who else is 900% done with tumblr?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by jacktrash, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

I have my fandom blog mirrored to Wordpress on my own website; I'm not sure what to do with my personal, and there are some other fandom blogs that I used to maintain with other people that I'm not sure I have permission to mirror. (I guess maybe I could download them privately and put them up if the original goes down?)

I mean, the other alternative is having to rely on the Internet Archive, and as great as that place is I always feel like relying on it is freeloading. (WebCite had the freeloading issue and had to stop accepting new submissions; I don't like that.)

Anyway, between the MSPA forums being dead, Soundcloud suddenly announcing that it might be mostly bankrupt, and Tumblr becoming a Verizon subsidiary, I've had to step up my backups game.

Hmm... maybe I could make that into a challenge on Habitica?

• Like x 1
  2. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

I just keep httrack running to keep my archive of my tumblr up to date, don't post new articles there (wordpress will crosspost there for me), and figure with the way internet sites die (long, lingering deaths full of sudden spurts of life that fade again as the edges grow a mold that slowly eats the carcass that won't die until every last cell has been consumed) it's going to be a while.

• Like x 5
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

so tumblr is the boar god in princess mononoke

• Like x 11
  4. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

So it's been a few days. Folks who are doing the full comparison, what's your verdict?

(Other than "Imzy is a ghost town," that is.)

5. Lissa Lysik'an

Soup.io is okay, once you get the hang of it. Needs more people.
    Imzy works but the bright white and not being customizable are bleah.
    Wordpress is wordpress - doesn't have the same kind of feel as Soup/Imzy/Tumblr.

• Like x 2
  6. Verzi

Verzi Member

I seem to be having some issues with wordpress... I remember using it for school use in early 2015, but now, it seems like I can't make an account! Clicking Register, or basically any other link, seems to take me to the login page...

I see mention of some app thing to download, so i'm wondering if the app is required for wordpress now. Any idea?

7. Lissa Lysik'an

On desktop it works just like every other site I use. If I log out it takes me to login page. There is a "create" button there that takes me to new site creation (I haven't used it since the first time a couple of weeks ago, and it worked right). The only time I had trouble was after installing script blocker - clicking anything always returned to login page until I whitelisted wordpress.

8. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

It probably has your email already registered to an account, and thus anything would have to be done via login. Maybe the lost password field would help?

9. Verzi

Verzi Member

I'm on my laptop, and I tried turning off adblock to see if that did anything, but im still redirected to the login page. There doesn't seem to be a create page either. :o

@Raire, that is possible, but i find it strange that anything having to do with wordpress brings me to the login page. I was hoping to create a new account with the e-mail address I actually use, since the one account I used for school is on an e-mail i dont have access too unless I'm actually in school (which I am not, so password recovery isn't an option)

upload_2016-7-28_22-29-48.png

Above is a screenshot of what i keep getting redirected to. I feel like I'm missing something here... like I'm using the wrong wordpress or something.

10. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Hmm... maybe chrome is not playing nicely with wordpress? I know chrome is getting to be a pain with some browser stuff and java and the like.

11. Lissa Lysik'an

I just experimented a bit and yeah - wordpress remembers you and tries to force you to use the original site you used on that computer. On different puters I get the create page, but I cannot even log out of wordpress on this puter - no option to do so.

12. Lissa Lysik'an

Aha - Raire is right - it is Chrome doing that. I tried opening wordpress in IE (eeeww, I feel dirty) and it brought me to the creation page

• Like x 1
  13. Verzi

Verzi Member

UGH, dammit chrome! First I cant play unity games, and now this. >:V

I reeeeally dont want to use another browser... but i may have to if only to back up my blog onto wordpress. I may check out soup, and hopefully this htttracker business will be done soon. It's on hour 7 of my smaller main blog and still not finished, and I dread to see how long it'd take to pull my larger, more active nsfw blog! That is, assuming I didn't fuck up somewhere and didn't actually start trying to download the entire internet. o___o;

Anyhoo, thanks guys!

14. Lissa Lysik'an

It may be using a cookie to know about your existing page - could look through cookies (or just delete them all) and try

15. Verzi

Verzi Member

Aha! I deleted the wordpress cookies, and i am now at the proper page. Sweeeet, and thanks again!

• Like x 1
  16. Lissa Lysik'an

Okay - MORE experiments.
    I logged out (by going to the help screen, which has a sign out button) and closed that window.
    I opened a new Wordpress window and got the "Create!" page. Clicked the login button to get to the screen @Verzi is seeing and did NOT fill in the fields so it had no idea it was me.
    Clicked register - it went to the correct step in creating a page.
    Turned script blocker on - tried it again and got the same results @Verzi is getting.
    Something is blocking the "register" script on @Verzi's machine.
    Javascript must be enabled to use wordpress.

17. Lissa Lysik'an

YAY

• Like x 1
  18. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

so it's looking like soup is the most viable destination? i'm not too concerned with it being emptyish, if we start going there the fandom will follow. everyone's sick of tumblr.

19. TheRainMonster

TheRainMonster Active Member

*grabs spoon*

• Like x 2
  20. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

soup looks like the best thing to me, imzy seems kinda like they're trying to reinvent forums, at least, thats what the communities seem like to me.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice