What music do you like?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by lobo, Aug 16, 2016.

1. lobo

lobo Fandom Trash

So I didn't see anything like this going back a couple of pages. But what kind of music do you guys like? Is there anything you'd recommend?

I've been working on some playlists lately, some for fandom stuff I'll post on 8tracks when I finish, and some for me that I'll just burn onto CDs for the car. The non-fandom playlists I'm working on right now are for gender feels (which there's next to nothing in that playlist, haha), stuff that makes me happy when I'm feeling down, silly songs, and... I want to make a playlist of the music that's just really soothing when I need to calm down.

So, just talk about music. What do you like? What do you recommend? Do you play anything/sing or just listen?

• Like x 2
  2. lobo

lobo Fandom Trash

3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

There's the Current Music thread, but maybe that's not quite what you were looking for?

In any case, I like a bunch of different things, although most of what I listen to probably falls in the Jpop range. I didn't really like music as a kid, until I started watching more anime on CN and was entranced by opening and ending themes, so that's probably where that comes from. Now I try to listen to more stuff, and usually find new music through the weekly Vocaloid rankings and 8tracks playlists. Sometimes also the recommended videos on Youtube. I also listen to a lot of vidya game BGM/other instrumentals.

I used to play French horn and trumpet, but it's been years and I have no embouchure left to speak of. I love to sing and I do all the time, but just for fun.

My very meandering Youtube favorites playlist gives an idea of what I like: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=FLWlD7XeXnxxNyEWKClCls4w

• Like x 1
  4. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I was raised almost exclusively on classical, got into J-pop via anime, then got into K-pop via K-dramas and that's what I like most now. I'm sort of into everything, though? I mean, I don't like every song I hear, but I like at least a couple of songs from most genres I encounter. Usually I find new music by watching TV shows or by listening to other people's playlists. I have twenty or so playlists on whatever device/website I'm using, because I sort by language, genre, and feeling (calm, loud, cheerful) plus I have a couple of playlists for when I'm around people I don't want to shock with sudden loud angry Korean rap. I just went through the playlists I listen to regularly on Youtube and added one song each to my favourites, so that should be a fair sampling of my taste.

My mom almost always worked singing into our school routines when I was growing up, and we usually went to churches that sang three or four hymns per service, so I spent a lot of time singing as a kid and still do now. I've been in three or four choirs and my family sings together sometimes, too. Oh, I have a clarinet I haven't learned to play, and one of my sisters is giving me piano lessons. It's pretty fun but ... my hands are too small....

Recommendation: I ran across this guy a week or so ago - he does a lot of guitar covers for drama OSTs and pop songs, and I liked the one or two original pieces that I checked out, too.

@Saro I recognise some of the songs on your playlist! I found Moondust somehow and had it on one of my playlists for a while (but I wear most songs out pretty fast...) and I've heard a few of those Vocaloid songs. I am pretty sure the version of Rolling Girl I used to listen to had less screaming, though.

5. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I might wander back into this thread because
    Music
    but, right now I'm living in this crazy cool house where a band called Mommy LongLegs practices in the basement, and they sound pretty awesome (Bandcamp page here)

• Like x 1
  6. Hatchback

Hatchback ... he is just fine again today

Hello, this is a good thread. I like literally a bit of everything except for jazz, country, and reggae. My favourite genre is and will forever be synthpop (Mesh, And One, Depeche Mode, etc.) and its successors, electropop and synthrock (please listen to Big Data and Joywave, thank you. Also Purity Ring, who I saw live, and it was divine), followed closely by electroindustrial (which is a broad label - I enjoy bands spreading all the way from Assemblage 23 to Nine Inch Nails), and also really get a lot from rap and hip hop (both mainstream - particularly trap music - and alternative, from Missy Elliot to Doomtree, who are probably one of my favourite bands of all time). But I'll listen to and enjoy almost everything, even just a few songs, from neo-swing to radio pop (also, I've been really into kpop lately).

I just... really like music, I don't think I can overstate that. Soothes the savage beast, etc. I have both Pandora One (after using the free version for like a decade) and Spotify, and use both heavily. If you have Spotify, you can listen to a good sampler platter of my tastes here on my personal playlist, which grows pretty regularly (please note that some songs may be triggering, particularly for abuse survivors). I don't play any instruments, but I do really like to sing. When I'm having a bad day or, particularly, am in a mood spiral (featuring, for me, intense agitation and restless - Raw nerves abound), it is incredibly helpful to get in my car, load up my playlist, turn up the volume all the way, and just drive, feel the road, and sing as loud as I can, in my own little world. It's grounding and centering, and can even help to break dissociation. So, yeah, I'd say music is a really big deal to me. A couple of really important songs to me right now are The Strumbellas - Spirits and Ou Est Le Swimming Pool - Jackson's Last Stand.

(I also fucking love to dance, which is notable because I am otherwise incredibly reluctant to and anxious about performing or drawing attention to myself in public. Music helps me let go and just move. I think I'm even pretty decent at it!)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    • Like x 4
  7. lobo

lobo Fandom Trash

I'll have to look into some of your recommendations later. It's 1:30 am right now and I can't sleep but I'm just... trying to make myself go to bed?

My musical taste is a bit all over, but... I generally dislike rap and country. It's not that I hate the genres, it's that I hate that a lot of rap seems to be bitches and hoes I got shot? And a lot of country is just... I don't even know what it is exactly that I don't like. But I really like the German rap my friend gave me because not that kind of content and also the Swedish rap/swing/whatever group Movits. And for country I like Johnny Cash, but doesn't everyone?

I think the main genre I listen to is various things in the rock/metal spectrum.

I also have some playlists on my iPod to divide things up by what language they're in since I have a decent amount of German, Spanish, and Japanese stuff. I also have a bit of Swedish and Norwegian, but I don't think I've sorted those yet. But like, I really love German for rock/metal. The sound just fits so well! And I really like Japanese for pop. Also the only screamo music I have is Japanese because normally I don't like how in screamo it's just noise and you can't understand anything, but... Nah, the one Japanese screamo album I have is better than the simply noise screamo.

Also, listening to music in other languages has helped me work on my listening comprehension! Though the sorts of words I learn aren't always good words. Ah, Rammstein, teaching German learners how to say things like "punish me".

• Like x 2
  8. Hatchback

Hope you enjoy some of it!

Definitely disagree on the content of rap music. It depends on who you're listening to. But yes, those themes do predominate what's played on the radio, which is really sad because that's not even close to what the genre actually is, but it does make money, and I hate the game, but not the player, as far as that's concerned. I just... everyone knows Chief Keef and the Ying Yang Twins, but meanwhile, Lupe Fiasco got political, and got dropped. It's frustrating and a deeply fraught thing.

I actually do like some Johnny Cash songs, but he was indeed nearly universal.

Also, hahaha, your comment on Rammstein. I also started out in that genre (Neue Deutsche Härte) with them but very quickly moved on to Eisbrecher and Megaherz, which were really formative musical experiences when I was younger. Rammstein are pretty much the Linkin Park of Germany, and the most intense example of Big In Japan I've ever seen.

• Like x 1
  9. NumiTuziNeru

NumiTuziNeru @#$%?

well, i have a Lot of music i like (the mountain goats and stephin merritt being among the biggest) but right now i'm just off the rails on the hype train for the new sabaton album coming out literally tomorrow, so there's that

• Like x 2
  10. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I thought that rap was like that too, but once I started listening to it the predominating theme (...in Korean rap, anyway, which is mostly what I'm listening to) seems to be "I'm successful because I'm good and I work hard while everyone else parties or lies around, now I have a ton of money, suck it losers".

• Like x 1
  11. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I like listening to female artists, bonus points if they're sort of 'female power'-lyrics. My favourite genre is pop music :) I like pretty much everything that comes on the radio, but I can get critical of lyrics :P

• Like x 2
  12. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

For rap that isn't about bitches and hoes maybe try Aesop Rock? Very, very fond of him. Also if you're fond of Johnny Cash maybe look into Gene Autry and Marty Robbins? Robbins in particular I'm very fond of and he has that story song thing going on with his stuff.

• Like x 1
  13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Glutamine can be that way, yeah! I'm not entirely sure why it's on there (generally it's not really my thing) but apparently Past Saro liked it. I tend to listen to just a few songs at a time, if I have a choice, and so my taste kind of meanders around as I find new things/remember specific songs I want to hear/am in moods for particular sounds.

• Like x 1
  14. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

So I actually have a radio show!, which I do weekly when college is happening (I meant to do shows occasionally this summer but executive dysfunction, etc. happened). I have my playlists from past shows on Spotify, so for those of you who use that: this one is color-themed, here's another that I think is pretty good, and another. (I will talk more about music when I have the spoons)

• Like x 2
  15. Hatchback

@IndigoRiffRaff - Hey, I used to do a radio show in college too, however briefly! I miss it, but it didn't have many listeners, I don't think. I'd like to get involved in it again when I go back to college, I'll have to check your sets out!

• Like x 2
  16. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I like things with heavy beats that are hard on the base. A lot of rock/metal/altrock/etc for screaming down the highway at night, lots of electronica (I LOVE DUBSTEP AND DRUM AND BASS and speedcore and-) and looooads of hip hop and pop. I've been getting really into Janelle Monae recently, and it's delightful.

Rap, hip hop, and r&b are fiddly as a genre. I like hip hop more than I like rap, but some rappers I'm terribly fond of. (Childish Gambino and Lupe Fiasco are up there.) It's got a perception of being about bitches and shit, but the perception (much like the Twangy Whiny Love Song for country) is a self fulfilling prophecy when it comes to the radio, which is frustrating. I can't say the the genre is more or less misogynist than any other genre (metal comes to mind) but that perception does make it harder to find things you like.

Nerdcore is a really good starting place for something radically different from the percieved norm. Nicki and Kanye can both drop into "bitches and hos" territory but they're pretty accessible and have some really thougtful commentaries in their raps too.

Instrumentals are the other thing I like lots of.

(Okay I'll be honest: I'll listen to anything but am deeply suspicious of indie rock as a whole. White dudes bleating softly into a microphone sets off my misophonia something hard, so I tend to steer clear of it all just in case. Country gives me the same problems sometimes, but it's less frequent. Unless there's twanging, at which point all bets are off.)

• Like x 2
  17. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Used to do a public radio show too!

• Like x 3
  18. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

I am a pickyboots with very narrow tastes, so while I really like music, I only really like a few particular kinds. Nothing wrong with anything outside of those kinds, they just kind of slide through my brain without leaving much of anything behind.

My Favorite Band Ever is VNV Nation - heavy beats, lots of electronic sounds, beautifully multilayered, and lyrics that are deeply meaningful. The few songs that are about relationships can, with one exception that I can think of, be applied to many kinds of relationships. Even if you're not into electronic-industrial-futurepop stuff, I highly recommend their orchestral album, Resonance. (Illusion makes me teary normally, but the Resonance version is guaranteed to make me cry.)

Other than that, it's mostly video game music - I really like the Lovers in a Dangerous Space-Time soundtrack, the Undertale cover album Determination, the Crypt of the Necrodancer soundtrack, and 80% of the Homestuck music. As far as actual bands that aren't VNV Nation go, I mostly keep coming back to Poe's Haunted album, Depeche Mode, Dead Can Dance, and a smattering of New Wave stuff.

• Like x 4
  19. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

As a fair VNV fan I support that recommendation :)

20. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

oh yay, music thread! i love music, i've been around it my whole life, and it's been vastly important to me at various times. i played flute from middle school through junior year of high school, being a Band Kid was a big part of my identity.

my tastes tend towards the eclectic, and when people ask me i usually respond "gross hipster bullshit." i will never forget the time i was in an achingly pretentious hipster bar and the music they were playing was more or less my exact pandora station. i'm embarrassing. basically i love bright-sounding pop music, whether of the j-, k-, or american varieties, nifty techno music, classical, classic rock, and a smattering of hip-hop and rap. some of my Favoritest bands & artists are Studio Killers, Walk The Moon, Florence + The Machine, Marian Hill, Anamanaguchi, Passion Pit, BØRNS, Foster The People, Hozier, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, f(x), The Beatles (i know i know i can't help it they were A Big Deal to younger me), David Bowie, and Queen. but i listen to a loooooooot of music.

some of my most recent faves have come from the song exploder podcast, which if you've never listened to before, i highly recommend. it's very cool.

i also make a lot of playlists for my OCs or specific aesthetics, which you can check out here

when i was in middle school i was obnoxious degrees of emo kid, and Fall Out Boy/Panic! At The Disco/The Killers/AFI/My Chemical Romance were my personal jam. i still really like panic- it's the vegas kid in me, i can't not love 'em. and then for a while in high school i listened to nothing but classic rock and got real pretentious about how i didn't like ~mainstream~ music, i was awful. also, like many a Sad Girl before me, i was Super into Emilie Autumn for a bit. she was my first acknowledged Girl Crush actually.

also @IndigoRiffRaff & @Hatchback i did a radio show in college for a bit too! it was with my two friends and we made it Tron Themed, so we played a lot of electronic stuff. it was pretty fun, putting together playlists was my favorite thing. i was especially proud of our all-electronic themed halloween playlist. it was a good time.

and re: rap, i used to feel the same way!! but if you look hard enough, you can find a lot of stuff out there that is beyond the very narrowly defined limits of what gets played on the radio. michael swaim from cracked did a neat video about his love of rap, and his "thesis" is that rap is just a method of talking about whatever you want, and being really clever about wordplay. he says shakespeare would probably be a rapper, and i agree. some random songs i'm into: worlds to run by busdriver; dark comedy morning show by open mike eagle; words, words, words by bo burnham, work work by clipping (which is notable for being the band daveed diggs raps with, and i love him, so i mean), a wake by macklemore, heartbeat by childish gambino, and hate by charisma.com (which is japanese but still really cool).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    • Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice