Yooooo

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by ingloriousHeist, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ingloriousHeist

ingloriousHeist Shen an Calhar

Hey, I'm Cassie, aka Heist. I haven't been on a forum like this since, I dunno, 2007, so that's something.
    I'm ingloriousHeist on Tumblr and Flight Rising. I used to troll around as triannakumira, but I haven't used that handle in a while.
    Um... I like stories, and I like analyzing them. Fantasy, High Fantasy, and Pyschological Horror are awesome, but I'll read pretty much anything.
    I also like languages - I have four years of Latin classes under my belt, plus a little Japanese, and I've been slowly teaching myself Dothraki.
    Yeah, I dunno what else. Hello!

• Like x 1
  2. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Psychological Horror, huh?
    What are your feelings on Stephen King?

3. garden

garden lucid dreamer

That's awesome! I've always been kind of curious about learning fictional languages, and I love Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire. Is it difficult?

4. ingloriousHeist

@boyacrossthestreet I haven't actually ever been able to get through a Stephen King novel, honestly. Something about the way he writes pings me oddly for some reason. It's possible that I've never gotten around to reading one of his "good" novels, though; I've been told to read the Dark Tower series and haven't gotten around to them. So far, I tend to gravitate towards things like The Horla.

@garden It's really great! The tools that I use to learn it tend to be pretty technical, because that's what I'm used to in language-learning. It's kind of a medium difficulty for me that way, but I'm unsure what other people's metrics toward difficulty is. It's very much a language steeped in the culture.

5. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Honestly, I think his best one is Duma Key. Skeeves me out. And if you want to start "properly" in the Dark Tower series, a good book is Eyes of the Dragon, because it sets up his universe pretty well and helps you figure out if you want to continue or not without sucking you into a series that you may or may not like.

Stories like The Horla and The Yellow Wallpaper are always hit or miss for me; I think too much about the mental illnesses that the people in the books probably have instead of any thriller-esque supernatural entities. I'm pretty sure that's due to my psych classes.

6. ingloriousHeist

Hmm, I haven't tried either of those. I'll look for them next time I hit the library.

Stories like those are my favorites because you don't know if they have mental illness or not. Okay, you kind of do in The Yellow Wallpaper, but The Horla at least leaves you with the implication that he might have been hypnotized or that the creature might very well be real. It's the ambiguity of it that's intriguing. Outside of those, there are also stories like The Upper Berth, by Crawford. It's a little different in topic, but they share a similar tone.

7. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Ooh. I didn't think I had read Upper Berth before, but when I found it on Gutenberg, I realized that I had.
    There was this book called Mostly Ghostly I read when I was a kid that I am pretty sure was not supposed to be read by kids. The Upper Berth is in there, and it's illustrated. That one does ring creepy to me.

Hmm. My favorite horror story, though, is this giant monstrosity about this army guy who fights his way through this creepy haunted bunker. Found... Here
    Not exactly psychological, but definitely horror.

8. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Makes sense. Perhaps I will look into learning it myself... when I have less responsibility / more spoons, at any rate.

9. ingloriousHeist

I made the mistake of reading The Upper Berth at night, during a very loud thunderstorm, while sitting in the dark on my loft bed at 16. That alone has ensured that no story will ever be eerier to me, although several have tried.

Oooh, new anthology book~. Of course, I had Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark as a kid, but I really got into horror stories with H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror. It's an anthology based on what he wrote about in his essay "Supernatural Horror In Literature."

That's understandable - spoons can be hard to get. There should probably be less technical resources out there, but I just don't know them.
    Partially related, I really need to reread the most recent couple ASOIAF books...

10. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Would you like a coatl I have so many coatls

11. ingloriousHeist

I have fifteen Coatls in my lair all the time, don't offer me Coatls, I will drown under Coatls at this rate, noooooo

12. Starcrossedsky

That's the exact position I'm in TAKE MY PURPLE BABIES

13. ingloriousHeist

Noooooooo *grabby hands*
    To be honest though I don't even have an empty slot in my lair right now

14. Starcrossedsky

15. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Funnily enough, reading is pretty much the activity that requires the least spoons, for me, so I have started rereading the ASOIAF books. Right now I'm mostly done with A Game of Thrones.

16. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Cassieeeeee~

I really need to read more horror/psychological thriller stuff. I mean I absolutely love creepypastas... (Psychosis, and Candle Cove are my favorites. I also really like The Smiling Man from r/Let'sNotMeet)

The only Steven King novel I've read is The Dead Zone, because I really liked the TV series (which is only based loosely on it... but at least they acknowledge that in the credits. :P)

17. ingloriousHeist

Normally I do, if I'm careful about breeding and stuff, but I made the mistake of not paying enough attention and breeding to many babies at once. T_T

I just need to make the time to start a reread, and then I'll be fine, but I just haven't had that much patience for long books recently. I'll get back into it eventually, though. I need to reread Wheel of Time, too.

We should start a rec thread or something.

18. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Ooh. This. Yes.

19. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

HI CASSIE!!!!!!! :DDDD

re: Dothraki, there is an official book out now for learning it (I saw it at B&N the other day). Which is probably redundant for you by now maybe? But maybe it'd be worth looking into idk.

• Like x 2
  20. ingloriousHeist

Hiii! :D
    Ooooh, awesome! I would appreciate having something at hand that more organized than my poor notebook, haha. I will keep an eye out for it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice