Worldbuilding!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Exohedron, Sep 11, 2015.

1. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

so this looks pretty neat o:

anyone more well versed in legalese want to take a look over the TOS first tho? I'd hate to put my beloved setting stuff there and then find that it's a jackass place like DeviantArt and whatnot. I did see a bit that says they don't claim ownership of your junk but still. am nervous ;w;

2. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

i had a bizarre dream based vaguely off of this?? there was a builderpriest kid and they lived on a weird blimp thing and also the artstyle was inexplicably the world of warcraft artstyle which makes no sense i haven't played that game in over 5 years
    anyway
    the kid came down to the land and got wings and built a really simple thing and then flew back up and was learning how to build airships or something and then the dream segued to some weird fusion of my house and a bunch of other houses, like it Made Sense geometrically but this was Not My House except in the dream it was, and we had 3 chicken coops and 2 of them were right by the house, and i was collecting eggs and there were so many eggs and some of them were like those mini universe glass things but eggs and there kept being more chickens and dad was cooking chicken and there was some chicken and ice cream culinary abomination and it had nothing to do with the builderpreists

most of the dream was builderpreists though, the Nonsense Chickens were like a 15 minute nonsense thing taped to the end of like 45 minutes of builderpriest shenanigans

• Winner x 3
  3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Nonsense Chickens deserve an award though I think I have never read about anything that fit so little in a setting and yet seemed so right anyways

• Like x 1
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

A thought. My take on goblins in my origfic is that they're semi-reptilian. I also considered having a race which is aromantic by default, and it would make sense for non-mammals to be them; they have to put an awful lot less effort into raising kids, so they don't have to have a partner to help them do so. Unfortunately, that's also a rather icky stereotype of aro people being cold-hearted and less than human. BUT; my human protagonist is aro too, so is that okay? I feel like having them there as a way for her to sort of have a lightbulb moment of "OH, that's an option I can do!" could work.

5. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

as an aromantic who is cold-hearted i think it's fine to portray aro people like that

6. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

the builderpriest kid had to fight a zombie at one point because the builderpriest that build this cool underground marble house thing didn't add any lights and it was super dark and a zombie hid in there and then couldn't see enough to get out

also there was a chest full of like, armour, clothes, and weird magic limb things, the kid tried on all of them but only liked the wings

• Winner x 1
  7. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Hey y'all have you heard about Worldanvil? From what I've seen so far it's a free and quite extensive site where you can organize your worldbuilding and stuff. Timelines, places, people, species, cultures, maps, everything. I'm currently working on transferring both Toalsu and Attunementverse over to it and there's so much I haven't thought about.

You can also get a paid account and get the option to make the stuff private -- since I'm not worried about getting plagiarized, it's not a concern of me personally but jsyk?

((shameless plug: my profile))

8. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Yeah, the 'no private worlds' bit is pretty bad, but... it's a $3 a month, and that's cheaper than Notebook.ai
    My problem is that I tend to develop in a pretty erratic way that leaves nonsensical fragments of articles popping up everywhere. And I'm not quite sure to how link neatly.

9. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

@winterykite Haha, I actually linked it further up on this page a while ago :P I wanted to get some more eyes on it in cause they've got one of those shifty TOSs that are like 'lol anythin u post here is ours to use as we see fit'. If it's safe, I definitely might get me and my DnD world setting up in there o:

• Informative x 1
  10. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I've just started using TiddlyWiki, which is just a make-your-own private wiki, so it doesn't have all the nice, worldbuilding-specific features that some of the other services that have been brought up have. On the other hand, you store everything yourself, either on your personal computer or on a cloud drive, so there's no worry about anyone stealing your material, and it's free. Sharing it with people who have the TiddlyWiki program is then just sharing the data file, i.e. as private as you want it to be.

Making templates for worldbuilding stuff should be pretty straightforward, if not as pretty. Also if you just want to build erratic little bits rather than coherent wholes, well, it's a wiki, so you can build a sprawling, disjointed web of fragments instead of a world.

• Useful x 1
  11. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

oh dear, yeah, that is a thing people ought to know.

i kind of like the worldbuilding stuff, but it seems like i shouldnt port toalsu there.

attunementverse is a fanwork anyways so -shrug-

stealth edit because i like never read TOS: theres one paragraph wrt copyright i absolutely cant parse, but further down they say "yeah no we dont claim stuff but for the purpose of displaying stuff we need distribution rights"

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  12. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

yeah, everything on the internet needs distribution rights cause the law considers the internet making and distributing copies of everything on it

13. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

anyone want to help me Words

context: In my DnD homebrew setting, there's a large continent where reptilian races (mostly lizardfolk, kobolds and asiru (my setting's take on nagas that aren't the horrible DnD monsters/arent the 'typical' nagas with fully human top halves) are the majority population, but there's still a fair population of various hominid races.

And while it's not the norm, lbr, hominids and reptilians are gonna do it sometimes. And because fuck u it's my setting, I decided not to take the simple way out and state that such pairings can never have kids.

So here's the trick; I need separate terms for half reptilian/half hominids that have a hominid mother and ones that have reptilian mothers, because that strongly influences how the kiddos look (ones with hominid moms are probably gonna be plantigrade/look more hominid, reptilian mom ones are probably gonna be digitigrade (or have no legs if mom was an asiru) and have more prominent tails and crests and so forth.) Obviously in the Fantasy Language they'll have separate vocabulary, but I direly need some simple, non-cumbersome terms for the two distinct crossbreeds and I'm having trouble. Anyone have any ideas? :X

14. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

random worldbuilding dragon ideas, both based around 'what if dragon hoards of gold/gems/treasure were absolutely 100% required for their reproduction':

idea 1: dragons are inherently magical creatures whose eggs are extremely hard to destroy under normal conditions. however, once the embryo is developed enough, the magic of the embryo and the magic of the eggshell itself interact, and the presence of a few specific kinds of earth magic can interact with that and weaken the shells enough to allow the dragonling inside to hatch.
    these specific kinds of earth magic are the inherent magic of gold.
    dragons aren't hoarding gold out of greed, gold is required for them to reproduce.

idea 2: dragons are hatched from gems and ores and stone and metals! dragon hoards are basically dragon nesting sites. They gather up appropiate rocks etc, and take them to these nesting sites, and do some magic, and dragons that want to reproduce head to the nearest 'hoard', pick out some rocks, and do some magic.

once enough magic has been done to the rocks, they transform into little hatchling dragons. large amounts of the mineral/gem they formed from will be present in their body; dead dragons are often harvested for metals etc. ETA: a dead dragon's blood will rapidly corrode most of the dragon's body into a sort of fertile dust + magic, if it's not magically stabilized. harvesting a dragon includes skinning it, magically stabilizing the body, etc as fast as possible to minimize the amount of dragon consumed by its own blood
    you can often tell what a dragon was made from by its body! they're like someone made a statue of that material and had it come to life.

they prefer to have at least some stone in their makeup, worst case scenario they break off a chunk of rock from their cave and magically bond it to the gemstone etc they were using

ETA: in this setting, the value of gems etc comes from beauty and the idea of 'someone had to harvest a dragon's corpse/steal this from a dragon' aka the danger/difficulty of getting it

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    • Winner x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice