You've unlocked achievement: Insomnia

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by TrillianAri, Mar 19, 2018.

1. TrillianAri

TrillianAri 5'7" of whelm on a 5'4" frame.

Wait no put that back!

So, good news: my depression medication works.
    Bad news: I think it's disrupting my sleep - which is a known side effect of the med.

I'm also irritable, sleeping extremely lightly, neurotic, and snappish. Ugh.

• Witnessed x 4
  2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

It's probably worth talking to your doc about that and seeing if they could try you on a different antidepressant. It sounds like the downsides are outweighing the upsides here, and that's no good.

Out of curiosity, which med is it?

3. TrillianAri

TrillianAri 5'7" of whelm on a 5'4" frame.

Buprprion, I think the brand name is Wellbutrin. The difficult thing is that it was a long road to a drug that mostly works. Also, the downside to switching drugs is another 6 weeks of building up to effective levels in my bloodstream (if it works) and then scary brain off meds. And I'm not always like this, I just noticed my misaphonia is at 11 and I'm being a little bit of a bitch - but I'm terrible at judging if I am being one or if I've just asked for considerations within normal human parameters (grew up in abuse/neglect home).

• Witnessed x 2
  4. Acey

If it helps at all, you haven't come across as bitchy at all to me!

As for the insomnia, though, that's definitely something to discuss with your doctor--maybe they can help you find something that'll help with that?

• Agree x 1
  5. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

Can you look into taking it at a different time of day, or possibly a different time release type? I have to take medication at night because I can't reliably take it in the morning, and if I take it too late in the day (between say, 11 am and 5 pm), it messes up my sleep.

• Like x 1
  6. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

what @Secret Squirrel said. are you taking it in the morning or evening? if it makes you feel more energized, taking it in the morning is a better option.

it's also possible, if you haven't been on it very long, that this is a symptom that will go away after your body adjusts. i've had some pretty gnarly symptoms when switching to a new med that go away within a month. but definitely talk to your doctor, like @Acey suggested, if it doesn't seem to get any better.

• Agree x 2
  7. Acey

This can also be very true! I don't think I've personally had it happen but I've known plenty of people who have. So that's something to keep in mind too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice