Windows 10?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by liminal, Oct 12, 2015.

1. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

Has anyone actually tried it yet? My laptop (a couple years old, runs windows 7) keeps giving me pop ups about my "free upgrade". I am pretty happy with windows 7, and reviews of windows 10 tend to be pretty polarized so I don't really know what to think.

I've been running off the assumption that older computers should run older systems since newer shinier ones might take up more memory and processing power, but I don't know if that intuition is actually true, was ever true, or is severely outdated.

2. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I upgraded from the factory Windows 8 to Windows 10 on my computer with no issues. But I'm not sure it really improved much. Made it less split-brained about OS modes but I'd already hacked those away on 8. From 7, I really don't know if it's worth it.

3. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

The 8-->10 jump was worth it (8 was Not Good), but if you're happy with 7 and don't need to upgrade to use a particular program I don't think I'd bother, at least not yet. As for whether your computer will run it okay, just check your hardware specs against the recommended ones:

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
    • Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
    • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
    • Display: 800x600

4. ingloriousHeist

ingloriousHeist Shen an Calhar

Thirding the "From Windows 8/8.1 = yes; from Windows 7 = eh?"

It might be useful if you have a Windows phone or tablet, but even then *shrug*. The only thing to be cognizant of is that updates and support for Windows 7 is going to be tapering off in the next few years, so if you're not planning on updating your machine anytime soon it might be worth upgrading to Windows 10 at some point.

5. Aniseed

Aniseed Well-Known Member

It depends on if you have anything that might not be compatible with Windows 10. I actually just got a new PC and opted to get Windows 8.1 on it instead of 10 just because a few of the games I play aren't really compatible with 10 yet. The free upgrade lasts for a year so you can always sit on it for a bit before jumping ship, I'll probably upgrade sometime this spring just so I don't miss out on the freebie and hopefully everything will be compatible by then.

6. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

i upgraded 8 -> 10 and for some reason i keep getting a glitch where my start button doesn't work. it works just fine after restarting, though, and that's the only problem i've had yet.

7. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

My biggest "complaint" about Windows 10 is that if you are not using "Professional" or "Enterprise" editions you do not have the option to refuse updates. They are using home users as beta testers. If you are using "Professional" edition you don't get the forced updates until they've been in the wild for a few months, but you still can't refuse them when they are pushed out to you. Only "Enterprise" users get the option to choose what updates they want to accept.
    Well, and the upgrade from 7 to 10 is not an upgrade, it's a new install so I would have to install all my apps again, which would be a serious pain.
    I'll probably upgrade my 8.1 tablet/notebook hybrid to 10 when the Enterprise version is available, but my desktops are staying 7.

• Like x 1
  8. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I've had a similar problem and I'm not totally sure how I fixed it. I think I restarted it in systems somehow.

at any rate, these are some other methods to try and fix:
    http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/com...g-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

9. Greywing

Greywing Resident dead bird

As others have said, 8 -> 10 was worth it, 7 -> 10 might not be. At this point a lot of drivers/etc that initially were incompatible have been updated (nvidia graphics drivers, for instance, initially stopped working with 10, making a lot of video games unplayable, but is now fixed).

10. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I am so glad you said that, because I've been considering updating to 10, but if I can't refuse updates that would be a disaster.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice