Whimsy writes a game: NOW PLAYABLE

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by winterykite, Jan 12, 2016.

1. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

@Wiwaxia thank you for still betaing, I'm currently working on a huge update I'm testing myself that should get you to the endings, and bugs keep cropping up, it should've been done an hour ago buuut nope.

But you still caught some stuff I hadn't - Aurora refering to Gobano as Aurora, and the battle screen crash, for example.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    • Like x 2
  2. blue

blue hightown funk you up

It looks like Wiwaxia got the same crash I did - same circumstances, at least, although I assume they were further along in the game.

3. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

For the record, here's what happens if you are killed in a battle

upload_2016-4-4_12-46-32.png
    upload_2016-4-4_12-46-43.png

upload_2016-4-4_12-47-3.png

if you pick the first option

upload_2016-4-4_12-47-21.png

and then you wind up here with 1 hp and different music

if you pick the other option:
    upload_2016-4-4_12-51-0.png
    upload_2016-4-4_12-51-12.png
    upload_2016-4-4_12-51-21.png
    upload_2016-4-4_12-51-31.png

and then you wind up there with the same different music and 1 hp

except for sometimes when you get this instead
    upload_2016-4-4_12-49-5.png

Is this intended behavior?

4. winterykite

that stuff is fixed in the version i'm working on rn, my current problems are in chapter 5 (event follow doesn't work correctly) and epilogue (event conditions doesn't work correctly)

• Like x 1
  5. winterykite

Not-really-an-update, more like a status report:

1) I needed a break, sorry. I was so done after over 3 months of continuous work on this. The good news is, I can now look at the game and stuff again without screaming.
    2) Bless the steamcloud, turns out my own backup wasn't as up-to-date as I thought it was. (returned my tablet because micro sd reader broke)
    3) I don't have the current version history file, which means version number will be an estimate, and you won't know exactly what all i changed. neither will i.
    4) I tested event follow on a different file, and it appears the problems it has in adfr are due to clashing scripts. WHICH MEANS i'll have to figure out which script is causing the problems, and then figure out how to fix this. which means release of new version will be delayed. again, I'm sorry.
    5) custom event triggers is also bugging around, but that might be due to faulty script calls from my end. if it isn't, same case as 4)
    6) do you really need all those scripts? yes, sadly. rpg maker vx ace comes with a lot of possibilities, but a lot of things just aren't implemented outright.

that being said, i have no idea why the event follow is working in chapter 4, but not in chapter 5. ::/

6. winterykite

@IvyLB
    @blue
    @Erica
    @Wiwaxia

Version 1.1 is now live.
    You should now be able to get to the end.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    1. The Labyrinth in Chapter 4 is laggy as shit, at least on my tablet. This is probably due to the light radius parallel event which is constantly running. Could probably fix this via yet another external script
    2. Tileset replacements in Chapter 4 are a bit stuttery. Can't really fix this, it's an engine issue, unless I create a Chapter 4 version of every map, which... no.
    3. Rabbit spawn in Chapter 5 is a bit laggy, for the same reason
    4. The Rabbit just randomly runs off instead of following you. I have no idea why this is happening. It's working in the Sandbox. Please imagine it's following you until I get this fixed somehow ::/
    5. Luring a Reedbird crashes your game because of a faulty script call. This is fixed in 1.1.x which is not live yet
    6. The axe randomly respawns in the milkweed field after Chapter 3, see 5.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  7. Wiwaxia

Grammar fix
    upload_2016-4-19_13-27-5.png
    upload_2016-4-19_13-27-23.png

the correction should be "Frequently."

upload_2016-4-19_13-28-54.png

there's this weird shifting black moire pattern on the Night Forest side where the tracks would be, now
    Is that intentional wrt the cinderbugs?

Running away from fights works now.

Cinderbugs never seem to do any damage. Again, unsure if that's intentional or not.

upload_2016-4-19_13-35-10.png
    Some more grammar bugs. As it were.

After you talk to the Changeling, x no longer brings up the menu button, making it impossible to save and making the labyrinth inescapable

upload_2016-4-19_13-40-36.png

changeling now walks directly over you here

the invisibility/intangibility bugs after you return from the snow world appear to be fixed now, though

The first time you cross over to the real world side of Reed's meander, a bunch of people in various colors come walking out of the reeds, which they didn't in previous versions. Is that supposed to happen then, or later?

upload_2016-4-19_13-52-7.png
    It appears that you still can't run from Rootglass or Beadfly battles, though.
    Also, they're both back to doing no damage ever.

The duplicate battle thing is fixed, though.

8. Wiwaxia

The broken menu seems to make the second chapter impossible, too, or at least the "make charms" path.

9. blue

blue hightown funk you up

I thiiiink it's supposed to be frequency for technobabble reasons? Like, "position and frequency" together denote a save. But I'm not sure.

• Like x 1
  10. winterykite

frequency was right, but it might be a mistranslation from my side. like, frequency of the light.

i have heard of the menu bug, and i'll look into what causes it because i have absolutely no idea what might have caused it, since in my playthrough it worked fine. hm.
    the cinderbugs should not be attacking you in chapter 1. those should only trigger in chapter 2. blrgh. combat system, y u stupid.
    will look into rebalancing the battles again.

the coloured people should only trigger in chapter 5, hm. i am confuse.

11. Wiwaxia

aaaahh, gotcha. Not a mistranslation, but wavelength might be more unambiguous?
    But then I dunno if ambiguity is really an issue if i was the only one confused.

• Like x 2
  12. winterykite

Version 1.1.8 is now live!

Fixed the battles triggering too early, they were caused by the same mistake as the menu not working.
    The colourful people even now triggers in Chapter 5 where it should trigger (accidentally de-checked a condition)
    And you can now run from the beadflies.

(and some minor stuff you can check out in the version history file)

• Like x 2
  13. winterykite

... assuming the script file also includes the files that make the game run but are filed under scripts so you can edit them easily, i just replaced all of those.
    the rabbit follower event still doesnt work.
    the same damn thing with the same damn setup still works without nary a hitch on the other file.
    im officially stumped.

i see it coming that i need to transfer the data to a new project and hope it helps, but that will take time. blrgh. and id still not know what caused it.
    >>_<<

• Like x 1
  14. winterykite

• Like x 2
  15. winterykite

Is anyone still interested? Because I got off my ass and got you a patch!

NEW THINGS IN THIS VERSION (1.1.24):
    • Corrected some faulty grammar that crops up in battle sequences
    • Fixed an issue that causes the game to crash when erasing Save Data
    • Corrected where the Fairy Ring to the top left of the Axe Scar spits you out
    • Accessing the crafting menu from the grimoire now shows the correct crafting menu
    • Saving and Crafting options removed from menu
    • Reed now gives you a hint that talking to them recovers your health and mana
    • Added a use for Reedbird Feathers
    • The Mask Merchant's inventory has been corrected, and they, depending on certain circumstances, now carry slightly different items.
    • Added a notes section in the grimoire that serves as refresher for general mechanics. A more elaborate "Help I forgot what the fuck I'm supposed to do" is currently in the works.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • The labyrinth event during Chapter 4 is laggy as shit for some reason. Might be my tablet, got the same issue for other RPG Maker games.
    • The rabbit doesn't follow you properly in Chapter 5. I have *no* idea what's causing this. Please imagine it follows you properly.
    • The Serpent jumps when she follows you. No idea what's causing this, but at least she's following you properly, unlike the damn rabbit.
    • The light radius overlay in Chapter 4 is buggy as fuck and I don't know why.
    • Can't remove Formation from the menu for some reason, so it's just greyed out.
    • There's an event left to the Axe Scar that should not be there and does not show up in the editor.
    • Reading your save apparently resets the self switch that should prevent Beadflies from respawning. If reading a save resets all self switches, I'm in trouble, because then I can just chuck out the whole damn thing and rewrite it from the ground up with a million more global switches. But for now, the Beadflies are, apparently, way more persistent than they're supposed to be.
    • The "Current events" choice in the grimoire does nothing. That's because there's nothing there at the moment, I'm still trying to figure out the decision tree so the right "What the fuck am I supposed to do" pops up.
    • At least one of the poems randomly despawned when changing chapters. This should not happen.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  16. winterykite

17. winterykite

1.1.24 didn't save to the steamcloud for some reason so I'm gonna have to recreate it or pray i can use the data in my dropbox.

But I'm working on the questlog. A bit slow because the switch jungle I made in chapter 3 is absolute fucking horseshit. At least I immediately found how to check a different event's self switch status....

And my soundcloud has more tracks now! I might collectively move them to bandcamp at some point though once I've finished the album...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice