When the Sea Catcadas Cry

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by LadyNighteyes, Jan 7, 2017.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Hi, I'm rereading Umineko EP 1 and in spoiler retrospect this is the funniest line in the entire episode.
    vague.png

2. Alexand

Alexand Rhymes with &

LAST NOTE OF THE GOLDEN WITCH IS FINALLY AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH ;________; (as is the Saku VN adaptation of Confession, which I will be sure to revisit and enjoy thoroughly once I've read Last Note)

(Major spoilers if you haven't finished Umineko, naturally, since this is a post-canon bonus episode)

I'm so happy..........................

EDIT: By the way, if you happen to have made it this long without having spoiled yourself on Last Note, and you're going into it with nothing...can you pls tell me what your experiences are with it, how solvable you find it, what your feelings are reading it, that kind of thing...................

('cuz I got impatient and spoiled myself several weeks ago, and thus have stolen from myself the ability to read this episode with "first time reading it" eyes)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    • Winner x 1
  3. Lazarae

Lazarae You won't be the death of me

Does anyone have links to some Umineko liveblogs (or equivalent. I don't mind twitter threads)? I want to popcorn.gif with my reread.

4. Misty Pond

Misty Pond ardent defender of abused anime girls

here's one I'm following! still in-progress and slow-updating, though

• Useful x 1
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

That's the one that gave us this masterwork in the comment section:
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  6. Alexand

Alexand Rhymes with &

Assuming you're looking for first-time readers...I know a few Twitter liveblogs, but I don't know any that make it all the way through as a single, linkable thread. I think people either get tired of liveblogging and just start reading instead, or they drop Umineko for a while and then forget about their liveblog, or they lose the link to their liveblog thread...various things like that. Twitter as a platform is bad, and it's a travesty that it's the only one I'm really checking right now. (What's frustrating is that I'm pretty sure I know someone who did complete a full Umineko liveblog on Twitter...but I don't think they threaded the tweets. I think they used some sort of hashtag instead...but I forgot the hashtag. T___T) But here are the ones I have:
    Also, when it comes to liveblogs from non-first-timers (i.e. full-spoiler liveblogs), Goats Reading Seacats is a fandom classic. If you haven't tried reading along with it before, it's a fun experience. Fun in kind of a very depressing way, though. Because it's Umineko.

7. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Spacetwinks tweeted today that they hope to resume their livetweeting when their new computer is finished this week :0

• Winner x 1
  8. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Aside from the ones already mentioned, there's canmom's liveread, which is so-far incomplete (up to EP3) but sometimes hilariously accidentally-almost-psychic.

The SomethingAwful LP threads (original thread - Chiru thread) are also a lot of fun to read through, if you enjoy watching a whole crowd of unspoiled readers flail at the mysteries and/or each other's theories with all their might. Not to mention the quadrillion-to-one miracle of
    one of them solving the epitaph.

• Useful x 1
  9. Lazarae

Lazarae You won't be the death of me

I read through the SA LP threads along with my first playthrough! (Long live chimpatrice)

10. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

[​IMG]
    So the manga seems worth visiting.

• Like x 1
  11. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

Oh wow the SA thread is the first time I've made it out of Chapter 4 on my own legs. I've spoiled myself on the whole thing but apparently the plot twists are just so extreme that my poor Human brain can't keep up with them the majority of the time.

I was drawn in by someone having actually solved the epitaph and lo and behold, it's exactly the kind of thing I couldn't have figured out because I hate having to solve mysteries with extracurricular research >_>); But I'm interested to see how the game provides the solution during the Answer arcs. I'm a little dubious on the insistence that magic has to either be a binary real/not-real when Ange herself says that the "truth" of magic is dependent on the person experiencing it. Especially if you tie the experience of magic to active and passive coping, it's not like people who freeze and withdraw as a trauma response never lash out, and the other way around. Ultimately taking yourself out of an abusive situation would be counted as white magic, in the universe's own rules.

I'm broadly aboard the "Ryukishi07 writes good, paces bad" train, especially b/c VNs are more temporally locked than reading a novel would be, and require way more brain commitment than raw text. That being said, having voice acting for the VN really elevate it to that experience of watcing a play helped me approach some of the characters -- nuance that was left out of the stage direction but was clearly deliberately injected into the vocal performance kept me broadly on top of certain characters I found extremely hard to follow just in the text. So that's Clue 1 that I should really play the VN myself, as long as I can find a cleared save file that allows me to skip around from word go.

Something I wish the SA thread would have done more is show their work, I feel like Lambda's letter is kind of forgotten as a clue to the Shkannon/Beatrice/Kinzo connection.

Onto Chiru ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice