When does stuff stop being "new"?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by chthonicfatigue, Feb 6, 2016.

1. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I noticed the other day that I am still referring to the 'new' decor and carpet in our living room - six years after it was last decorated.

Im curious. How long does it take you to stop thinking of stuff as "new"? And does it change based on what type of item it is?

2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

for me, i think it's when getting it stops being a fresh memory. when the thing starts feeling like it's just naturally there, the way air is. which, well, i dunno about the timeframe for that, but i think it's easier with small things, small meaning both in the physical size sense and the emotional sense.

• Like x 1
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I honestly have no idea. It probably depends on the sort of thing too. Part of me just wants to apply the three month rule to things that aren't lps now. THREE MONTHS IS NEW. YEP. NEW STANDARD.

4. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Hm. My apartment definitely isn't "the new apartment" - I've been living in it for almost exactly 3 years. I think in a few months it stopped being The New Apartment to me. Probably around the time my bedroom started looking more or less like I expected it to, around... 6 months in. Then it already felt like a place I had settled into. But clothes stop being New Clothes after a couple uses, at most. New friends can settle into being "friends" super fucking quick. Literally the second time I talked to Gui and Will they were already eternal bosom buddies and in fact it's super weird to talk about stuff that happened immediately before I met them and realize they just... weren't in my life then. I wasn't even aware they existed! So yeah it changes, and I think the defining key to that change is familiarity - which is found differently in different things.

5. Greywing

Greywing Resident dead bird

Things count as "new" to me for a relatively long time. The car I have is still "the new car" even though my parents bought it in 2004. The shirt I'm wearing is still new, even though I got it about a month and a half ago, as is my phone (3 months?). I'm not sure what it depends on, really!

I think frequency of use is a factor, but I can't figure out exactly how it applies for me.

If something is a change or an update to something I had before, that seems to make it feel new for longer than if it's something I didn't have before at all.

I will think on this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice