What's your fictional "type"?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by vuatson, Aug 5, 2018.

1. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

My Types, A Non-Exhaustive List

villains who are genuinely friends with other friends. whether they're tsundere about it or straight up like "yeah this is my bff we Do Crimes"
    preferably they have some dopey character traits but honestly straight up trashboys with several friends they'd still probably die for is a+

survivors of abuse who've come out of it with Weird Bullshit Baggage

trashboys who think they're cooler than they are, preferably edgelords with shitty backstories

any female character who is shit on by the fanbase. any of them. all of them.

tbh the shorter and angrier a character is the more i probably like them. this is because i too am short and angry.

fashion lesbians

cute nerds who are good at math

this is a very weirdly specific one, but hot guys who do archery. unsurprisingly i'm dating a hot guy who does archery. wow. what a shocking turn of events.

• Like x 9
    • Agree x 1
  2. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

An uncommon one, but I've come across three new faves in quick succession: Someone who is very firmly convinced that they're not a real person, and that nobody is going to care about them the way they'd care about a real person..... and is then very confused, frustrated, and/or completely oblivious when this proceeds to happen anyways.

• Agree x 11
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  3. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Christ I really have a Type or at least two -

Manipulative/Magnificent Bastards who think circles around their competitors but sometimes get hoist by their own petard - (Izaya Orihara and Lelouch vi Brittania were the main ones back in the day, and I was drawn into Axel and Zexion's characters in Chain of Memories for those exact traits. I was also drawn into RPing solavellan for a friend when she pointed out that Solas is the older and more despairing fail version of those terrible clever twinkboys. There are others, but my brains drawing a blank.)

Barely to hardly tame beautiful nightmares who I want to pet but would not dare - Alucard (Hellsing) Elias (Ancient Magus Bride) The Cluster (Steven Universe - I'm sure they would let me but I don't know that I'd survive their affection) Her Imperious Condencsion (She would murder me and I would let her) all and any of the Witches from PMMM

Please note that while I love watching these guys from a safe distance I would move to the next UNIVERSE if I heard of their coming,

• Like x 7
  4. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

didn't realize this was a Type of mine but i'm starting to think it is..........yikes
    but i really like Rich Dumbasses. specifically, i like when they're born into ludicrous wealth, have a lot of unseen bias because they were born into it and have very little real world experience
    and then they go out into the real world and life keeps punching them in the face over and over and over
    ideally until they become less of a dumbass

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 4
  5. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

so I just realized who Bakugou from BNHA reminds me of - it's fucking Vriska. And they are both my favorites because my type is "living disaster trainwreck of a person who equates success with worthiness to exist" apparently

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  6. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Wow haha look at me rating so many posts "agree".

Otherwise:

I really love characters who are deeply damaged in some way, especially if they are on The Long Road To Recovery like (especially in fanfic because let's face it, A Lot of canons don't properly address this stuff) this character has untreated Issues but! Their friends notice and help! (Even better) their enemies notice and help! Something happens to make them realize that life is worth it (at least a little)! "I was going to commit suicide but you happened to talk to me and now we're hanging out and you know what, today's not a good day... maybe tomorrow."; sometimes staying alive is just putting dying off one day at a time! Love Doesn't Heal Mental Illness But Damn Does Unconditional Support Help! "Let's use our experience with trauma to help others"! "I'm going to power through this with sheer force of will- uh yeah that didn't work, good thing I have friends"! "Oh hey look, more people care if I live or die than I thought"! Everyone saw them as only the hero, but they secretly needed help but viciously suppressed it because they thought they shouldn't need it, but now they have the support they need because their friend/crush/sibling/nemesis noticed! Etc!

The character is Good but is Tempted to go Bad. (Or actually does.) (Hello, pre52 Red Robin.)

The character is Bad but deep down they are Good. (Hello, Leonard Snart.)

"My methods are amoral but hey the ends justify the means, right," no they don't "and anyway I'm a secret softy and I'm helping a lot of people even if nobody knows about it or would believe it if they did - also did I mention my tragic backstory?" (Hello, Jason Todd.)

Something creepy and supernatural is going on directly concerning them and they Are Not Having It, Thank You. (Hello, Watanuki.)

Trauma trauma snark snark drama drama bam! Suddenly badass! (Hello, Dave Strider.)

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 3
  7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

oh ho hoo, that is the Good shit

• Agree x 2
  8. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

I don't know if I like characters voiced by Junichi Suwabe because I like his voice, or because they tend to be a combination of "totally badass" and "1000% Done with this shit".

• Like x 4
  9. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

Demons. Just. Listen. I went through a werewolf phase. I went through a shapeshifter phase. I went through a vampire phase. Then one day I was like wait...pointy teeth...dubious means to survive...daddy issues and christianity... IM A DEMON FURRY

• Winner x 7
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Welcome to the fold, Eddie Brock and Venom. neither one of you is a sweet kid but you are a couple of living disasters so you get a free pass

• Like x 7
  11. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

this is a good type, big same
    wrt that last part - I mean, some undertale fics do approximately that angle for the
    Frisk & Chara situation? except with a LOT of variety on the exact relationship between them + where Chara falls on the scale of "irredeemably evil forever" vs "did literally nothing wrong"...

• Like x 3
  12. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

Blue Girls.

Especially Punk Blue Girls.

See: Chloe Price, Vriska Serket.

Also Girls Who Could/Would Kill Me.

See: Widowmaker, anyone buff enough to break my arms.

On a different level, I have a more empathy-driven thing for characters that are trying so fucking hard to do the right thing and it doesn't work out because of things beyond their control, especially when that slow despair sets in as they realize they can't stop it from spiraling. Suffer my children. S u f f e r.

Also robots/androids/cyborgs/aliens/animals/technologically enhanced humans/etc etc and the struggle with their nature and definition of personhood when among 'normal' humans and so forth. Give me that existential struggle. What does it mean to exist. What does it mean to have intelligence. Where does life begin. Where does a soul begin. What is the difference between a machine and an animal and a person.

Gosh I love cyborgs.

(I know I should read transformers don't @ me one day I will get there, one day)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
  13. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

looks at my growing collection of tabs with Venom movie gifsets

hm well looks like i might try to see that movie because it looks A+ and fun

• Like x 1
  14. cantankerousAquarius

cantankerousAquarius Acrasial Macrology

Isolated and damaged. Literally physically separated or just emotionally/socially distant, whatever. Shane from Stardew Valley, Seivarden from the Imperial Radch series, I'd think of more but I'm rather tired.

My moirail pointed this out for me and I died by fuckor

• Like x 9
  15. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

bitchy prettyboys, i’m realizing. in hindsight it’s obvious but. oof. if they have long eyelashes and dubious morals and or snark for days i am apparently Here For It

it works really well for antagonists, yeah, but protags too. taako’s good out here.

• Like x 7
  16. dragon

dragon megatron apologist

big, strong, morally complicated old men

• Like x 5
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

In terms of artwork? Dark skin with light hair.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  18. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

I don't have a specific recurring Type for my faves to the extent a lot of people do, but things that can certainly help include:
    • Identity Issues™
    • Super kind, patient, polite, reserved, or shy characters who are secretly a mass of deeply-buried, burning resentment
    • Characters that either are literal embodiments of some sort of abstract concept/feeling/theme, or just heavily thematically/metaphorically represent one
    • Characters who seemed to just be uncomplicatedly cool/nice/"likable" being revealed* to actually be kind of fucked up and/or kind of awful in their own right
      * or just acknowledged, if it was already noticeable but didn't seem to be intended by the author
      • (... characters being revealed/acknowledged to actually be kind of fucked up and/or awful in general, honestly)
    • Kids who actually act like real kids with their own personalities, instead of just having Generic Kid Who Resembles Literally No Real-Life Kids as their main personality trait
    • Snarky jerks that the other characters and author actually acknowledge are snarky jerks and treat accordingly—e.g., by considering their behavior as obnoxious/immature/mean as it actually is sometimes, and portraying it as a (often negative) character trait instead of solely as a vehicle for funny lines
    • Characters with depression and/or anxiety, let's be real

• Like x 6
  19. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I have realized my Type Of All Types - nonhuman intelligences who have very deep and powerful relationships with humans (particularly if those relationships involve protective feelings on one or both sides) but conflicted feelings about humanity in general. See: Murderbot, Temeraire, Breq.

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  20. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

White haired anime woman with a mysterious and/or tragic backstory.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice