WTF House Remodels

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Lizardlicks, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Carrickfergus

Carrickfergus abstractor of the quintessence

Oh my god no but now I really WANT to have one. I feel like having a metal seat would be hilarious in a basement.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

hilariously freezing cold

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 2
  3. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

4. Lee

Lee i will face god and walk backwards into hell

very weird specific thing (idk if its relevant here but HAHAH), but i just can't get comfortable in houses that only have cold hardwood floors. In our house the upper floor is all carpet, which i am completely okay with. just the other night when i was trying to fall asleep, i started comparing the various houses that my friends and i lived in, and have subsequently designated them as 'friend-shaped' (has a lot of carpet/rug) or 'bad-shaped' (has no carpet/rug). after a long while of deliberation, i have concluded that the scale of 'friend-shaped' to 'bad-shaped' is largely based on how close the nearest carpet/rug is to the front entrance.

carpet is just good. it is so warm, it comforts all your various needs. it's just a bitch to clean though :CCCCCC

• Like x 1
  5. Lizardlicks

Yeah I'm completely the opposite having kids and AND cats AND a big fluffer dog, AND a husband that's kind of a slob. Carpet is evil. Carpet is the harbinger of mold, allergens bacteria and terrible smells. New carpet smells even worse, it makes my throat burn. Vacuums are expensive and even good ones give out after a few years in the face of overwhelming odds. Give me warm, rich wood any day.

(Rugs are okay though, s'long as I can take them out and wash them).

• Agree x 3
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

When my husband and I lived with his family, we were in his childhood room (a little weird, but ehhhh, it was fine). Each of the four walls was a different color (blue, orange, green, yellow), and he had bright red wall-to-wall carpet.

It was quite an experience to exist in there.

(We eventually pulled up the carpet and put in a bland area rug, which mellowed it out a little bit, but man. Those walls.)

• Witnessed x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. Lee

true, carpet in general is stupidly hard to keep clean and maintained. my preference for comfort outweighs my concerns about cleaning (but then again i'm not that much of a neat person anyway and my living space looks like a tornado went through it 99% of the time).

there are times when i get extremely mad at carpet, though. i scorched a portion of the carpet in my room when i was 12 and it still hasn't completely recovered, despite extensive efforts of cutting/cleaning :C. if only carpet were like hair.

(wait no that's a terrible idea what am i saying, growing carpet would be hell. although a rather fluffy one.)

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  8. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

One of the bathrooms in my parents' house is decorated entirely in yellow and brown.

Many jokes have been made about that color selection.

• Like x 5
  9. Lizardlicks

Carpet maintenance is such a spoon drain for me that I can't see it as a source of comfort. It has lost all it's ability to comfort, no matter how fancy or plush, because all I see is the stains and wear it will have in three months. It's nothing but hassle and work, which I don't need more of, and it will never again see the inside of my house.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  10. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

Possible middle ground: heated wood floors.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  11. Lizardlicks

12. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I don't like hardwood/tile bc we have a dog door and dirt outside that gets inside and makes the floor gritty and it gets on my feet which is no :(
    I mean I understand that carpet gets dirty too, but it doesn't usually transfer to my feet, so :P

• Like x 3
  13. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

where i live having shoes inside is a Huge nono, and we have wood floors and no dogs/small kids so it works fine having big rugs but idk if i could manage full carpets inside or rugs close to the entrance

its very humid and cold where i live so it would be a mess but inside is Good

14. Lee

oooooh, that gets me curious, though. i've never actually heard of people wearing shoes indoors as an Actual Thing People Do. like, of all the houses ive visited in my area we always take our shoes off and wear slippers or something. i have never been in a household where people keep their shoes on. do people actually wear shoes indoors or is that just a myth?

15. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Same actually. In my family shoes come off at the door. Might be a culutral thing though, most people i know donĀ“t wear shoes in the house.

16. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

Some people do. Some people have special indoor shoes for indoor only. My dad is one. They are all clearly insane

• Agree x 1
  17. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

In my family shoes only come off at the door if you feel like it or if you're worried about tracking something into the house. I usually don't take my shoes off in my apartment until I get to my bedroom, unless I stomped through a bunch of snow/slush on the way in and don't want to get water and salt and dirt all over the floor.

• Informative x 2
  18. Lizardlicks

I barely wear my shoes outside, much less inside.

• Agree x 3
  19. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Shoes are the devil's work and mine go off basically as soon as I can get them off.

• Agree x 5
  20. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

In my area it's kind of weird - if it's your house or somewhere you're very familiar with, shoes come off at the door. If you're a guest, they stay on until you get to the living room and sit down, normally, although I encourage people to take their shoes off because there is sand everywhere and I have enough of a time cleaning up what the dog tracks in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice