Writing thread!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Stophelping, Feb 23, 2015.

1. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Hmm. I made a first chapter of a fic. But it is unpostable, as it is greater than 200,000 characters. And you can't link RTFs here.

I could put it on Google Drive, but I use scrivener and... desync.

Any ideas?

2. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

@BaseDeltaZero i think scrivener has an export to word function. Or is that functionally the same as gdocs?

3. BaseDeltaZero

That is less functional than gdocs, since it can't be shared (well, okay, I think Word added that feature at some point.)
    In any event, I don't have Word/Office.

4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I highly recommend 4thewords - with it, I've gone from writing 0 to 1k+ words per day. Let's see if I can increase that even further this week.

5. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I think the point is that Google Docs has a Word doc import function, so you don't need to have Office to do this.

6. BaseDeltaZero

Right, I also have WPS writer, which, now that I think about it, can read .doc/docx files. But to get things from Scrivener to Google Docs I'd just use rtf, or copy them outright. The proprietary format doesn't seem to do *too* much if you aren't getting into pretty advanced features.

Anyways, I've got a story that I'll probably be posting on AO3. Any tips in that regard?

7. garden

garden lucid dreamer

depending on what you're copy-pasting from, AO3 might add a bunch of empty space in between paragraphs. if this happens, go into the HTML and delete any empty <p> tags (that is, with no text in between <p> and </p>), which look like this:
    HTML:
    <p></p>
    just yeet those and it should fix the spacing problem. this is probably one of the most common formatting errors i see on ao3. (it usually happens when copy-pasting from a single-spaced document, because you hit enter twice to start a new paragraph, but ao3 parses that first "enter" as its own empty paragraph.)

also, if you want to insert a horizontal line for scene break purposes, you can do that either through the rich text editor (it's the button next to the Blockquote " button) or in HTML it's just
    HTML:
    <hr />
    in general, comb through the preview a few times before posting and make sure it looks right / that it preserved your formatting.

• Agree x 1
  8. BaseDeltaZero

Okay, AO3's recommendation is to copy HTML from Scrivener, which... seems to work, though I don't actually *want* to preserve the font, necessarily.

9. BaseDeltaZero

In other news, I came up with... a theory. MGLN referenced her but I think it also works with others.

• Useful x 1
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

"He looked like he had spent most of his life getting hit in the face with bricks. He looked like eventually, the bricks had given up and started breaking on impact."

little snippet of description popped into my head and I like it but have nowhere to put it, so I'm putting it here

• Winner x 2
  12. CarnelianCoyote

CarnelianCoyote Active Member

(A little venty poemy thing)

Even the library was a minefield.

Magical, but a minefield.

I see you talk about how safe it was,

The great bookish escape.

I wish I could relate.

It was a forest in a fairytale -

Wonderful, liminal,

Full of monsters I haven't met yet.

My mother claimed to be my guide.

Stay on the path, read this not that,

You'll find all the treasure

And none of the teeth tonight.

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice