I don't think the no rules thing is working

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by versi2, Oct 18, 2017.

?

are there rules?

1. no

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. technically, no

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. yes

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. sort of, yes

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. I can't even tell

16 vote(s)
    29.6%
  6. I mean, there's one, I guess, but it's very vague and unhelpful

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Khan

Khan why does anyone NOT hate her

You, specifically? Nothing much. Seebs and the mod team as a whole? Maybe some acknowledgement that this was a fucked up situation exacerbated by mismanagement, and admission from the mismanager(s) that I did not deserve to be treated that way, and a solid commitment to taking people seriously when they tell mods they are being harmed.

Not, for example, posting about how they are just virtue-signalling and could not possibly be hurt by [sustained harassment | racial slurs | etc] and this is a campaign to hurt someone else. Not, for example, laughing about how ridiculous their reports are, in public or in private. <s> Because the person telling the mods they are in pain could not possibly be in actual pain. </s>

I am not saying this as an attack on you or any individual. Cool? Cool. I am concerned that the mods are not in adequate communication since a major policy change was never announced to the userbase.

• Agree x 6
  2. Leechkin

Leechkin Well-Known Member

the whole rigs situation kinda makes the idea that this has been solved merely by adding staff laughable on the face of it

• Agree x 3
  3. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

OK, but that's pretty spread out, and doesn't serve exactly the same purpose I was thinking of.

... I would elaborate but I think I am out of words for the night.

• Agree x 1
  4. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Kathy, I appreciate you a lot. Don't work yourself into a fit worrying about it, or me, or apologizing for it. I'm fine, this is just a subject of interest for me considering I run my own "group" for "mental health support" :-)

• Like x 1
  5. As someone who appreciates clearly-laid-out rules
    If the answer to "what happens if I fuck up" is "nothing"
    then the answer to "what happens if other people fuck up" is presumably also "nothing"
    and then reporting things that would otherwise make me uncomfortable seems..... very pointless. Bc why bother speaking up if nothing is going to be done.

• Agree x 5
  6. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  7. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Except the answer isn't, and never was, "nothing". We've always done stuff. Sometimes we haven't done what people wanted, or as much as they wanted. But we generally do stuff. It's just that what we do generally isn't punitive.

It turns out, the world contains alternatives other than (1) we do nothing at all, ever, (2) we have public punishments as spectacle and entertainment.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    • Agree x 2
  8. Khan

Khan why does anyone NOT hate her

This is disingenuous as hell. People are not asking for that. You have asked for what people want, and then misrepresented it back to them. You still have not addressed the thing I keep bringing up, and I am at the point where I am fine with that piece of Caring Void business being public record because coming to the mods in private about it yielded nothing.

You are again declaring people with different needs are faking these needs in order to be cruel to others.

How very woke.

• Agree x 6
  9. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Nice strawman! That's not what I'm talking about and you know it.

I'll get you receipts later if thats what you'd like, but I think a certain someone in this thread has some first hand experience with being labeled a TERF when talking about criminal reform?

See, you keep coming back to this statement of telling people to just tell you when something is wrong, but I distinctly recall a fairly large group telling you that that wasnt fucking helpful without at /least/ a moderator statement of what is and isnt okay, and yet you fail to do even that beyond vague sweeping statements of how "well we prefer you dont do this but its okay if you do." After one of your (former) mods displayed pretty openly that he laughed off reports he thought silly, I can't imagine all those people have /more/ faith when you say that they can report anything.

• Agree x 4
  10. Leechkin

Leechkin Well-Known Member

no matter how many times people give a myriad reasons why they might want rules, its always gonna get characterized as "those evil abusers wanting to hurt people with their nasty mean rules >:("

• Agree x 2
  11. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

So, I really agree with this post! I think Seebs has a different definition of "rule," but, whatever. Whatever you want to call them, these are examples pieces of information that will help people with the "how do things work around here??" brainweasles. And outside of wanting punitive action (which I don't even think many, if any, people are calling for), I think that's what most people are asking for?

It's been awhile since I read through the welcome thread and the FAQ thread, but they do have a lot of information that answers that question.

I'm going to reread those threads and see if there's anything I can think of that isn't covered them. I've got an in between brainweird where I can understand most social rules, but I can also explain them, so I'll see if I can put that to work. I'll see if maybe the rest of the mod team would be cool with a "some generally agreed upon, but not binding or exhaustive list of social [pieces of information]" type thead.

If there's something pertaining to the "how do things work" social aspect of things that you think has come up a lot that hasn't been addressed (ex, the vent threads expectations (though that has been addressed, I think)), let me know and I'll think on it and see about adding it.

Edit: My reread through of the threads and such might not happen right away, because I have a lot going on right now, but I will make a point of getting to it.
    Editx2: damn closing parens

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    • Like x 4
  12. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

@Khan I know I wasn't part of the mod team then, but I'm sorry that you were asking for help and felt ignored. That's a pretty shitty outcome. I'm not sure what can be done about it now, after the fact, other than promising that I, personally, will try to respond to requests for help so that at least (general) you know you're being heard. I can't promise I'll always have spoons for everyone, own oxygen mask first and all. But I can make an effort.
    ---------------
    @Maya The same goes to you. I'm sorry that you got dogpiled and I don't think that's a thing that should happen, even though it does sometimes. I know there have been a few conversations on how to stop dogpiles from happening, but I think it's a hard problem to try to figure out. I know a lot of people get hit with the "but there's someone wrong/misinformed on the Internet!" bug that makes it feel like you have to respond. I don't have a good solution. Maybe a seperate thread about it, or reviving an old thread (if there is one?).

(I know you had complaints other than this one, but this is only one I feel qualified to speak about.)
    ---------------
    Wrt Rigs and dismissing people's hurt: I am really appalled at how that went down, and I don't think that he did that was okay. Rigs is not on the moderation team anymore, though, and as far as I can tell, I don't think anyone else dismisses reports like that when we get them.

I mean, I kind of skip over some of the cute cat picture reports so that other mods can enjoy them because I am a dog person. But that's different.

• Like x 4
  13. seebs

I can see your point. I don't call it a rule, because I'm not convinced that it really is a rule, so much as "a very strong preference". I've banned spammers, and I've banned people by request, and some day maybe I'll decide that the best damage mitigation I've got involves banning someone. It seems really unlikely, but I'm not making promises.

Yes.

This is actually in the queue, I'm working on it, I'm thinking about it, and I keep thinking "maybe I should just ignore the ongoing drama to work on that".

I have seen appeals processes, and I think I'd rather not. I actually quit a forum over an abusive user who kept getting appeals through by going "but i was just doing it for lulz" etcetera. I've seen the appeals for a temporary ban run weeks longer than the ban. I think that's too top heavy, and frankly, I just don't think we have enough of an issue there to need a formal process. People can post here about stuff they think was unfairly wiggled, or ask about reasoning, and we can talk about it. We don't do the "no criticizing moderator actions" thing.

Yup. There is indeed nothing keeping us from doing crazy shit. The secret is, that's true everywhere. I'm just truthful about it.

I think this is a sound idea, and it fits in reasonably well with things I've wanted to do about documenting moderator protocol/process/whatever. I like the idea of basically establishing what we are trying to offer people, and what the boundaries/rules/etc. are.

But, one big caveat: I will always reserve the right to say "whatever, I'm making a judgment call, here it is, deal". Because no matter how carefully we try to craft a list of rules or guidelines or behaviors, someone will come along and find a way to turn it into a weapon. So there will always be the potential for "yes, that's exactly what we said we'd generally do, but this is an exception".

And I get that this is upsetting, and it sure as hell isn't perfect, but it's what I picked.

This is not intended to be a forum that works for everyone. It's intended to be a forum that works for people that can't get what they want from other forums. It's addressing different problems, and addressing them differently. If that doesn't work for you, that doesn't mean you're a bad person, and it doesn't mean that Kintsugi is a bad site, it means that the site doesn't meet your needs. That happens sometimes. We can't meet every need, so we're meeting a particular set of needs that I was interested in trying to meet because I'd never seen it done successfully.

• Like x 1
  14. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

We are willing to make helpful lists of things when we have the time and energy. It takes a lot of energy because the particulars of the examples are important. I think things are getting bogged down in the fear of Rules as Commandments (which are not happening because of the design of this space). Some people seem to want those, most don't, and I think if we just move past that there will be a lot more energy for actually making those Mod Guidelines and examples of things (with the ever present caveat that we might need to make judgement calls.)

Basically, helpful guidelines =/= rules carved in stone like the 10 commandments of God, but still helpful.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

I never knew where to look for the FAQ so I was pleased to see "It's been a while since I read through the welcome thread and the FAQ thread." Thanks, Alyssa, and maybe it would be a good habit for mods to make links any time they mention one of the perennial threads.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Useful x 1
  16. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

It seems what people want is pretty much exactly the same thing we have right now, except we call the guidelines rules?
    But then I bet you'd end up with people complaining that "you said you'd do something for posts like these, and I didn't see you do anything, so you have favorites!"

17. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Ahh, okay, I am now at least 30% less zombie, and I think I see what the big hangup is here. The point Seebs is arguing and the point the people asking for rules are arguing aren't totally incompatible, a lot of this is coming down to some little linguistic disconnects.

If I'm reading this right, the big reason Seebs is opposed to rules is that it implies a rigidity and guaranteed set of consequences that they aren't willing to commit to. It's almost always possible to think of an exception to a situation ('you are a thief!' 'I stole a loaf of bread.' 'you robbed a house!' 'I broke a window pane. my sister's child was close to death and we were starving--'), and they aren't willing to lay things out in that strictly. One person's post could be harmless in most contexts, but highly inappropriate in the place where it was posted. Or another person's post could usually be harmful, but is in a place where it's fine. A little while back, I asked the rest of the team whether a suicide-flavored post was intense enough that we should ask for a spoiler to be added, but the end result was that the post was in a tagged vent thread that warned for content in the first post, so it was fine.

BUT, on the flip side, just because a set of guidelines can't cover every possible scenario doesn't mean that they'd be totally worthless. As long as there was clear language involved that things will be judged on a case-by-case basis and there are exceptions to every rule, I think we could have something people can get a better grip on, but that doesn't frame things like X action will always have Y consequence.

So the takeaway isn't meant to be that the consequences are always "nothing" and that reporting is pointless. Though I definitely see why you would parse it that way! I've been under the impression that if someone fucks up, the consequences aren't necessarily nothing, it's that there aren't any guaranteed consequences. Consequences can still happen, but Seebs doesn't want to decide ahead of time what those are, they want mods to see a specific incident, look at what happened, and then make a judgment call based on context.

But then people are getting frustrated because there aren't even rough guidelines to orient themselves on 'is [action] okay?' and Seebs is getting frustrated because it's not possible to lay out a system of rules that appropriately/fairly covers every single contingency, and people end up talking past each other for an extremely large number of TSM threads :P

And I think this is definitely on to something, though it's not the entire picture. I think people would probably be fine with the guidelines being called guidelines still, but they want more detail. The broad statement of 'it's never okay to treat someone like trash' is a statement that covers a lot of ground and doesn't have any clear exceptions that I can see. But it's also really, really broad and hard to use as a practical guide. I'm naturally/unconsciously comfortable with a standard of personal behavior that I don't think ever crosses those lines, so... I'm good! Nothing to worry about! Except that no, not everybody is working from that same starting point, and some people want more guidance to draw a clearer picture of what sorts of things are acceptable and which will get pushback.

But that second line, I think that is exactly the thing. Not necessarily just because of users complaining either, but I think Seebs is opposed to boxing things in like that from a pure philosophical standpoint too. But I'm pretty sure that the whole sticking point is the idea of laying out consequences when it's very possible that a situation will come up where those consequences aren't an appropriate response. So they've been refusing to lay out boundaries that won't always hold true, while other people have been pushing for more clearly defined boundaries, with potential case-by-case exceptions.

(I think people probably generally agree that possible case-by-case exceptions are a legit thing, but I don't remember often seeing it stated outright? Though I'd believe that people generally assume that obviously exceptions are a thing (I know I assume it) and dealing with those is part of the moderators' jobs and seebs is just being difficult on purpose. But seebs and strict literalism... is definitely a thing :P)

Generally speaking, I think more detailed guidelines would be a very, very, very good thing. BUT, I also think that making an especial point of refusing to define absolute consequences is also a very good thing. There's a significant portion of the userbase that deals much better when they have guidelines to work with, but there's also a significant portion of the userbase that will have a hard time coping with an implication that if they fuck up in any way, they will be Punished.

From a practical standpoint, I think if we had a list of guidelines for 'please try not to do this' (with a statement that this isn't a complete or absolute list, please feel free to ask mods if you have further questions) and a separate list of potential consequences (wiggling, post moderation, being asked to edit, etc., and potentially-but-not-necessarily, nothing), I think it would do a decent job of accommodating people on both sides of the issue. Writing those lists won't be EASY-easy, but I think that makes things doable, and avoids framing things like any given action being a transgression that will receive a predetermined punishment.

And also, I think that when something gets written up, adding some other guidelines about reporting would be good too. Not that people have been reporting incorrectly, but I see people worrying about reporting incorrectly, and laying out a more compact, readable list of guidelines would help people define what counts as okay. Not that 'okay' has a narrow definition, but it looks like a lot of people won't feel comfortable doing the thing unless they're fairly sure they have a decent picture of what 'okay' actually is.

Sidebar: I've said some things in the past about how thinking that 'of course everyone knows this social rule and anyone who says otherwise is lying' can be a harmful assumption. But I'm thinking that kind of applies here as well, in terms of what counts as acceptable behavior. I'm pretty certain seebs isn't going to come down hard on people's heads for crossing those lines, but from the outside, the vagueness of the don't-treat-people-like-trash idea is still shaped very much like an assumption that 'of course everyone has a good idea of what's acceptable behavior'. That is a really stressful situation to lay out there, and we've probably got an unusually high concentration of people who struggle with social rules. So I was already in favor of more detailed guidelines, but now I'm even more strongly in favor.

• Agree x 20
    • Like x 6
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
  18. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

A thing I feel would be helpful to newcomers and probably other people as well is making it clearer where the rules and guidelines (what few we have) live.

That's so Meta is a cute and fun title for the subforum but it is not actually that clear what it is for without reading the subheading which isn't always a person's first thought. When I came I was here to read the mental health discussion and abuse threads. That's so Meta got skimmed over and put in the category of probably about deep fandom talk.

It wasn't until I actively went looking for where the rules were kept that I found it.

The fun titles not always so fun compared to say a subforum titled: Kintsugi Site Information and Discussion

First stickied thread: Links to Everything You Need To Know About Kintsugi

The "rules" of kintsugi

What happens when people do a bad and while we may not do something publicly about the bad we will do something and reporting your discomfort is still important

Here are links to all the subforum and what there are for

Link to code guide.

Read this first is an aight starting point for this though it could do with more editing for readability for those of us who aren't so great at text walls. Rules and guiding principles and how to get help should maybe come before an explanation on what the word kintsugi means which is nice to know but not the first thing someone wants to read when looking for the rules so they can jump into interacting.

The middle of the second post may not seem like much of a trek but it feels like it and the rules subsection is all paragraphs which is kind of scary to a skimmers eye. Bullet points the very most important things so people will see them faster and easier and go ahha! Exactly what I need to know!

Tldr; It's a forum full of fuzzy brained fussy mentally ill folks. Signpost where information is as clearly and unambiguously as possible and then make said information as easy to read as possible.

Edit: also going to bed and doing important shopping things tomorrow so if any questions are asked of me and I don't answer for like a day that is why

• Agree x 16
    • Useful x 5
    • Like x 1
  19. seebs

The clearer-to-find things idea is good.

Also, some of the comments here have gotten me closer to articulating what the difficulty has been with guidelines/rules/whatever, and I think I may be better able to actually write something up in the nearish future. It's a bit hard to express, but basically, I'm not a deontological moralist in the first place, and any attempt to get lists of moral and immoral actions, or things that seem to be obviously proxies for those, is going to get blank looks and annoyance from me at best. But I may have a workaround.

Also, the readability thing... We are sort of out of good options here, because any movement towards "easier for people who can't handle text walls" will make it harder to read for some other people. That's why we have a couple of different documents with different structures in the first place; because no one document is legible to everyone.

And, of course, "as easy to read as possible" can, in some cases, be "not very easy at all", because sometimes the information itself just plain isn't that easy.

• Informative x 3
  20. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

Sorry, I feel like this is a bit of a tangent, but I wanted to comment on this part. Would it be possible to have a bullet-points version and a longform version of all critical guideline documents? I know that's a lot of work, but I'm sure people would be willing to help you with it. I'm concerned about different documents having different structures to cover the difference, because there might be something communicated in one document which isn't communicated in another - so if someone has to, say, only read bullet points for accessibility, they might miss out on an important guideline and get frustrated when it was only stated in a long post they couldn't focus on. (I use that example because I tend more towards 'struggles with text walls', but I am certain there are just as valid examples coming from the other side of that too.)

So, I think that approaching this as a translation issue would be a good idea.

If that's not feasible, I think collecting some people who have trouble with shortform and longform documents, and having them read over the guidelines as posted and giving input on where the difficult-to-understand bits are would be helpful. It wouldn't make it accessible to everyone, but might be able to make it more accessible to a wider range of people.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 3
    • Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice