Why do so many people have shutter shades in their profile pictures?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by evilas, Jul 11, 2016.

1. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

You know which ones I'm talking about.
    @mizushimo @unknownanonymous @Raire @Aviari @amberbydreams @WinkWonk @chaoticArbiter the list goes on and on and on...

I just got a notification and saw the tiny icon and my brain immediately registered it as "oh, the green-striped-shades person liked one of my posts" and it was a DIFFERENT green-striped-shades person and I was really confused for a bit.

I just noticed how many people have it and it's really weird.

• Like x 2
  2. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Short story: folks at the Ray watching thread threw a rave and we all got into the spirit.

Longer story: at some point in the complaints department thread, I think in the second thread, someone mentioned a party, I believe there was electronica involved, and one user, I think it was @applechimes, photoshopped shutter shades onto their icon. Everyone wanted one too, so most of the resulting icons are from their generosity.

• Like x 3
  3. evilas

Ah, so there's an actual story behind it. I thought it was just a meme I was missing out on.

• Like x 1
  4. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I think that technically it is still a meme :P

5. evilas

...And then there's Mizu with her ACTUAL shutter shades cosplay.

• Like x 2
  6. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

my icon is a combo of two complaints department memes, and i will just let the memes compile onto my icon until i die (i never managed to get a wedding edit in, but oh well)

• Like x 7
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I am so happy someone asked this question, I was very curious but didn't want to be the one to ask! Thank you, braver person than me, for asking.

• Like x 2
  8. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I think it's been mentioned that if you want shades or a bow or somesuch, you can request them

...but i can't say for sure, especially since I'm not brilliantly talented and will never be able to shop anything into a picture

9. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i was also curious about the shades

sometimes i think about trying to catch up on the cdcf but then.... it is so long.

10. kmoss

kmoss whoops

it is Very Very long

sometimes we see people catching up on it and it's kind of the same feeling you get when you watch someone climbing up a mountain

• Like x 5
  11. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

and it is constantly increasing in length. i think trying to catch up would feel much like sisyphus

• Like x 3
  12. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

@applechime is the resident thrower of shades, I'm happy to photoshop bows on people!

• Like x 2
  13. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i swapped my shutter shades for a flower hat and tux during the mass wedding. which was another impromptu party from CDCF. people just suddenly decided to get internet married, and rigs presided because his icon is a priest, and there was a spinoff thread where people were posting rainbow cakes, idek man, we just spontaneously happen these things.

i theorize it's the stress of watching internet bullies descend to hell by inches. every so often you just have to slap a bow tie on your icon and go wild.

• Like x 7
  14. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

It's a nice contrast. To the thread's intended function, and to the people we're monitoring in there. I have a hard time seeing team rocket have a shutter shades rave or mass wedding for the hell of it. But we're a goofy bunch, and many of us make a point to let off steam in ways that don't hurt people.

Thus: shenanigans.

• Like x 2
  15. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Heh, you think there're a lot of shades now. Back at the time twice as many people had them. :P

• Like x 2
  16. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I happen to like how mine alter the compositional balance of my icon. :::PPP

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice