What Even Am I? (identity musings)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Meagen Image, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

I've been having some thoughts about my identity and needed a place to put them that's not a Discord conversation. This might get rambly.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome if you got 'em.

2. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

I say I'm Conveniently Assumed Female At Birth, because I have a K on my birth certificate ("kobieta", or "female") and I find that convenient.

I've never wished I could be a boy, and when I thought of gender as a binary, I was pretty happy with the side I was on.
    For a while, I told myself "I am a straight girl but I have a masculine side, who is also straight" to try and reconcile my female identity with 1) sometimes I like to wear a nice suit 2) girls are hot. (Those are literally the only two things I ever felt like they needed the "inner masculine side" to explain. Good at math? Liking computers? Playing a lot of video games? Perfectly normal girl things for 1998 Meagen.)

Then I learned that "bisexual" is an orientation and "butch" is a type of presentation, and I stopped needing a "male side".

More recently I've been reading a bunch of posts from the NB crowd, and some of it has been resonating with me. But... only some of it.

I don't know if I identify with the label "autismgender" but I definitely see where the people who do are coming from. Being autistic really gives you a specific perspective, and you can feel how much of gender is a performance. Putting on a costume and acting out mannerisms and just... playing a role.

Many trans and NB people talk about how they tried to play that role and it felt false and uncomfortable and Not Like Themselves. I haven't really felt that. It's fun to put on makeup and a nice dress, get on the stage and be A Lady, and receive applause and accolades! I could also put on a nice suit and be A Butch Lady and turn heads that way, and that would also be fun and cool!

But as with most social interactions, it's fun for a while but it's tiring and eventually I want to go home and drop the act. And I don't really feel like I have to do the whole Female performance for myself. I'm perfectly happy just being A Gamer, A Housekeeper, An Online Friend.

I only really feel like I have a Gender in comparison to others. In a mostly male geeky group, I am A Gamer Lady. Partly I'm slightly on edge in case someone starts being unpleasant, but mostly I'm Not A Guy and happy to increase the diversity. I'll put some perfume on and apply a bit of makeup just to RL Photoshop my skin to be slightly smoother. Maybe wear a slightly nicer shirt, or paint my nails.

But the more actual women are in a group, the more I feel... out of my league, in a way. Not that it's a competition, but it's like I'm an amateur who somehow stumbled into a meeting for pros. I know just enough from my amateur attempts that I can tell how much effort they're putting in, and how consistently. Anyone who does a full face of make-up every morning and co-ordinates her outfit and puts out a Womanly Performance all day is certainly more of a woman than I can manage, regardless of what's in her birth certificate.

In a group of Women I feel more like a Choose Not To Answer, and it's not really unpleasant. It's nice that other people who are much better qualified are doing the thing and I don't have to. I'm not even jealous, I'm just admiring them. (Also they're hot.)

Am I a "she/they"? I'm not sure I want to be a "they". I got called "they" once during a meet-up and it felt... a bit alienating, honestly. My main thought was "I didn't think my presentation was *that* androgynous today".

So I guess I might be that most bland of NB, the "woman lite". "she/her but I don't want to put too much effort into it". My gender is "somewhat disagree" and my preferred presentation is "A Friend".

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice