Writing What You Don't Know: The Assistants

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Ditto. Butter is unsalted as a rule hereabouts.

2. Lib

Lib Well-Known Member

Er, that is to say, grabbing unsalted butter without noticing would be weird (and thus not adding salt to your cake mix to compensate).

• Like x 2
  3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Oh also useing the wrong measurement, so you wind up with teaspoons worth of something not tablespoons

• Like x 2
  4. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I once managed to misread a vinegar measurement as 1/4 cup instead of 1/4 teaspoon. You can decide how you think the cake tasted yourself.

• Like x 6
  5. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I forgot to mention, it actually came out looking fine otherwise.

• Like x 2
  6. blue

blue hightown funk you up

hello friends I have a question! I'm trying to plot a silly AU fanfic. the character I'm writing about is, in canon, someone who used to be an Air Force pilot (and is now doing a different thing for plot reasons, but.) in order to fit the Romcom Tropes the fic requires that she has some kind of a day job she can be a workaholic at, where she goes home to her own apartment at night (in theory, when she gets off work, but: workaholic.)

there are people in the military who have that kind of job, right?? are there people in the Air Force who do?? I know nothing about the military and don't know where to start looking.

7. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

SpecOps would be a good place to look. Surveillance needs pilots pretty much all the time, and their hours can get wonky depending on what they're doing. If it's necessary for her to be active duty, that's where I'd look.

If being retired is an option, put her in a job with a military contractor. They love pilots, and drive their people into the ground if given half the option.

• Like x 1
  8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I'm working on a fic about characters being in a therapy group thing. Does anyone here have experience with how, precisely, group therapy works? I really only know the absolute bare bones about it (which...probably made the setting a bad idea but I'm in too deep now).

9. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

@Acey - depends on the setting and the purpose? I've been in two different therapy groups, both outpatient, both through my college counseling services. One was generalized, one was specifically themed on LGBT issues. Broadly speaking, we'd gather, we'd each get a chance to check in on what had been going on in our lives, we'd all offer support and advice to each other as guided by the therapist present... I can try to come up with more details for specific questions?

10. Acey

It's a generalized outpatient one!

One question: what does everyone do when there's someone new?

11. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

I go to a group therapy for "severely" autistic people. Its main goal is to help us keep interactive with other people. Otherwise we pull away more and more. And to help those of us that are non verbal remember to work on things like talking/listening at least enough that we don't completely forget how.

• Like x 1
  12. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

We all introduce ourselves and say what brought us to group in the first place (and share majors because through the university, but in other circumstances people might not do this, or may share their occupations or whatnot instead). Then we just dive right in to whatever people want to talk about. Maybe someone might give a bit of background on what they're talking about if it seems like it'd be helpful for the new person.

Oh, yeah - a new person generally meets with the facilitators beforehand, who explain the format and expectations and answer any questions that the newcomer might have. So they don't just get dropped into the environment without preparation.

• Like x 1
  13. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

How is the talk started at all?
    When I is in therapy the therapist always starts the discussion because otherwise we all sit around looking uncomfy and thinking the coffee machine outside should actually serve coffee instead of whatever that black sludge that smells of wheat and tastes like oats is.

14. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Usually someone just breaks the silence to talk about what's bothering them, or sometimes someone asks another member how they are, especially if they had a rough session in the previous week. Occasionally the facilitators have to prompt us to get things moving, but they want us to be the initiators if possible.

• Like x 1
  15. Acey

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

16. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

Hey, does anyone here know anything about Antarctica? Specifically, the Antarctic Peninsula. Specifically-specifically, Paradise Harbor. My cyberpunk setting is a city located there that was built around 2060 (time of story being closer to 2080).

- What does the soil/rocks/geology look like? How difficult would it be to put buildings there? (I know that when you've got bedrock, you need to drill building foundations into the rock, but isn't some of the Antarctic coast loose scree? How far down would you need to go to get rock under the scree? If the answer is 'it varies', can I get a rough idea of how it varies?) Would it be easier or more difficult to just drill tunnels for human habitation?
    - I know that many of climate change's most extreme effects happen near the polar regions. What is a high-but-reasonable estimate for summer, winter, and average climate/temperatures there around 2060-2080?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  17. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Okay, I know zip about geology and architecture, but climate change is my jam. I was dumb and didn't save the models I had for a class a couple years ago, but I know they were from http://www.ipcc.ch/. There are several models - you probably want the moderate or bad scenario. The good scenario means stopping using fossil fuels basically completely, immediately. https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/supporting-material/SLW_WorkshopReport_kuala_lumpur.pdf page 7, pdf page 17 has some stuff about predictive models specifically for Antarctica, most of which boil down to: short-term predictions are way harder than long-term predictions, and trends are hard since the trend is towards increased volatility.

So, currently the maximum average temperature on the coast is 15°C. In 2060, that'll probably have inched up to 17° or 18°, but that's average (even though 17.5°C is currently the record high): there will probably be infrequent heat-wave days of up to like 25° in 2080, accompanied by massive calving. Also, idk what the elevation will be like - idk how much it'll change. No one knows how much it'll change. Higher likelihood of crazy, gorgeous, intensely volatile ice caves with underground rivers. Watch Chasing Ice if you want a science-light but very pretty documentary about ice-sheets if they're going to go inland much at all. P. sure it is still on Netflix.

Winter might actually end up colder. Hard to tell, because coastal and ocean temperatures are rising? Still, you're probably safe using current weather data for Paradise Harbor for your speculative weather for winter. At least as regards temperature. Precipitation is another fun adventure! Antarctica is a desert, and most deserts are trending drier (we ignore California for global trends for now, because it is currently flooding, drought-stricken, and on fire at the same time). But it's inland that's the true desert: coastal cities are always a little less hostile. Also, cyclone activity in the southern hemisphere is supposed to decrease over the next hundred years, but generally more intense when they do happen. The most grandiose storm you can imagine will probably be apt. Even though you don't get the same sort of predictable typhoon patterns as in the 30° on either side of the Equator, there's some pretty good models on records of Antarctic storms - or at least ones on the Strait of Magellan, which will be workable for your city.

Also, irrelevant to your questions but a cool thing: the Perth Wave Energy Project is a neat model of ways to assure freshwater and power for cities in the southern hemisphere that may actually just be Hell in a funny mask.

Um. Yes. Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify.

• Like x 2
  18. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

does anyone know anything about modern day locksmiths? i have a character who is one, but don't actually know too much about the job and what it entails and hate being totally inaccurate!

things i kinda wanna know:
    what kind of things do they actually do at the job?
    is there specific background checks they gotta go through?
    tools????
    pay?????

19. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

@Void I need to get my trunk rekeyed when I have the budget, I'll try to remember to ask.

• Like x 1
  20. iff

iff Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice