ignored :")

• Like x 1
  5. rats

been thinking more abt this the past few minutes: you definitely need to cater to a niche of some sort, be it kink or funky sparkledogs or whatever
    ive been thinking of designing a set of different cool vampires to sell bc hey, even if they dont sell, i fucking love vampires and am 1000% ok with having more of them

• Like x 2
  6. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I have like zero following because i am Not A Real Artist
    buuuuut I design characters pretty much whenever i take a pencil to hand. It's just kind of what I do.
    And between Cyborg-Jerk-Brats and Kawaii-Eye-Gore-Babs I think I might just have fun designing different characters?
    (Do people generally assign character traits to adoptables before offering them or is that more a thing the owner does?)

7. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Hey I got some adoptables tips!

Start out selling your art lower than what you normally would. Even Jash, who sells her normal fullbody commissions at $50 each, knows she can't start out selling her adopts in that range. Average adoptable starting-out price is $15-25. It really is a popularity contest and that's what sucks about it, but if you lowball it to start, you can build a following, get your adopts out there with people who'll buy them, they'll show them off, you get more interest, you can raise prices. I've seen people sell adopts for $5 and I'm always like "what are you doing no that's worth so much more"

Some people have an easier time designing themed adopts (like species), some prefer unique designs. The latter will sell for more, but less frequently.

Spam the tags. Like. Honestly use the whole "first five tags" to your advantage on tumblr. Start a dA account specifically for your adoptables. Make the adoptables your showcase. Good art 4 cheap!!

Drawing adoptables also helps you in your art because you'll be drawing constantly, so if you're discouraged because your art "sucks" (it doesnt) then just keep drawing more 'dopts. Be the Oprah Winfrey of adoptables.

As for "cute" designs, yeah that sells, but I personally prefer the macabre and ooky when I get critter adoptables. You'll find an audience, I promise.

• Like x 1
  8. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

Oh man, adoptables were SO big on Gaia Online back when I was on there. Of course there was always a heavy RP scene attached to it.

I personally loved the creepy and macabre ones, but another popular style were beautiful fantasy horses, like goddamn those horses were in every signature.

edit: honestly if you have a lot of lore, you'll attract at least the RP crowd, I think.

• Like x 3
  9. rats

ooh thank you all for the tips! :OO any specific groups on dA that are good to submit to?

im already pretty confident in my art, its really just exposure stuff for me :"") thanks!!

10. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

11. rats

do you only use tumblr then?? :OOO mannn thats wild, especially with the janky new tagging system

12. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

I look at furAffinity and deviantArt, as well as follow people who reblog adoptable artists.

• Like x 1
  13. Void

I was for a long time working on a huge lore riddled adoptable but I kinda back burnered it cuz I suck and I knew it wouldn't be popular

14. rats

@Void if you dont mind sharing id be interested in hearing it? :O also @ everyone else is this a good dumping ground to ask for opinions on possible adoptables orrrrr

15. Void

god there was a lot of lore uh. dumping it here would be Really Hard like I was literally building a little site and everything to host all the info

• Like x 2
  16. jashindamnit

jashindamnit problematic pettanko loving, crop burning dragon

i made a Lot Of Bweps

[​IMG]
    they 'thpthtpth'

• Like x 3
  17. IvyLB

Oh my god they are adorable
    especially the one with the droopy ears
    *makes tempted noises*

18. jashindamnit

jashindamnit problematic pettanko loving, crop burning dragon

ty! ;v; i still need to figure out a price for them because I Am Bad with pricing blows raspberies

19. IvyLB

The morphs (is that even a valid term for fictional pretend animals?) are all distinct and really lovely! The droopy ears give the face an especially darling look, but I also love the grey-white coloration, the slightly backswept ears on the black&red one and the longer swooshy tail on the three-colored/calico baby
    makes me want to play genetics >_> (this is why you can't let me play stuff like Creatures, I'll try to breed every critter that allows me to try and get the absolute master morph containing very trait that naturally occurs within the species I find remotely cute)

20. Void

baww that's so cute

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice