WTFood (weird but good food combos, bad tastes, etc)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ouija, Oct 19, 2016.

1. hanka

hanka the sweetest double agent

пошел ты отсюда со своей сметаной! who you callin' american? :P

• Like x 1
  2. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

O hmy god maple bacon ice cream sounds divine. I want an ice cream maker so bad :_:

• Like x 3
  3. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

yooooooooo you can make perfectly good ice cream with nothing but a mixer, a loaf pan, and yer freezer.

1 can sweetened condensed milk aka Eagle Brand (the low-fat is no bueno for this, sorry)
    Maple extract/flavoring and perhaps also some real maple syrup for swirling
    1 pint heavy cream
    crumbled crispy bacon, as dry as possible

Dump the sweetened condensed milk into a bowl, add maple flavor. Make it fairly strong, as it'll be toned down by the cream in a bit. Mix, set aside.

Pour the cream into a big bowl and whip it to stiff peaks, preferably with mechanical assistance.

Pour the condensed milk goo into the whipped cream and very gently fold it all together. Don't stir or beat, you want to try to keep as much air in the mixture as possible. This is also when you want to sprinkle in the bacon.

Once it's all mixed together, carefully pour it into a loaf pan. Don't shake the pan down or smush the mixture, again you want to keep as much air as you can in it. If you want a maple syrup swirl, just pour a little ice cream goo into the pan, drizzle on syrup, pour more goo, drizzle more syrup, and repeat until the pan is full.

Cover the pan and put it in the freezer overnight. That's it. Go forth and make ice cream.

• Like x 6
  4. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I'm adding maple extract to my shopping list and crossing my fingers they have it at any of my stores.

5. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Zakuski fucking rule.

The only russian beer I have had was very ordinary. Not bad, just nothing special.

• Like x 1
  6. hanka

yesss! my roommate introduced me to this awesome korean bbq place in the next town over, and i will say that banchan are pretty close to zakuski-tier.

best russian food is blini (savory crepes) with sour cream and salmon eggs. peak slav tier is seledka pod shuboy (herring under a fur coat) which is this layered pile of pickled herring, boiled shredded beets, boiled shredded carrots, hard-boiled eggs, dill, some vinegar, and mayo or sour cream. good shit op.

• Like x 2
  7. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

We went to a wedding reception years ago where there was a giant plate of pickled herring. My dad, my sister and I were like NOM! NOM! NOM!

Everybody else was like "Ick. Pickled fish. Ick."

NOM! NOM! NOM!

ETA: To make it more humorous, my father's ancestry is seriously English. Like, Mayflower Society English. My mother's ancestry is random Slavic/East European from Bratislava, but she hates that stuff.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    • Like x 1
  8. hanka

herring is good as hell!! i don't understand these people with different tastes from me. when i was little my babu would pickle herring and onions, and serve it with boiled potatoes. good shit.

also i distinctly remember one of my many aunties letting me and a crowd of cousins have plain spaghetti with sugar on it when we behaved ourselves. mom says this is because noodles came late to eastern europe and no one knew they were supposed to be savory for a while.

• Like x 1
  9. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

i put frosting and peanut butter on sandwiches

its like a knockoff fluffernutter and its the BEST

• Like x 1
  10. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

wanders in ehre after spicy discussion with a hilarious story

okay so my housemate and her dad like everything spicier than I do. It's a thing.

Except, EXCEPT, they are like way more sensitive to cayenne than me for some bizarre genetics reason. I made spanish rice with some once, was like "oh oops that's a little too spicy, oh well" and then they BOTH basically had steam-out-ear reactions. It was hilariously confuing.

• Like x 2
  11. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

@Starcrossedsky That reminds me of how a lot of people I know who like spicy foods handle immediate spice well but not so much slow-burn spice.

• Like x 1
  12. itsAlana

itsAlana let me tell you about the vorkosigan saga

so next time you have strawberries, dip them in sour cream mixed with brown sugar. trust me. nectar of the gods.

• Like x 2
  13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Peanut butter + maple syrup on Breakfast Confection of your choice.

• Like x 2
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I just remebered that time i had dr pepper and pickle juice and it sounds terrible but is actually really good

15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Oh, also mac n cheese with a bit of maple syrup or molasses is heavenly

16. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

My great grandmother used to make her own pickles. I think they were called Lime pickles but I'm not sure. Anyway I used to dip them in mashed potatoes like chips. I thought it was the best thing ever everyone else thought I was insane.

and buffalo sauce on a grilled ham and cheese.

• Like x 2
  17. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

I'm extremely resistant to both forms of spice, but horseradish can still knock me down (this doesn't mean I don't still eat way too much horseradish, tho)
    It leads to interesting times when eating out with friends

• Like x 1
  18. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

A thing I dislike: a place I went to once puts mustard in mac and cheese.

• Like x 1
  19. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

I'm also extremely resistant to bitter flavors, which together with my spicy tolerance means that no one will ever steal my lunch or coffee. (I always order my coffee as 'black, like my soul')

My only weakness: SOUR.

• Like x 1
  20. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Hot Chocolate and red wine: Oddly good.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice