Yarn Selection and Swatches

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Zin, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

Less about projects, more about materials! I'm still super new to knitting, but I've been playing around and collecting varigated yarns in lots of colours and such... so. I can't always find an example of the way they look, so....

If you have swatch examples, yarn recommendations, or want to talk about your favorite yarns ( and, hell, favorite needles, too ) this is the thread!!!

I'm currently working through a stack of self-striping Charisma Yarns and making 5x5 swatches that I'm going to turn into a blanket, so I'll be posting pictures of the way they stripe, etc...

Paging @bluefox

• Like x 1
  2. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

20151110_220812.jpg
    This is Loops & Threads, Charisma, in Black Raspberry.

• Like x 1
  3. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

20151114_093500.jpg
    This series is Loops&Threads, Charisma, Cascade. ( I think. )

Edit: It's CASCADE, not Lakeside!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    • Like x 1
  4. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

20151114_094227.jpg This set is Loops&Threads, Charisma, Holiday.

I'm actually enjoying the colours so much I'm going to get more soon.

• Like x 1
  5. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

As a note, re: L&T Charisma, I have at least one skein of every multicolour. The only ones I do not have are Ash, Bouquet, Sunny Day, and Bright Pop. ( Technically I don't have Eggplant but... *pushes order button* Whoops. )

I'm skipping around, working through a skinny scarf in Paradise, then messing around with Toadstool, Stormy, and Dragonfly... at least two of which are going to be made into swatches for my eventual quilt. Once the skinny scarf is through the colour patterns, I'll put a picture up! :)

6. blue

blue hightown funk you up

ahh, this is awesome, thank you!

7. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

20151114_200352.jpg Here's Loops&Threads, Charisma, Paradise! 10 stitches across, size 9 boye needle. My posts upthread are all about 15 stitches across, on size 8 boye needles.

8. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

Charisma Dragonfly and Toadstool will be coming soon. :3c

@jacktrash any chance you could share some of your favorite coloured yarns? *-*

9. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

ooh! well, i have accumulated the full rainbow of knitpicks stroll tonal, i love it for machine-washable stranded colorwork. i want to make every mittens.

[​IMG]

also over in the other fiber arts thread i posted a selfie with a hat i'm making with ball-ends of mini mochi rainbow

[​IMG]

and it's BLINDING but i'm having trouble transferring photos from my devices to my laptop rn so no new pic, sry.

... what a great thread btw, i love yarn. <3

• Like x 2
  10. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

Book rec: The Essential Guide of Color Knitting Techniques. Not only does it have stitch patterns, it also has color theory appropriately adapted to yarn (because yarn has some unique considerations compared to other visual arts), and tips on how to work with That Weird Variegated Yarn You Need To Use Up.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice