who else is 900% done with tumblr?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by jacktrash, Jul 19, 2016.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

the noisy autoplay ads were the last straw, and i'm just so done.

i know there are elaborate workarounds. there always are. i've been using xkit and adblock for years. the fact that tumblr is at war with xkit instead of adopting its ideas, the fact that they periodically change the address of the flashy, meltdown-inducing login screen so people with sensory issues can't block it, the fact that their response to having to accept they overpaid for the site was to do something any rational human being would know was going to alienate their userbase...

add to that, yahoo's history of buying fandom spaces, running them into the ground, then deleting them...

i'm gonna be using sitesucker to back up my blog. i suggest y'all do the same.

EDIT: where everyone's at!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    • Like x 7
  2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

How does sitesucker work?

3. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

I've been done with tumblr for a while, I think, I just haven't gotten around to being DONE with tumblr.

• Like x 1
  4. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

I'm pretty done. I'm not ready to leave my friends, but, my baseline is a lot closer to sensory overload since I'm in school full time again. Intrusive sounds are Just Not On.

So, uh, hey Jesse, are you going to put your HP fic reccs in the fantown thread? You are doing a noble service going through adult Harry/Draco.

• Like x 3
  5. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Haven't abandoned my blog entirely but I very rarely visit my dash anymore, just go through individual blogs. Have obtained a Twitter today because I guess better the devil you know than the devil you don't, because the devil you don't has a history of fucking things up irreparably.

6. jacktrash

ooh, i should do that; prod at me if i don't get to it in the next few days.

• Like x 4
  7. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

I got an instagram recently that I plan to use for art and stuff... but really the most social i am is on this site... Which is kind of sad, actually, 'cause i'm not hella active here either.

8. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I just started a new rp blog, too, and I was so excited about the little bit of interaction I've been getting with it.

Welp. *goes to figure out how sitesucker works for main blog* We'll see how long I can keep up with it, or if any of the Collective are of similar mind to abandon for a new location.

Edit: Orrrrr not! Apparently sitesucker is a Mac-only app? Anyone know any equivalent alternatives?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    • Like x 2
  9. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I barely ever use tumblr
    like, if I get tagged in a post I answer it? but mostly I just check on other people's tumblr directly

10. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

It's all part of their master plan to make Tumblr the new PDF.

• Like x 7
  11. jacktrash

i'm honestly not sure. @Vast Derp suggested it. bro: explainy?

12. Aniseed

Aniseed Well-Known Member

i dont really have anything to back up but i really am just struggling to think of a place that would work similarly for me. i kind of use tumblr 'as intended' for reblogging things i like and idk if there is really a good option where i can reblog things that i like from creators.

• Like x 4
  13. Hatchback

Hatchback ... he is just fine again today

I keep a few blogs about specific topics and post my art there, but with their awful website and even more awful tag system, it's barely worth bothering - In larger tags my posts don't show up until it's been pushed down too far to be visible, if it shows up at all. Like, I'm not here to scream into the void. So I have a DeviantArt like it's 2003, and use Tumblr as a dump bin for posts that are more informational or personal and not something I care if people see or see right away. I just.. really miss LiveJournal. I learned how to fandom there, and Tumblr is a very different culture and dynamic, and I've never really gotten used to it.

14. paladinkit

Exactly - like, my "RP" blog I mentioned isn't doing as much back-and-forth (bc Tumblr does Not Really Work for that well) as it is answering asks in-character and collecting things the character likes, often with her commentary. Forum RP is also a thing I'd *do* with her, but it doesn't serve the same purpose.

• Like x 1
  15. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

HTTrack for windows https://www.httrack.com/page/2/

• Like x 4
  16. paladinkit

17. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i'm pretty much done with tumblr already, just not done-done. like, i just use for the fop tags, looking a few specific people's blog, and browsing my dash for random awesome stuff lately. i haven't posted original content on it since maybe... last year.

18. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I'm in the process of importing my inspiration blog to WordPress (because they have a handy convenient way of doing that).

Even better, check out the email I got when I signed up:

[​IMG]

Fandom oldtimers recognize the way the wind is turning. Best we be looking for alternatives.

• Like x 16
  19. paladinkit

Oooh, I forgot I used to use WordPress for religious stuff back in the day, but dropped it bc I didn't really have any social interaction or friends there. Maybe if I know people going that way, though?

• Like x 3
  20. jacktrash

huh! does it import automatically? i sure wouldn't mind just dumping my tumblr to wordpress.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice