Yn Faire Morporkia Where We Lae Our Syne

Discussion in 'Boat Trolls RP' started by Erskin Aspera, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Mister Jethro

Mister Jethro A Perfectly Ordinary Shopkeeper

Wow, he's completely zoned out. That's cute. It's cute enough that you query your feelings as to whether you're hoping to date him, which could be both awkward and fun with the new roommate thing. But no, you're pretty sure your feelings are more big-brotherly. Once you're satisfied he's not going to fall off the counter, you get out your stock book and get started.

When bats get in your way, you gently shoo them aside. Every so often, you shake out a skein and a moth or two flies out, which precipitates squeaking excitement. You've got a beaming smile on your face the whole time; it's like being mobbed by flying kittens.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
    • Like x 6
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

[​IMG]

• Like x 5
  3. Erskin Aspera

Erskin Aspera flintlockGallivant

Eventually every square inch of the store's been picked clean by eager snouts and all the moths and larvae and silverfish and centipedes and spiders have been snapped up. It'd be better for the shop if you could have left the spiders, but a snack is a snack, to a bat. Once or twice a bat got stuck in a skein or snagged on some doiley or other, and you became distantly aware of Mr Makwaa hunting the source of distress down and gently untangling it. You appreciate the kindness.

The bats wing back to you one by one, pleased and tired, and you refocus by degrees. It's... late. Some time into the night. Bats or not, vampire or not, you're not particularly nocturnal, so you don't know. You slide off the counter and stagger, blinking and rubbing at your face, adjusting to the weight and volume of your body.

"There," you say vaguely. "Mm. Howzat."

• Like x 5
  4. Mister Jethro

You yawn, and he catches it off you; it's companionable. "Brilliant. Totes worth the rent. Gonna miss that spider by the back door, but the customers didn't like it, and it looked like it musta been tasty." You clap his back gently, wary of knocking him over. "No wonder you don't need to add much to the grocery list, all your bits get a good feed while you work." Holding the tapestry aside for him, you offer, "Care for a nightcap before bed? I'm craving sahlab and since you like milk you might enjoy it."

• Like x 2
  5. Erskin Aspera

"Mm. Yes. I'll have to-- take care of the-- the dry bits, do you have a, a, a waste...bin." You blink around at room you've been steered to. "This bit's not exactly pretty."

• Like x 2
  6. Mister Jethro

You direct him matter-of-factly to the item he needs and leave him to it, busying yourself with milk and cinnamon at the stove.

• Like x 1
  7. Erskin Aspera

After hacking up a certain amount of dry, dusty exoskeletons, you wipe your mouth, push the wastebin to a more discrete location, and join him at the table for a drink. You're glad to clear the taste out of your mouth with—

"What is this, exactly? It's very nice."

• Like x 1
  8. Mister Jethro

"Milk and rosewater, thickened with sahlab orchid root. More bedtimey than cocoa, I think, plus I gather you're kind of fed up with cocoa."

• Like x 2
  9. Mister Jethro

[​IMG]

• Like x 3
  10. Erskin Aspera

"Just a bit, yes," you smile, and enjoy the rest of the glass. "There's songs, too, you know. The meetings are absolutely dreadful clear across the board. I'll be glad to be shut of them, I've had to go to every meeting since I've been denned up in a chapter house's attic. They're three times a week!" You realize abruptly that this might not be a reassuring thing to go on about. "Not that I'm going off... off whatever. Whatever it is you get on when you're, er, not." You scratch your nose awkwardly. "I'm just not keen on how deciding not to murder people is apparently a group activity, here. You'd think a fellow could just go 'right, okay, no more murdering people!' and that would be it."

• Like x 5
  11. Mister Jethro

You shrug equitably. "I suppose some people need more help with it than others. And some find group activities more helpful than others. Personally I think I'd throw a cog if I had to sit through those." You give a theatrical shudder. "Three times a week. Yikes. You think they'll be fussy about you ditching out? I'll go with you to get your stuff in the morning if you want. Let 'em see you're not moving into a den of thieves and miscreants or something."

• Like x 1
  12. Erskin Aspera

You nod gratefully. "Yes, they'll certainly fuss— over my attendance, I mean, certainly not you. I've rather gotten the notion that the community likes to keep close eyes on one another. Make sure no one's, er, fudging. Alphard's always going on about Publik Szentiment!, you know."

Fussing with your empty glass, you say thoughtfully, "They're so old, is the really unnerving thing. They're— Alphard's six hundred. Six hundred! The whole Aspera line only traces back four hundred and sixty seven, because no one knows if Tiberius Asp-fullstop actually counts. Being in a room with all those chaps with all their centuries is like—" you shiver. "It crushes all the air out. And then they want you to have a jolly goot time wif zem."

You know you probably shouldn't be opening up like this to a fellow you just met, but all the dairy's got you less ravenous and frightened than you've been in months, and you're also more than a little desperate for not-totally-creepy company.

• Like x 5
  13. Mister Jethro

"Poor guys, they sound kind of hopeless. Six hundred years is a long time to be a dork."

• Like x 2
  14. Erskin Aspera

You pause for a moment, trying to remember what dork means, then start giggling helplessly into your hands.

"Oh, gods, that's so mean," you laugh. "They are though! We all are!"

• Like x 2
  15. Mister Jethro

That's it for your straight face; you join him in giggletown. "I'm sorry, but I've met the type, they are so. You're not really, though; you're charming. I can't imagine you clapping your hands and demanding everyone join you in a great big bowl of moral fiber."

• Like x 1
  16. Erskin Aspera

Charming! He thinks you're charming! It's nice to know that's come back, at least.

"Moral fiber's good for you," you scold, clapping your hands at him. "I eat a great big bowl every morning and I've never felt more full of shit!"

• Like x 10
  17. Mister Jethro

You pigsnort and put your head down on the table. "Good thing I -- modernized -- my bathroom!" you cackle.

• Like x 3
  18. Erskin Aspera

"I've come to the only man in town that can handle my virtuous ways and digestive issues! How fortunate!" you laugh, leaning back in your chair.

• Like x 3
  19. Mister Jethro

"Truly, the gods are smiling! They may even be having a giggle at us." You nudge his elbow. "All right, bedtime, we have to be up early to get stuff done before I open the shop at ten."

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2016
    • Like x 1
  20. Erskin Aspera

"Oh, I can— I can sleep here tonight?" you say, stumbling upright. You are tired, enough to yawn enormously and catch yourself against the table. "I mean, may I? I can go back to... to the attic, if there's, no place yet. Bed. Mm."

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice