Windows 10 update?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by vuatson, Apr 16, 2017.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I just got a desktop popup telling me that Windows is about to get a major update - the "Creator's Update," according to google. I haven't been able to find any news about the update breaking shit, but that doesn't mean it won't, so I'm erring on the side of caution. Has anyone else heard anything about it? Some of the new features look actually pretty decent, so I'm hoping it's kosher.

2. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

I've already got it and have had no problems. Friend also has it and they've toyed with the wonky lil 3d model thing and it's entertaining. No problems for either of us.

• Informative x 3
  3. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Note that there's a "feature" that prevents you from installing anything not from the Windows store. This should be opt-in for now.

• Informative x 3
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

...why would anyone opt in to that? Why the fuck would they even make that feature? wtf, Windows.

• Agree x 3
  5. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

for childrens tablets maybe? to make sure they don't install malware or something. And, I'm thinking like 10 year olds or younger.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. palindromordnilap

Alternatively, for old people, for the exact same reason.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  7. palindromordnilap

But essentially, the actual marketing reason is security. The end goal is turning all non-professional Windows editions into walled gardens like iOS.

• Agree x 1
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

People buy Windows because it's not like that, though. Seems like they're ignoring their strengths in favor of trying to follow the leader. Nobody's gonna do that as well as apple did it.

• Agree x 5
  9. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Bought a brand new copy of Windows 7 Pro last week. Microcenter still carries it.

• Like x 2
  10. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

How does one opt out?

11. kmoss

kmoss whoops

the biggest thing I've noticed while reading is just that apparently they replaced control panel with settings, which might be weird for me because I like the sound of control panel more

and also that they're getting closer to replacing command with something something shell, but won't, because some people still use it, the phrasing of which gave me a chuckle.

at 75% so I can give a run through of initial reaction by someone who doesn't do tech really

• Informative x 1
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Do you mean they completely replace control panel? Because in the current version of windows 10 settings exists and control panel is hard to find, but you can find it by searching in the start menu. Do they do away with it entirely? That might be a deal breaker if so, I hate settings.

13. kmoss

kmoss whoops

oh yay! i have found that i can still find it by searching

possibly what the thing meant is that settings is a shortcut to the same place now

• Like x 1
  14. kmoss

kmoss whoops

i would have done more liveblogging but housemate found a demon from hell spider in the bathroom and i'm kind of checked out rn

• Witnessed x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I just got the popup telling me it's actually ready to install. Probably gonna do it now as a way to force me to do homework while my computer's inaccessible -_-

16. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Windows 10 is a demon from hell.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Well, the update seems to have changed almost nothing. The new paint program is neat, though.

Re:demonicness of windows 10, I remember being really annoyed with it when it first came out, but now I'm used to it :P That fullscreen start menu thing it used to have was terrible, though.

• Agree x 1
  18. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

that was eight only I think. I still have 8 on this computer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice