WTFood (weird but good food combos, bad tastes, etc)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ouija, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I like adding a bit of honey to chili, and bread and butter pickles with peanut butter on a sandwich is a match made in heaven.

Also seconding @Ruevian on the monte cristos, i sometimes make a cheater version by putting fruit preserves on a ham and swiss sandwich.

Double also ive never had them but my mom swears up and down sweet pickled jalpeneos are the food of the gods

Edit: just remembered my moms friends kids wont eat pizza without honey mustard, its not the best but its pretty nice

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    • Like x 2
  2. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

WELL, that was definitely tasty and very, very sweet, and meatballs+rice+green onion garnish was officially Too Much Sweet and I think I've burned myself out on this being a Food for the duration of this dish's shelf life. So those sure are some wasted leftovers. But this was nice, and I think it would work well as a shared meal or as a party appetizer.

(i didn't used to have a sweet limit, but now I'm noping out of chocolate-dipped cannolis and sodas, and now this? I realize this is probably a change for the (much) healthier, but brain, r u ok?)

3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

My mom always says her sweet tolerance keeps decreasing with age, so at least one other person shares this trait.

• Like x 1
  4. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I don't like coconut, usually. Coconut milk is okay as my favorite drink is piña colada, but the rest of it is meh.

Except for Colombian coconut rice. CCR is the stuff of the gods. The muse of poets. The salty, brown-sugar-sweet, spicy, crunchy muse of the gods. VERY tasty with fish and fried banana.

I also love acarajé, which is a dumpling made with those pinkish beige beans, fried in dendê oil, and filled with a shrimp-tomato-dendê mix that is 90% finely chopped Brazilian peppers. I ate one hot (with the hot sauce) and almost died.

I also really like mixing things with salami, especially sweets. Salami, cheese and jam sandwiches are the best

• Like x 1
  5. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

When I was little, my very favorite sandwich was a blueberry bagel with tuna, cheddar, and mustard. My parents still give me shit over it, but I stand by it as a solid choice.

• Like x 1
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I like bagels with honey and ham so. That´s a thing. The trick is to go light on the honey.

7. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

Imma leave this for your pondering: corn and cheese ice cream

• Like x 1
  8. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

My great-grandma once accidentally made yellow tomato ice cream, but that's one of those things that went down in family legend because it was a spectacular disaster.

• Like x 2
  9. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I really love cheese pamonha (it's a corn paste cooked until it becomes steamed-bun-like) but cheese pamonha ice cream is the scourge of the earth. The smell is enough to make me sick.

10. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

My grandma tried making ice cream with a sour cream base instead of normal heavy whipping cream the other week

Grandpa laughed at her and said it would taste like sour cream and he wasn't going to help her eat it

Guess what it fucking tasted like guys

Bonus: not only did it taste like frozen sour cream, it didn't freeze proper and was like chipping ice.

• Like x 2
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I would like to offer the term dwarf bread, after terry pratchetts lethal dwarf bread, meaning something that is technically edible, but so bad no one would possibly want to eat it. Much like dwarf bread again.

• Like x 8
  12. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Okay so

I fucked up

I've been up for 22 hours and I meant buttermilk

She made buttermilk ice cream

That being said she liked it but no one would help her eat it bc it tasted like god damn buttermilk

• Like x 6
  13. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I had corn ice cream once. It was ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again. Maybe it would've been better with cheese.

Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are amazing, and after reading about grilled peanut butter sandwiches I want to try grilling a pb & bacon sometime.

Oh and while doing her pastry arts degree my sister made basil sorbet to go with a pie. Supposedly amazing, but she didn't share any with me so I cannot confirm.

• Like x 2
  14. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Never had chocolate + avocado but a) avocados are basically butter that grows on a tree so I can totally see making like... some kind of nutella-like substance with avocado? and b) I have at least one cookbook around here somewhere with a recipe for a sweet avocado pie in it, so I'd be willing to try it.

Speaking of avocado: avocado + sprinkle of kosher salt + drizzle of balsamic vinegar. So good. Also avocado + soy sauce.

Bacon chocolate is good and I am so glad it's come to Target and I don't have to drive out to Whole Paycheck or Central Market to get it. It is definitely a Sometimes Food and one bar will last me three or four days, but the nice dark chocolate + bits of crunchy salty bacon are just ... yes.

Bacon + maple syrup, obviously. Bacon candied in a mixture of maple syrup and bourbon: even better.

Speaking of maple syrup and bourbon: I make a barbecue sauce with these things. It's amazing.

Plain apples + cheese? How about hot fresh apple pie + slice of American cheese on top?

Jellies/jams in meat dishes, definitely a Thing. Orange marmalade in pulled pork: check. Grape jelly in cocktail weenie sauce: check. Raspberry/habanero sauce made with raspberry jam and tossed with fried shrimp? Oh hell yes. ...shit man that reminds me, I still have most of a jar of balsamic/strawberry/serrano pepper jam in my fridge, you mix that with cream cheese and dip pretzels in it and it's amazing.

• Like x 3
  15. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

@Lerxst Can I come eat at your place? (Or, barring that, could you share a recipe for that fried shrimp dish because it sounds like something that needs to be in my mouth posthaste?)

• Like x 1
  16. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

I just looked those up. They look sooo good. The way its wrapped though reminds of another filipino dessert, suman. As an ice cream, i can only think someone was drunk when they came up with that idea cause pamonha looks like something that should be eaten right out of the steamer as soon as its done... or however its cooked...

If you want to try corn and cheese ice cream, try to look for a filipino asian market... if there is an area where theres a flip population...

My dads coworker came up with a sandwhich he called the diabetic coma inducer: PB, jam, mayo, honey, bananna slices, and some other stuff i cant remember off the top of my head. The last thing you do is fry the sucker with a ton of butter.

17. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

@budgie heh, there's no actual recipe because that was a "let's do a Mad Science in the kitchen!" thing, but the sauce was basically... saute some diced bell pepper, then dump some seedless raspberry jam or jelly in the and heat it gently till it's runny, while it's heating up take a habanero pepper and poke it with a fork or stab it gently, just pierce the skin all over and put it in the pan with the heated up jam, let it steep in there until the sauce is as spicy as you like, then fish out the pepper and do what you will with it, then toss the sauce with your wings or shrimp or other fried stuff. For most people, just steeping a stabbed habanero in the sauce will make it plenty hot but if that doesn't quite do it for you, you can totally chop the pepper up and throw it right in there. Maybe add just a little balsamic vinegar if you'd like it a little more on the tart side.

[edit: I just remembered I put pineapple chunks in with the jam too]

• Like x 2
  18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

That reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes storyline where he decided he was hiking to the Yukon and packed sandwiches to keep his energy up. One was peanut butter and chocolate syrup and the other was honey and marshmallow.

• Like x 8
  19. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

IIIIIIII definitely did something similar with peanut butter, chocolate frosting, and marshmallow cream. But it wasn't for hiking, it's just because I have a massive sweet tooth.

Re salt making things sweeter: what it does is cut down bitterness. If your coffee or grapefruit is too bitter, sprinkle in a little salt rather that trying to dump a bunch of sugar on. All you get from adding sugar is a bunch of sweet that's still bitter, like fruit gone wrong.

• Like x 2
  20. NumiTuziNeru

NumiTuziNeru @#$%?

okay first off: you goddamn americans and your applesauce on latkes its smetana or nothing in this house you heathens

(unless you're my mum, who puts sugar on them. because of who she is as a person.)

also: my personal favourite thing is nutella, peanut butter, and cheddar. i don't know why.
    and my mum recently made both chives and maple-bacon icecream (with bacon bits!) which are.... kind of a mindfuck to say the least. especially the chives.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice