What should inpatient care look like?

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by Elph, Apr 28, 2016.

1. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

that's...halfway decent, I guess? the one I was in, you had to shower in the morning right before or right after breakfast, or you weren't showering at all that day until right before bedtime. and you had to go to bed and wake up at the same time as everyone else. but you didn't need a doctor's order for anything except food-related stuff.

2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Autistic-friendly meals. Sensory issues and stuff. It's necessary and no one does it.

• Like x 4
  3. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

AND PUBLIC COMPUTERS.

• Like x 2
  4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Considering different people have different needs in that area, what do you think the best way to deal with that would be? Multiple options at every meal, and ask people about food restrictions on intake and adapt the menu if necessary to make sure they've got food they can stand?

• Like x 3
  5. Insomniac

Insomniac tired

I was inpatient at both institutions and psych wards several times. All involuntarily. I'm best friends with a woman who I've had to commit several times.
    Had to commit my father once when he pulled a shotgun on my mother, brother, cousin and myself.

Which lead to my family screaming and calling me names on front of the neighbors and police for daring to go "above my station" and making them "losing face", and I, gleefully, retaliated with an umbrella.

Which lead to incarceration and hospitalization. The only time I remember how I started it.

Fun times.

--cultural understanding. I felt that was a failure of communication on the staff's part.

• Like x 3
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

@Insomniac it might be comforting to know that that saying actually goes "the blood of the covenant* is thicker than the water of the womb". most people don't know that. so if you have a shitty family the saying means you don't have to stick by them.

...i dunno, maybe that doesn't help. just thought i'd say. also i'm sorry you had to go through that, witnessed.

*basically your friends or found family

• Like x 4
  7. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

@Deresto I think of that every time anyone uses that phrase, and @Insomniac, I hope it's a comfort to know that.

• Like x 3
  8. Elph

I'm reminded of multiple ED treatment centres I've heard of where for some reason they feel the need to have the patients wake up at ridiculous o'clock in the morning every day to be weighed...

• Like x 2
  9. LadyNighteyes

You can still weigh them not at ass o'clock AM, guys...

• Like x 5
  10. Lib

Lib Well-Known Member

...I literally shuddered from how triggery that would be also, omg.

like seriously, there's a reason I haven't weighed myself in three years. @_@

11. LadyNighteyes

My guess would be that at least some of those sorts of places would recognize that as a common issue, and probably use scales where you can't see the readout? I've been in doctors' offices with that kind.

• Like x 2
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i don't think most doctors would give a crud if you stand on a scale backwards. i've had a couple ask if i want to see the number (i usually say yes b/c i'm curious) and one where i was actually told to get on backwards (but they didn't say backwards, just gestured to do it that way) and i'm pretty sure your weight is the same if you face away from the counter. if you get shit for that the doctor's just being a dick.

• Like x 2
  13. Elph

I used to ask doctors not to tell me my weight, but then one time the nurse wrote my weight down on the file and the "don't tell her this btw" note afterwards and the doctor was reading it out loud and not scanning ahead and it was bad. Ever since then I just flat-out refuse to be weighed. (Didn't stop Dr Fuckboy the Asshole Psychiatrist from commenting that I was "overweight" in his report, knowing full well that a copy was being sent to me. Even though he did not weigh me and did not know my weight, height, or BMI. But that's a whole other can of worms.)

/tangent

14. Lib

Lib Well-Known Member

ugh, that sounds awful, commiserations. (and Dr Fuckboy gets worse every time you mention him @_____@)

• Like x 2
  15. LadyNighteyes

Jesus god, they seriously did that? O_O I'd call "refusing blankets" straight-up abusive.

• Like x 2
  16. LadyNighteyes

Ugh, I hate those sorts of blankets, they feel like foam. DDD::: But seriously, I'd be cold with just that, and I'm sure as hell in a better position to not freeze than most people with anorexia. Not taking care of people's basic needs to try to blackmail them into cooperating (when you're not even promising to FIX those missing needs if they do) is beyond not okay. DDD:::

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice