Writing What You Don't Know: The Assistants

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Aug 3, 2016.

1. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

so
    question
    relevant to a thing I'm doing
    if someone goes to court for a civil lawsuit
    the winning end for this is generally like. a monetary settlement
    is it possible/allowed in court to settle for something that isn't money

2. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Not generally in the US but idk about elsewhere.

• Informative x 1
  3. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

To settle? You can totally settle for something that's not money in the US, especially when the lawsuit is asking for non-monetary things. You could settle a divorce suit, for example, by offering the house and visitation rights to the kids. Whatever it is, it should be useful to the party getting it and concrete enough that it can't be ambiguous whether you've actually given or done it. And ideally it should be relevant to the case.

• Informative x 4
  4. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

okay cool
    thank you!

5. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

god I'm getting hampered by my lack of knowledge of commonplace stuff for even the smallest writing practice

this time it's roadside assistance!

character A got two tires slashed after work in the evening. he has one spare ofc but two means he's stuck. he calls his roadside assistance cause him an Responsible Adult. what assistance would that be in this scenario? would they just like, give him a second spare to put on until he gets replacements, or just have him towed to an auto place? can you even drive on more than one spare at a time o_o;

also is it reasonable to say there could theoretically be a wait time of an hour or two for the assistance to turn up if it's a busy night or somethin? so he could walk off and get a drink at the nearby bar with character B for reasons ;V

6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

So, this might change depending on area, but I had a tire blow literally a month ago and got very familiar with the process. :')

In my case, roadside assistance towed me to an autoshop since I didn't have a spare (they gave me the option of picking one, which I did, or being taken to the nearest one) who replaced the tire first thing in the morning. I can assume it would have been earlier, but, the tire blew at around 5pm, the autoshop closed at 8pm, and because the tow company was getting slammed with assistance requests, they weren't able to reach my car until about 8:45pm.

In fact, the tow company practically insisted I find somewhere else to wait (in part because it was Florida Summer, in part because I was on the side of the highway) since they knew it would take a while for them to get out, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to get stuck with a couple hours between finding his tires slashed and getting a tow truck. Flipside being that if he's in the city, that's going to be easier for a tow to get to than on the highway, where I was.

• Informative x 2
  7. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

The one time I've had to wait for a tow, it took them about two hours - definitely enough time and good motivation to wander off to a bar, tbh.

• Useful x 1
  8. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

The last time I had to wait for a tow (not tired related, the transmission befuckened itself) I waited about half an hour but i DO live very rural area so traffic wasn't bad and the tow was from the next town over so only ~10km driving for them to find me

• Informative x 1
  9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Had a puncture just outside of Baltimore and we waited an hour+ for a tow to an autoshop.

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice