1. We've been a little overwhelmed with the rate of moderator activity lately, and @rigel drew the short straw. Congratudolences are appreciated, or you could give generously to the memorial fund for his sanity.
    Dismiss Notice

writings of mysterious happenstance.

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by OtherCat, Aug 15, 2018.

1. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

So I am definitely doing Eldritch Rhythm for NaNoWriMo! I have even put my word count and title in on the official site! I am going to be posting it on my Patreon as a Patron Only thing because if I can get to 50,000 words/finish it I'll probably try to self publish it.

I have generally had problems with getting high word counts in the past, so I generally haven't done very well with things like NaNo. However, I've been getting better at word count, though it was generally with several different fics that I was also working on. Now the big problem is maybe going to be Maintaining Focus and Somehow Doing Research Because The Real World is Strange and Confusing and I Don't Know How Anything Works, while writing.

Heres the title and blurb:

Eldritch Rhythm

Mirah is a runaway high priestess of a cult that worships Mysterious Entities Beyond Time and Space. Mirah would rather be a singer. Sadly her career has hiccups such as random entities summoned by hack sorcerers, demon hunters and idiots who want to join her Dark Crusade of Darkness. (There is no Dark Crusade of Darkness. There is only alt-pop with throat singing and a hint of R and B.)

Getting attacked by a demon hunter is just Tuesday for Mirah. When she’s attacked by demon hunter Jenna Blackwell at a gig she goes through the usual procedure of veiling memories questioning and returning the hunter to their base (and destroying all of their notes) before wiping their memories. This time around, the hunter’s apartment is wrecked, and everything of value stolen, including their gear.

Well hell.

Jenna finds herself being Mirah’s plus one at the coronation of Mirah’s babysister.

What the fuck.
    _______

I probably need to build more on Jenna's half of the the blurb.

2. OtherCat

So I ended up with an earache and was sick and I am very behind on the Nano. >_< Mostly I ended up doing worldbuilding and reading fan fic because of the earache/headache. I'm not happy, but I'm trying to go easy on myself.

3. OtherCat

It is so hard to for me to get prompts when I ask for them. Which is fine, technically, because I often have trouble with writing prompts. (Okay, I tend to not get a lot of reader interaction in general, which is both frustrating because anxiety and a relief also because of anxiety.)

4. OtherCat

A random line "...because this is how you get shaman."

I have no idea what it is that is "...because this is how you get shaman." eating strange mushrooms? out of body experiences? conversing with strange spirits?

This reminds me of two for mirth where I had the line "I set nothing in place that was not intended to lance a boil," for weeks and weeks, in addition to other bits of dialog, weeks before I could write anything down. Sadly, I'm not currently writing anything where there would be shaman...?

5. OtherCat

Because I'm still annoyed about it: On the most recent chapter of (they flow from form to form) Karkat gets some details from Light, which he passes on. I have him give some of the details, intending to expand in the next chapter.

And I get a comment from someone who thinks I "forgot" to have Karkat mention said details in that chapter. As if it couldn't have been possible that it was you know, deliberate because the end of the chapter is mostly focused on Karkat and Kankri having a fucking Moment, not on Shit That is Relevant to the Gamzee Situation.

I should not be mean about it, but bluntly, it makes me want to scream. Because they're going to think they helped me fix a problem that did not actually fucking exist.

6. OtherCat

I am still playing with a story idea where in it's a medieval stuck and the Prospit heirs carry off the Derse heirs because marriage-by-abduction. (Because it's hilarious, and I've seen several stories with a similar set up, though it's usually "Prospitians do terrible kinky things to Strider battle captives/hostages.) What I have planned is something a little different.

I think it's going to start with Dave being set up very comfortably in a Very Important Prisoner suite, he even has two servants! (Meanwhile, Rose has gone a little grimdark and gets caught because she rushed into a trap.)

7. OtherCat

I think the Prospitians were semi-nomadic raider/herder types who decided to settle down/expand their range/influence by conquering Skaia. (The concept of settling down having been brought to the old queen due to having been "fostered" by the Alternian Empress.) Derse had a mutual defense treaty with Skaia and took in many of the Skaian nobility, which is why Derse and Prospit-Skaia are at war.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice