fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. blue

blue hightown funk you up

AAAAAAA

IMG_3125.JPG

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

ohhhhhhh my god these are lovely

• Agree x 2
  3. blue

blue hightown funk you up

4. DylanKat

DylanKat idontknowwhatimdoing.jpg

I am a puffin of pride tbh, its a Thing that is Complete and it does me a proud.
    I do not knit yet and i want those holy shit
    @Alaspooralice have you considered a hippo? very squish, sells very well with all ages at the store I work at.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

I have not! I will look into making such a thing because wow that would be cute.

6. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

@Alaspooralice I'm biased and like cuttlefish quite a bit? I think they're kind of like cute + simple enough that they'd be popular, though!!

• Informative x 1
  7. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

@Alaspooralice I was super excited about that man-o-war, but idk if it would be too complicated to create to sell.

• Informative x 1
  8. Alaspooralice

The manowar was actually pretty simple, def simpler than the doll I'm making atm. I'd just like to find a good way to make it safe to hang up. I will also look into cuttlefish because you are right those are super cute.

• Agree x 1
  9. emcapi

emcapi Well-Known Member

somewhat related to fiber arts:

Went to see my wonderful Aunt Cindy and Uncle Mark and their many teeny lambs yesterday. Got to hold two of them :D
    Also Aunt C gave me a trash sheepskin that she couldn't sell because it was so tangled and had holes in it, so I've started slowly working on combing it out. Oh my god the patch I've gotten worked out so far is sooo so so soft and floofy, I'm in sensory heaven.

May post a bunch of lamb pics if you guys want! (feel free to direct me to a better thread if you think there would be a good one to put them besides this)

• Like x 7
  10. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

@emcapi I would love to see lamb pics and I'm sure everyone in the pets thread would too!

• Agree x 3
  11. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Penguins, maybe?

• Informative x 1
  12. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I spent the last one or two weeks or so sewing my old ren faire dresses to tabard, and sewing crests for and onto the blue one:

WIN_20170419_13_40_03_Pro.jpg
    The back is some sort of thick but still sewable, slightly translucent fabric on yellow fleece. Nicely sewable layered twice, shit to sew layered three times, like at the edges.
    The border is blue cotton yarn I usually use for fingerlooping, sewed on with a darning needle because it was the only one with a larger enough ear. It's a bit lopsided, but still took four hours, and I wanted to wear it the next day. The yarn wore through a few times.
    WIN_20170419_13_40_38_Pro.jpg
    The front is a stretchy fabric on another stretchy fabric, and I didn't bother with making a decent hem. The border are two fingerloop braids, this one to be specific, 3 ells yarn length each (about the longest you can make with the braid being somewhat firm at the beginning), two light blue, two dark blue, one yellow. It's whipstitched on. All other stitches are backstitch.
    It's not sewn to the tabard at the top to enable me to put my head through the hole.

• Like x 6
  13. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

14. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

A friend bought me one of those wool winding hand-crank things for Christmas. I have finally reached the end of The Great Untangling.

[​IMG]

It all fits so neatly in my yarn bag! And they're all centre-pull for added neatness.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
  15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

.... Daaang. I want one now.

• Agree x 3
  16. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

Cute!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  17. Alaspooralice

The original pattern for the manowar was on a website that no longer exists, so I am gonna make my own pattern based on the finished one and my best guess. Wish me luck!

• Witnessed x 4
    • Like x 3
  18. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

It's been a little while since I posted giant robot cross-stitch. Why don't I fix that? In the last big sprint to finish this, I actually managed to give myself a blister on the tip of my index finger. I didn't even realize it was there for a day or two, because it's under a pretty respectable callus. But... yep, tip of the finger blister, that happened.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    • Winner x 10
    • Like x 4
  19. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Behold, a wip of this shawl thing
    https://www.yarn.com/products/two-of-sticks-high-plains-drifter-free?

done in half a skein of aslan trends royal alpacs in the light blue, then about the same amount of the same yarn in the dark green, then i cannibalized a hat that was made using the first half of the light blue, and started in on a new skein of the dark green. V soft, v squish due to garter stitch, and i can tell it'll be v warm as well. A good project to pet and put ones face on tbh

These needles are too short now but i dont have another set in this gauge lol. Also in the bottom right corner is a small image of canadian musician Coleman Hell, i just want to clear that up before someone notices and asks why hipster jesus is gazing benevolently at my landlady's floral couch
    20170502_013604.jpg

Out of focus stripes for your viewing pleasure, because tbh why not add stripes at this point, i dont know what i'm doing but i think these colours go with my wardrobe?

20170502_013651.jpg

And the wrong side, because i think it looks neat too
    20170502_013732.jpg

• Like x 13
  20. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

So, uh - asking before I try anything: one of the slippers I made for myself has gotten two holes in it, I'm not sure from what; one's in the toe, and the other's not far from it on the ball of the foot. I'm considering using embroidery thread to patch with. Potential problems: the embroidery thread is cotton, the yarn in the slippers is some kinda wool blend. (Also, the thread isn't going to be an exact colour match.)

How terrible is it gonna go if I try this?
    (Edited to add: also, what's the best recommended way of fixing holes in fibrework anyways?)

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice