Chiomi's radical transparency thread

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by Chiomi, Apr 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

• hey look here's an announcement
    • today someone was in the middle of talking about his feelings and I said 'I don't care' and walked away, so I'm just going to go resolve cute animal reports and refrain from doing anything that involves judgement or careful consideration

• Witnessed x 8
  2. Chiomi

• updated FAQ and glossary

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  3. Chiomi

• resolved report(s)
    • approved user post(s)
    • didn't approve some others, but other mods are online and presumably not a) quite as cranky or b) in the middle of reading a dissertation

• Like x 2
  4. Chiomi

• approved user post(s)
    • resolved report(s)
    • left some reports because cute animals
    • edited post in mod philosophy thread to reflect the fact that I can't, software-wise, put someone on post mod
    Also it just occurred to me that if the pets thread ever ends up actively on fire it may be a while before we notice, since reports that are just expected to be a pick-me-up aren't always opened immediately.

Edit: by me. other mods are apparently more diligent.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    • Like x 4
  5. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I promise to post the most inflammatory stuff I can manage there in the event that happens.

• Useful x 3
  6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I mean, if it does catch fire, there will probably be a new thread about the pet thread fire right quick, and it will probably also be on fire and thus get reported. I don’t know if that’s comforting or the opposite.

• Agree x 7
  7. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

maybe we should retire the "report your cute pets" thing?

it might seem unlikely that the pet thread or any animal thread will end up on fire, but it is possible. bpdanon was splitting about bugs and gender roles very early in the history of this forum, and i honestly didn't expect that to happen until it did. i hadn't thought about bugs and gender roles in connection to each other that much until the thread happened, and when i had, i always figured that it was a total non-issue and that everyone would be chill about it if it came up. but instead, it turned out to be something that made bpdanon very mad and set the thread on fire.

so, if assuming that reports from the pet threads are silly and inconsequential means that you won't open them soon enough, you should probably do something to fix that - whether it's saying "please don't report your cute pets because they're cute" or deciding to open reports from those threads in the same timeframe as you'd open them if they came from another thread.

8. Chiomi

I think I'm mostly going to try to just open them faster: I really do feel like the criteria for reporting something should just be 'thinks mods should see it' at any time, for any reason. The cute animals have been a super welcome consequence of the way I initially worded that, but them mostly just being a fun thing doesn't really make me want to substantially reframe my position. Because, like, it's not categorically 'must be this cute' and then, completely separately 'must be this upsetting for this specific reason' to report, and I am leery of trying to curb the number by saying 'only a few animals' and don't want to ever tell people to completely stop reporting a category of thing.

. . . that was some words. I have a fever. It's probably obvious. Anyway, bottom line:

I think 'mods should see this' is and should be the only reason someone needs in order to report a post.

In service of which I'm gonna go resolve some reports.

• Like x 7
    • Useful x 2
  9. Chiomi

• resolved report(s)
    • approved user post(s)

• Like x 1
  10. Cihomi

Cihomi Original Chiomi Do Not Steal

• Looked at amninols.
    • SILENCED DISSENTERS.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Winner x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
  11. Chiomi

Down with the false mod!

Also, for those not aware, all of the smilies available on the forum are listed here: https://kintsugi.seebs.net/help/smilies

(brought up because I asked for a lying cat emoji on discord and someone mentioned the possibility of suggesting it here, but no, it's gr8, we already have :lyingcat: )

• Winner x 5
    • Useful x 3
  12. Starscream

Starscream Seeker

You call that silencing?

• Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  13. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Yeah, I always look at the cute pet reports right away just in case and tend to resolve them in batches later. The only reason the little red report notification doesn't make me automatically sick is because of the cute pets, so please keep doing that. It helps enormously with mod burnout.

• Winner x 8
    • Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Rating winner because it is good to hear that cute pets help.

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 2
  15. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I always open the pet reports, but I only resolve the dogs, because otherwise none of the other mods would get to see the cute.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 3
  16. Chiomi

I apparently hit on a solution at the same time as Snitch, about using the comment function so we can resolve stuff after we know a few other people have seen it.

• Useful x 5
    • Like x 2
  17. Lying Cat

Lying Cat ...

:3c

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  18. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

i'm breaking my unwritten rule of only using lying cat as impromptu CBT because that emoticon is delightful and important

also i should find some cute animals for you guys, i'm glad they help

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  19. Chiomi

I made a flowchart for a different thread, and posted it with this:

"Here's a sort of preliminary flowchart. Seebs wasn't around to contribute, and there wasn't any big consensus, so this shouldn't be considered authoritative. But here's a way to figure out whether spoiling something might be appropriate. And with some things, we might still later come and ask you if you'd be willing to add a spoiler, because sometimes we have extra information."

spoilerdecisions (1).png

• Informative x 10
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  20. Chiomi

• approved user post(s)
    • see things I need to reply to but am on while not paying attention in class and so my attention is kind of split and most things here i'd rather have a whole brain to formulate a response with

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice