Whimsy writes a game: NOW PLAYABLE

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by winterykite, Jan 12, 2016.

1. blue

blue hightown funk you up

I'm stuck argh (..probably not a bug issue, but rather a Blue Is Dumb issue). I talked to the Changeling for the first time and now I can't figure out where to go. Help?

Edit: Also I can't save; the text is all grayed out.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

save via the lantern, i gotta include the rabbit saying that at some point.

you can switch between the real world and the night forest now that you can see the night forest overlay, changeling scattered several leaf thingies around and asked you to pick them up, and talk to everyone (gobano, aurora, loreley, reed, alplings, and shrublings).
    have fun exploring the areas!

3. blue

... Huh, the changeling didn't tell me to pick up the leaves! It just said "what kind of bird are you, not taking the bait" and vanished, and I can't find any leaves or other people.

4. winterykite

aah, you're earlier than that, whoops.

at that point you're still in the prologue, take a fairy ring, they're now usable, switch over into the night forest, and follow them.
    some areas can only be reached by switching between the worlds.

5. blue

Didn't the changeling appear on the left edge of the map? I've tried the whole left edge and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to get through. (Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, lol.)

6. blue

I started over so I could see where the changeling went, and I still can't get through there, regardless of whether I'm in the real world or not. Screenshots incoming.

EDIT: OH I have to press enter?? Ok

7. blue

is0053.gif
    Polish: this should say there ARE way too many, no?

8. blue

I talked to Loreley a bunch of times and got a dialog where she referenced Reed and the bunny was surprised she was related to him, but I haven't met Reed yet. I doubt that's easy to fix, but it's kind of weird.

Edit: Is there a way to put an apostrophe in "Loreleys shore" here, or is it a limited charset thing?
    is0054.gif

Edit: I'm too slow to get a screenshot of it, but when I try to catch the rootglass in my net it says "Youattempt to catch the Rootglass in your net" with no space after "you"

Edit: And it still says "You has fallen" and "You was defeated" as someone pointed out earlier.

Edit: I fought the rootglass, lost, became a changeling(?), found myself fighting it again, lost, picked "let's go" instead and got the other text, found myself fighting again, became a changeling again, walked away to the left, saw a white spider guy(?) who yelled YOU at me, and then got this screen.

is0056.gif

9. winterykite

Blrgh, will fix the space issue. The thing with the grammar is difficult to fix because the game is treating the protagonist's name as third person singular and I can't adjust that, the "you" is me bullshitting around the protagonist's name.

I am mildly puzzled you get a crash after the Alp has yelled at you, that should trigger a different event -- looks like I'll do a bugfixing run myself tomorrow.
    And it looks like I'll need to adjust the stats on the monsters, the rootglass should not be able to kill you that easily.

10. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

rephrase? I think the phrases in question were something like "you was the winner". change them to "x won": so-and-so won works just as well as you won.

11. blue

Ok, so, what happened was that the rootglass hit me a bunch of times while I was trying to catch it. But after I died, I got a prompt with the bunny where it asked why we were still here and I could pick "Let's go" or "To finish this." If I picked either, I got a corresponding (?) bad-end text, and then was back next to the rootglass again - still with 1 hp, which is why it killed me the other times.

• Like x 1
  12. winterykite

ok what you should only get that text in chapter 5, i am confuse. oo00

that's a genius idea, i just have to dig into the internal battle script for that, but that should be the smallest problem.

13. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

glad to help : D

14. blue

I wish I'd taken better records so I could tell you how to reproduce it! Sorry. When/if I do more bug testing, I'll be more observant.

• Like x 1
  15. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

upload_2016-4-2_13-26-53.png

should say Gobano, I assume

upload_2016-4-2_13-29-45.png

polish stuff: might be nice to be able to go around the back of the dryad's tree. also, great place to hide stuff

upload_2016-4-2_13-34-13.png

got this crash when trying to fight the rootglass on the far left of the snowy abyss gateway screen

upload_2016-4-2_13-35-21.png

escaping from fights seems to be disabled

rootglass battles still trigger an immediate second rootglass battle

upload_2016-4-2_13-36-48.png

which I got this crash by losing

16. Wiwaxia

waaaaaait a sec

Those rootglasses are located where the changeling scattered the leaf skeletons

• Like x 1
  17. Wiwaxia

upload_2016-4-2_13-43-13.png

got this crash immediately after the Alp screamed "YOU" at me

18. Wiwaxia

upload_2016-4-2_13-47-50.png

Reed's scroll up/scroll down thing is borked in this chapter, the screen just keeps scrolling up every time you talk to them until you walk away.

upload_2016-4-2_13-50-21.png

going to the real world and back leads to this graphics glitch with the reedbird

upload_2016-4-2_13-53-3.png

wow, gobano wasn't kidding when she said not to go here again
    (the controls freeze)

19. Wiwaxia

Also, not bugfixing and I don't know if this is something you want to or a willing to fiddle with at this point, but
    it's not bad (and the prologue/tracks theme is pretty great and sets the mood really well), but the loops are short enough (well, except for the prologue/tracks loop) that they really start to grate before you're halfway done with a chapter. Also, the second/blue chapter's got a bit of a choppy loop and even more so in the battle version of the theme - it stops and starts rather than looping smoothly.

20. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

that part is probably partially my fault because of moving houses i wasn't able to set up anything with real instruments or do much beyond dumping a bunch of motifs in kite's lap.
    I mean at SOME POINT I'll revisit most of the themes and compose something for real if kite wants me to. And attempt to make it actually good instead of 'the gimmick is pentatonic scale because i can't be assed figuring out how to get us both on the same technical level for harmonics'
    *SHRUGS*

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice