What's your fictional "type"?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by vuatson, Aug 5, 2018.

1. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Other examples of Manic Dickheads: Soldier, Scout, Medic, SAXTON HAAAAALE from TF2
    Other examples of Depressed Assholes: Spy, Heavy, Demoman while sober, Miss Pauling from TF2

Wildcards: Sniper, Pyro, Engineer

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Those Two Bad Guys. I always wanted to be the smart half of one of those duos.

Also, scrawny grungy trashy boys.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

A walking disaster who feels so many things and doesn't know how to handle it (but is aware they're not handling it well), and is either spiraling towards a firey implosion or teetering on the edge of a total breakdown

Starscream, Prowl, Whirl, Cyclonus, Pharma, Loki, Zuko, Seivarden, etc.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 5
  4. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

People have the right to stan one trashy white boy in fandom and I have chosen to stan DA Cullen because he hits so many of my keys through his entire character arc

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  5. Birdy

Birdy so long

i have a type and it is:
    • CRAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWLING

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

My favorites are either characters who remind me of myself or people I want to fuck. There are never any exceptions to this rule. Ever. Either I want to fuck them or I am them. If something lacks a character I can either project on or want to bang then chances are I'll be very lukewarm to the cast as a whole. I may like them, but I'll never love them the way I love the Kencyrath cast, for example.

Characters like me traits:
    • Abandonment issues
    • Attachment issues
    • Anger management problems
    • Parental abuse history
    • Religious abuse history
    • Shy
    • Nervous
    • Anxious
    • Prone to worst case thinking
    • Indecisive
    • Sense of self issues
    • Lacking in confidence
    • Prone to panic attacks
    • Feels at consistent 11's
    • Violent, physically or verbally
    • Cruel
    • Concerned with not being seen as weak
    • Heavily attached to specific moral codes
    • Prone to extreme black or white thinking
    Characters I want to fuck traits:

• Confident
    • Smug
    • Acts with bravado
    • Freely does as they please
    • Optimistic
    • An asshole
    • Pokes fun at the character I relate to
    • Bit of an idiot
    • Selfish
    • Will not give up on others
    • Obsessive
    • Bitchy
    • Possessive to the point of killing me if I dare be attracted to anyone but them
    • Knows exactly who they are
    • Forceful
    • Decisive
    • Will resort to violence if need be
    • Diplomatic

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  7. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Survivors. Any character that's been through hell and come out swinging. Especially if it leaves them bitter and full of shitty coping skills. Manipulative tendencies and a lack of self-preservation especially. Characters that act scary to protect against threats real or imagined.

Also just straight evil bastards. Not a redeeming trait to be found. But not cartoon villains who kick puppies for laughs. Smart evil bastards.

And eerie characters who Know Things. Especially if it fucks them up, and/or they're mildly cryptic. The spookier the better.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 4
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Weasels and their relatives. I automatically loved Tagora when I saw he had a ferret lusus, I loved the obscure Welkin Weasels books for about ten years longer than is age-appropriate, and I totally want a Furret.

• Like x 5
  9. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Anyone who gets a good villain song - Lord Dominator, Dr. Facilier, Ursula, Scar, Frollo, Pegleg from The Black Rider, Bill Sykes from Oliver!
    Perky cute girls with excessive personal armories and destructive tendencies

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The Enfant Terrible and Tyke Bomb tropes. I miss writing Molly the murderloli.

• Like x 3
  11. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

I've got a few:

Happy go lucky characters hiding a dark secret/dark past. Usually they are tricksters/joksters, sometimes they are outright evil, but it's hard to tell whose side they are actually on, but usually they have a soft spot for the protags. Examples: Xelloss from slayers, Fai from tsubasa chronicles, The Fool from the assassins series (robin hobb), Kaworu (Evangelion), Terezi (Homestuck), Knockout (sort of, he doesn't quite fit this type, but he's the only decepticon that has any fun in tfp).

Characters who aren't supposed to exist: a replacement for another character, a stand-in, someone that will be discarded in favor of the original when that character returns. The clones, the nobodies, the seeds. They are so tragic, they have no real place in the story on there own and they either manifest or were created for a specific purpose. They aren't allowed to live their own lives, someone else is always more important. Examples: Roxas (Kingdom hearts), Kadaj (FF AC), Kuron (Voltron), Nami (KH2), Syaoran (tsubasa chronicles).

I have a thing in general for characters who don't meet their parents expectation or ones whose parents want them dead outright, characters who have been discarded and have to struggle to find their own family/life.

The Showboats: cocky, competent, flashy, impulsive, loud. They are selfish, image conscious and want to be the center of attention at all times, but they also care a great deal for their friends. These characters always have sometime to prove and it drives them. Examples: Lina Inverse (Slayers), Duo Maxwell (he was more laid back then they usually are, he talked big but didnt take himself too seriously), Karkat (he was less selfish then he pretended to be though), Rodimus (Transformers)

Most of my favs are male because I've had a hard time finding girls in media that I could relate to, especially in anime.

I think I've got other types too, will edit this later.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  12. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

...have you ever read the Vorkosigan books? several of these made me instantly think of Miles and Mark.

13. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

I haven't read a novel in a really long time, at least not one that i havent read before. Got a link?

14. Kemmasandi

Kemmasandi Optimus Prime's disapproving eyebrows

Big guys with big muscles and big personalities, and, as often happens, big trauma, particularly if they're otherwise generally upbeat and/or optimistic. Think Thor, Steve Rogers, All Might, Alex Louis Armstrong, Kenpachi Zaraki... Optimus Prime, if we're going for robots, and TFP Megatron. (It's at least partially an 'I want to be them' thing.)

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  15. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

I have 3 main types.

1. Autistics/Weird Social Type (Merrill, Cole, Luna, AURI, etc)
    2. Dedicated to SOMETHING enough that they would ride through fire and lightning to get it (Lan Fan, MIRIO, MUMEN RIDER, Iida, FUCKING GAROU) haha they say one punch man is a parody, a joke, but man, it reads like vonnegut except BETTER and DEEPER
    3. Skillful as all hell at something (Sebastian, Sakamoto, Mai Valentine)

1. because lol Relatable

2. because see 1, also fuck man. Garou. He tries so fucking hard. He throws everything, he comes clawing tooth and nail and he is the TOP and even for all the evil he does. He still fucking saves this kid, PRIORITIZES HIM EVEN. Just. I love watching people TRY. It's so wildly human and its so GOOD. and people being passionate about their things and people PROVING that passion.

3. because man. It's just COOL. Like. Tell me you're not cheering when you see somebody just pull off some impossible shit. Even if you know they're "cheating" with magic or whatever. It's so cool to watch them just absolutely excel and the people around them realizing just how GOOD they are at their thing.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 1
  16. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

There are three characters that I positively identify as "favourites" and they all share the following traits/character arcs:
    • Wonky empathy and/or emotions
    • Good at killing people
    • Extremely loyal or devoted thinking
    • Villain/antagonist when introduced
    • Protagonist is the catalyst for eventual loss of official Bad Guy status
    There are lots of other characters that I guess are my favourite but the gap between them and the top three is so wide I usually just call them "default favourites" or "if I had to pick one". Common traits:
    • Loyalty (especially Slytherin primaries)
    • Cleverness
    • Violent tendencies/skills
    • Good at masking emotions
    • Physically small or unimposing
    There is just something very very appealing to me about any character who doesn't look like much of a threat but has this laser-focus of devotion to a person, and the means to help that person get what they want, and few to no scruples about flattening anything or anyone in their way. E.g. Seta Soujirou from Rurouni Kenshin, who's one of my top three. (My other two are Gaara, who I read as a Slytherin primary who started off intensely loyal to himself because he had no one else but eventually branched out after connecting with Naruto, and Spike from BtVS.)

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  17. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I made this chart a while ago:
    venn diagram.png
    It is neither comprehensive nor restricted to traits that actually matter re: my falling in love with them, but I most certainly have a type.

(The more general way to my heart is to be some combination of snarky, scheming, manipulative, and hypercompetent.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    • Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

another Type I realized I have: sweet kid who shares their body/soul space with an ambiguously moral dark spirit whose main motivation is protecting them

until recently the only character I knew who fits that description was Yuugi Mutou+the spirit of the Puzzle from yugioh, so I didn’t think it counted as a type so much as just a favorite character, but then a week or so ago I finished watching hunter x hunter and met

Alluka Zoldyck+Nanika aka My Perfect And Beautiful Daughter(s)

so now I’m counting it

incidentally if anyone knows of any other characters fitting that description please oh please let me know so that I may Consume The Media

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Further types Aon has...In terms of relation we also have to include the forever a child. This is especially good if the actually 500 year old child is Not Happy with their predicament and if they are especially bratty. The child should desperately want to grow up but be aware that they can't and react to this in fairly childish fashiosn. In terms of people I want to fuck we have the forever a child's caretaker. Devoted. Loyal. Willing to scold the 500 year old toddler.

• Like x 3
  20. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Another Type of mine: *does heroic things* *is generally a nice person* *is just sort of vaguely confused when people act like they're a good person/hero because obviously they aren't???*

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice