Writing What You Don't Know: The Assistants

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Aug 3, 2016.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Or magic could use expendable, valuable resources. If you have to shatter gemstones or make solid silver vanish into the ether, it's not going to be in the budget for most people. Or it could be valuable in a different way; say you have to give up a memory or break something you love every time. As long as there's a price and it's hefty enough, some people will be willing to pay it, but not everyone will, and most people will at least have to think about it.

2. LadyNighteyes

Actually, here's a lecture from one of my favorite authors (who's famous for his magic systems) which might be helpful if you don't mind listening to him ramble for an hour and mix up Greece and Rome:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    • Like x 3
  3. plant guardian

plant guardian Local Sword Gremlin

So I'm writing a Native American character from the 40s. He's probably maya, but that is flexible and I might change it. But his main character arc revolves around dealing with toxic masculinity and internalized homophobia. But I haven't experienced that, so if anybody can give me some idea of what dealing with those involves thats super helpful.

4. plant guardian

Can you tell me about that? I have a character living out of a backpack bag of holding. It can hold theoretically infinite amounts, but the more it holds the higher the "cost" to cast the spell that makes it. It holds about a linen closet's worth of shit, and Keshet likes to have some empty space in it for emergencies.

5. plant guardian

If they are out of their depth bc their kid is mentally ill or disabled they might react in ways that would be good for people like them (i.e. neurotypical) and not good for their child.

6. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Probably the biggest thing - and the biggest change for someone who grew up in a suburb before that - was planning laundry. Like - my backpack had a smaller part on top that at this point I mostly use for underwear, since they're smaller and more likely to get lost in the rest of it. But when I was primarily living out of it and didn't have a secondary bag, that was where I kept my ID and stuff: the zipper for that one was right behind my head, so I'd notice someone messing with it.

This was unlike the main part, which was accessible by zipper or the top, and which I ended up attaching a lock to in a complicated way so I wouldn't have to worry in crowds.

But yeah: laundry. Not just making sure one either has enough clean socks and underwear to last until the next time one thinks one will be near a laundromat, but also having at least a few that can be sink-cleaned and dry relatively quickly. Underwear is pretty obvious, but if you're spending a lot of time on your feet in variable weather, you want clean socks. Clean, dry socks. They make everything intensely better. Also: more socks and underwear than one thinks one will need. I ended up on an incredibly poorly planned trip one time that ended with me stranded in Port Angeles overnight, and I had enough extra underwear that it was fine because 'pack extra clean underwear' is so deeply engrained. Shirts can be sniff-tested. Underwear cannot. Also - segmenting the clean from the dirty, because if things transfer inside the backpack everything is ruined forever. Magic bag of holding might obviate this whole thing, but I usually had a smaller plastic bag inside my backpack that the dirty stuff went into.

It's also a matter of space/weight. Like - I didn't wear jeans that year, because they're super heavy and bulky. Also stuff that's rolled carefully doesn't wrinkle as badly or take up as much space as stuff that's folded but gets disarrayed by shuffling, and in general you want stuff that's more wrinkle-resistant. Because space is such a premium, cool things picked up in one's travels necessarily displace things you brought with you from the start of the journey.

Also - the thing in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy about always having a towel? Always have a towel. They're crazy useful. Not necessarily a huge towel - a smallish chamois can serve a lot of the same purposes - but definitely have a towel.

Having the weight rest on my hips was really important - it made it a lot easier to carry things a long distance. And keeping the weight down even on fun stuff - I had a hand-held solitaire game and usually a book or two that I changed out at most hostels. Except for a hardcover that I carried for months because I am sometimes dumb. Hardcovers are not recommended.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

If a character messily murders someone in their home, would burning the place down be enough to destroy evidence?

8. LadyNighteyes

It probably wouldn't destroy the corpse; even if the fire was really hot, it'd leave bones, and then it might still be possible to ID the corpse by dental records. And I know there can be signs that indicate that a fire was caused by arson, which would be evidence in itself.

• Informative x 1
  9. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

if the murderer was careful to leave no evidence of either artificially causing the house fire or of the murder on the victim's teeth or bones, then probably at least somewhat. It's at least possible to stage things much more convincingly as 'oh boy very tragic fell asleep and then the house burned down, nothing we could do' but depending on circumstances it may not be enough to destroy all evidence.

10. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

The word 'messily' is sort of your major problem there. Especially if the emergency response in the area is anywhere near competent, it would take a lot to burn the house down completely, and they typically scour the fuck out of major fire sites because any evidence of tampering or arson is pretty important. Insurance fraud and serial arsonists are both things that they want to nip in the bud.

And if 'messily' means 'dismemberment' in any way, that's another thing your murderer has to consider-- nobody falls asleep during a house fire and dies of smoke inhalation with their arm clear across the room. Either way, it'll be hard to destroy everything, and the fire might serve as primarily a distraction from the messy murder in the beginning of the investigation. If that's enough for the character in question to get away, then hey. But in my experience, large fires like that get scrutinized to hell and back.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. LadyNighteyes

I would think it would also have to burn really hot to char a corpse to the point where there was no evidence of prior trauma left on the flesh, and that might not be likely in a normal house. Though if you're talking "committed a messy murder here, then hauled the corpse out to dispose of elsewhere and burned down the house behind them to hide the bloodstains," I think that would be more likely to work?

• Agree x 1
  12. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Fire tends to mean that it's guaranteed they'll go over it with a fine-toothed comb.
    If the target is a smoker, manufacturing a fire while they're roofied files the whole thing under accident.

I wonder, drain cleaner breaks down organic stuff, does it break down blood to the point of nonviability for dna testing?

13. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Probably? It's either strongly acidic or strongly basic, but I'm not sure if just that is enough. If it's acid, then it's probably sulfuric acid, in which case you could mix it with hydrogen peroxide which would definitely ensure anything organic wouldn't last very long.
    Of course, I think just drain cleaner sounds plausible enough that just using that might work in writing. Even if it doesn't work (and I don't know if it does), anyone who knows that is just gonna assume you just didn't want to give people an actual method for disposing of a body.

14. palindromordnilap

That led me to googling some stuff, and I just found this US Army lab report (Note: that's a PDF download) on using ozone and UV light to get rid of pretty much any contamination. Not exactly practical for getting rid of blood, but I guess it could be used for other stuff*, so I'm putting this here for writing reference.

*Like, apparently, bleaching yellowed plastic from old computers. (That video also includes stuff with hydrogen peroxide and UV or heat, which seems to work in a similar way.)

• Informative x 2
  15. LadyNighteyes

Yeah, it usually is. So is toilet cleaner. That's why everyone tells you never to mix either of them with bleach.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  16. palindromordnilap

That reminds me of a thing:
    So, you know how mixing bleach and ammonia will kill you? This has led some people to just go "Well then it must be a great cleaning agent!", putting on gas masks and mixing the two to clean stuff. However, not only is it stupid, it's not as effective as regular chlorine bleach, and is actually used for water treatment because it's less aggressive and more stable. The main risk isn't that it's more toxic, it's that it's a gas, and thus much easier to get exposed to.

• Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  17. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Related to this: don't be my sister and clean up vinegar-related spills with a rag dipped in bleach. (She was cleaning up pickled jalapeƱos at work.)

• Witnessed x 3
  18. palindromordnilap

Also don't be that one guy I saw on Youtube pranking his friends by making them smell a bottle full of chlorine gas.

• Agree x 2
  19. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

And don't use bleach to clean up urine. You'll really regret that.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a mob hit, so it isn't necessary to conceal that it was murder, just who exactly did it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice