WTF Brain Autocorrect? - the majestic sea pancake and other substitutions

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Socket, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Birdy

Birdy so long

when I was sedated in the hospital I kept calling the attending nurse Flint (his name was Cliff)

I also called corn carrots, and referred to the various medical equipment attached to my body, from the IV to the various ECG leads to the pulse-oximeter on my finger, as "tubes"

I forgot the word oxygen too, but somehow remembered oxygen gas is diatomic, so I just referred to it as "oh-two," and got super frustrated when my poor confused family had no idea what I was talking about

• Like x 13
  2. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

I have really bad recall issues so I have about a million of these. Yesterday I forgot the word for closet and said "kitchen for clothes"

One time I forgot blender, but remembered the word blend so I said "The thing, you know, it blends things."

Today I called the pantry a "food closet" which isn't wrong I guess.

I once even forgot my dog's name (Ripley) and called her "Dogby" which is an inside joke with the boyfriend now.

• Like x 14
  3. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

My mother just now: "You need the thing, for the soup, bzz bzz".

(A hand blender.)

• Like x 11
  4. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I spent most of last evening asking my mum if she'd seen my cocaine.

(CODEINE. I MEANT CODEINE.)

• Like x 9
  5. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

"Clothes conditioner" for fabric softener just now.

• Like x 9
  6. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

i was talking to my friend about carrots and was like, "yeah once my uncle ate so many carrots that like, bits of him turned orange from the vitamins? uhh, like, especially the bits, uh, the eye covers? eyeball blankets???? eye.....condoms.........HELP ME OUT HERE"
    and she was just like
    "....eyelids. r u trying to say eyelids."

• Like x 22
    • Winner x 1
  7. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I dreamt my German class was doing sketch comedy. I had come up with a hilarious line involving penguins but I had no idea what the German word was, so I came up with Schwimmenvogel (swimmingbird) combined with trying to mimic the way penguins walk.

(As it turns out, the German for penguin is the surprisingly simple Pinguin.)

• Like x 10
  8. Socket

Socket fuzzy tabletop goblin

dressing gowns have been 'blanket suits' in our house for months because i forgot what they were called, asked for my blanket suit, and it's stuck ever since...

• Like x 10
  9. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

People dish soap for body wash. Same difference, right?

• Like x 9
  10. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

My hands are sometimes tiny people dishes, I can confirm it.

• Like x 5
  11. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

I forgot the word for pantry so I said food closet and it has stuck. Also funny my boyfriend tried to help me remember the word pantry by writing it on the fridge with our magnetic letters but he wrote party instead and it was so funny we left it.

• Like x 9
  12. Trust No Sky

Trust No Sky Member

These are great.

There's a similar thing called a kenning in Old Norse and Old English epic poetry. Kennings usually replace one noun with a two-noun phrase, like "flavour dust" for "spice" or "vegetable eggs" for "seeds," except the epic poetry in question is mostly about killing things with swords. So kennings are mostly swords, stabbing people with swords, boats, and occasionally stabbing people with weapons that aren't swords if the poet was feeling especially creative.

Like, there's "battle flame" (sword) and also "thread shearer" (sword) and also "venom twig" (sword) and "battle light" (sword) and all that's just what I remember from Beowulf. But Eyvindr skáldaspillir kennings a sword as a "battle onion" at some point, and that's quite excellent, in my opinion.

Somewhere in the misty poetic past, some dude has been stabbed with a deadly battle onion.

It makes me happy that kennings as a poetic device have returned to the English language with the modern formula "I forgot what [referent] was called, so I called it [kenning]."

• Like x 21
  13. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

This morning my assistant called his arms his "upper legs"

• Like x 16
  14. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Wait, that's not how you call a food closet?

... Fuck it, I'm still gonna call it a food closet.
    You know what?
    [​IMG]
    Cold food closet.
    [​IMG]
    Meds closet.
    [​IMG]
    Car closet.

• Like x 13
  15. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Obviously there's no way to find out anymore, but I wonder if that's a pun, both onions and swords being sharp.

• Like x 3
  16. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I'm rather fond of Car Hole a la McMansionHell :D

• Like x 7
  17. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

i called a proboscis a "moth face thing" in bio today while talking to the teacher
    i meant to say "moth mouthparts"

• Like x 8
  18. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Immersion blender = The Zuzzer

Baby puke cheese is the family's go to term for the stuff. Partner was both tickled and gently horrified when I first said it. I can't eat this pizza it has baby puke on it.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  19. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Well he's not wrong per se.... XDD

• Like x 4
  20. Socket

Socket fuzzy tabletop goblin

Exhaust fumes, thanks to my brain, have become "car farts". Thanks, noisy moped in front of us...

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice