Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Aniseed

Aniseed Well-Known Member

We make this chicken and dumplings recipe a lot, especially in the winter.

You will need:

2 tablespoons veg oil
    2 medium carrots
    1 medium chopped onion
    2 teaspoons salt divided
    1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon sage or poultry seasoning
    1 1/2 pounds chicken tender cut into bite size pieces (we use tenderloin cut)
    1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of flour divided
    5 cups chicken broth
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    3 tablespoons butter
    3/4 cup milk
    1 tablespoon parsley (optional, we don't bother with it, we just add a bit of poultry seasoning to the dumplings instead.)

How to make it:

1) Place the oil in a heavy 8 quart pot over medium high heat
    Saute the carrots and onion until tender about 5 minutes
    Add 1 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper and sage

2) Push the vegetables to the side of the pan and add the chicken
    Cook until the chicken is slightly browned about 5 minutes
    Stir the vegetables and chicken together
    Add 2 tablespoons flour stirring until distributed about 2 minutes
    Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer

3) Meanwhile prepare the dumplings
    Combine the remaining flour (1 1/2 cup) the baking powder (2 tsp) and the remaining salt (3/4 tsp) in a medium bowl
    Cut in the butter
    Blend in the milk
    Add parsley and stir gently

4) Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls in the simmering liquid and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover and cook 10 minutes longer.

• Like x 2
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

ooh, dumplings. it's rainy today and i think dumplings would be soooo good.

the czech side of my family liked to make cream of wheat dumplings with pork roast. a bit chewier and more substantial than flour dumplings, and they held up better to being roasted with the meat so they absorbed the gravy. and now i am craving aunt millie's pork roast with the caraway and -- ooh i googled it and look

http://www.tofoodwithlove.com/2013/05/vepro-knedlo-zelo-czech-roast-pork-with.html

except instead of leftover bread dumplings, do these:

http://www.creamofwheat.com/recipes/?recipe=CREAM+OF+WHEAT+Dumplings

and put them in the roasting pan to cook in the meat juices when the roast is almost done. HEAVEN.

• Like x 2
  3. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Biscuits and sausage gravy

(Cute story: when i was little, my grandad used to make this all the time. At one point, we kids were being fussy about eating, and he somehow got us all convinced this was made from squirrels. Like, runs up a tree eats nuts squirrels from the yard. This was the perfect combination of weird and sorta gross to convince a toddle this was THE BEST THING EVER HELL YES I WILL PUT THAT WHOLE PLATE IN MY MOUTH SEE IF I DONT. All the adults ofc found this reaction hilarious, so this dish still x years later has a good 50/50 chance of being called squirrel gravy at our house.)

Usually i pop my biscuits out of the tube, which is not as good but much easier, but when i make them i use this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/how-to-make-super-flaky-buttermilk-biscuits.html

While those are baking, put a roll of uncased spicy italian sausage in a pan to start browning. You can use turkey or chicken sausage with a little extra olive oil too. Once thats broken up into bitesized bits and cooked up brown, turn down your heat and sprinkle in maybe a quarter to half-cup of flour, depending how much gravy you want. Give that a good stir--you want to cook it alone for a bit to soak up all the oil and get rid of the raw flour taste. Then little by little, pour in a little milk as you keep stirring. You dont want it to boil, and itll keep thickening up as you stir, keep adding more milk til its sort of a thick sauce-- thicker than alfredo but thinner than pancake batter.*
    You dont need any seasonings or anything because the spicy sausage flavors everything.

At some point during this process your oven should ding and you can take the biscuits out. The /right/ way to eat this is to split your biscuits in half and pour gravy over them, but i like mine in a bowl on the side so i can put jam on half my biscuit and use the other half to dip in/spread with gravy. I get teased for doing this because i am a fussy little westerner. :D

Edit: i lie. Even if its as thick as bread dough its still delicious. Theres a lot of wiggle room here.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    • Like x 2
  4. Aniseed

I love me some biscuits and gravy. I never had it til I moved in with my girlfriend and she made it for me. We just use spicy gravy mix + biscuit tins + ground sausage.

Another easy recipe I have on google keep: baked ziti.

You will need:

- box of ziti pasta
    - medium container of ricotta
    - 1 egg
    - shredded mozzerella or italian blend cheese
    - 1 jar tomato sauce

How to make it:

Boil ziti according to package instructions, drain.
    Mix 1 egg with the ricotta cheese and some of the shredded cheese.
    Mix ziti in with the cheese mix.
    Add jar of sauce.
    Put in deep pan (you can do a disposable foil pan or just any deep glass pan) and top with more shredded cheese.
    Bake 350 degrees fahrenheit until hot and melty

Easypeasy extra cheesy.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    • Like x 3
  5. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

(is that fahrenheit or celsius for the temperature?)

6. Aniseed

@IvyLB Fahrenheit, sorry. I just copy pasted that and didn't think to clarify but I'll edit it in a sec here.

7. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Grandma's pancakes, an approximation:
    Because when I called her on Friday to ask for her pancake recipe, she was like, I'm eyeballing this. And then I tried to approximate the taste I remember from sneaking pancake batter.

Ingredients:
    1 egg
    2 cups flour
    2 cups milk
    1 cup fizzy water
    salt

What do:
    Whisk milk and egg, then sieve in flour (or just dump it in, but then you need to whisk real good to get out the flour lumps), add water, and then add salt to taste.
    Heat a little bit of oil in a pan, and fry over medium heat. Add more oil after about every second pancake.

Add ham, cheese, vegetables, nutella, jam, sugar & cinnamon as needed. If you add the cheese while frying the second side, you can glue the pancake halves together. Very tasty.

How to Asparagus
    I tried asparagus with sauce hollondaise, and blrgh, and I remember that asparagus is a taste I grew into, so.... yeah. This version is v tasty, at least to my tongue.

Ingredients:
    500 g Asparagus. Thin and many is better than thick and few. Thin asparagus is more tender and has more asparagus tips which are like, hella tasty.
    1 l water
    powdered vegetable broth

What do:
    Peel asparagus. Take care that you remove all of the skin, because the skin is bitter and stringy. If necessary, cut off about a finger width of the bottom of the asparagus stalk, those can be stringy and bleh.
    Cut asparagus to bitesized pieces (~1.5 finger widths), and add to water in a pot. Add powdered vegetable broth as indicated on the glass (aka for me, on 1 l water, 4 heaped teaspoons), cook on low heat until asparagus is tender.

Serve with the pancakes from above and boiled ham. And drink the broth while it's still hot (tho you can microwave it).

8. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

This is the pancake recipe how my mum makes them, they make traditional Dutch pancakes that are the size of the frying pan you make them in, so if you have a big frying pan you have a big pancake :)

For one person without leftovers:
    100 grams of flours
    200 mL of milk
    1 egg

1. Weigh out flour, gradually pour in half the milk until it's a thick batter without lumps.
    2. Add in the egg, whisk until it's completely incorporated into the batter. (If you want to scale this recipe, add one egg at a time, whisk until incorporated, then add the next egg until all the eggs are gone)
    3. Gradually pour in the rest of the milk whilst mixing.
    4. Done! You can now let the batter rest in the fridge for at least half an hour, or use it to make pancakes straight away.
    5. Heat a pan over medium sort of heat. Add oil. Pour batter into the pan, I do this with a soup ladle, and amounts are dependent on how thick you want your pancakes to be, and how large your pan is. Do make sure the entirety of the bottom of the pan is covered, generally this is achieved by tipping the pan this way and that to swirl all the batter over the bottom of the pan.
    6. Wait until the top of the pancake is completely dry, then flip the pancake. Some people can do this by flipping the pan, I use a 'pancake knife' but a thing used for flipping meat is also fine. The bottom of the pancake (that is now on top) should be nicely brown-ish.
    7. Wait a few more minutes until the now bottom of the pancake is nicely brown, but the pancake on a plate and put a lid on the plate (just any pan lid will do) to keep the pancakes warm.
    8. Make pancakes until all the batter is gone. They should still be nice and warm because of the lid.

Serve with golden syrup or jam or cheese or brown sugar or whatever you have on hand that you feel would taste great on a pancake. :D
    Us Dutchies generally bake bacon into the pancake, because that is the best thing ever. To do that, just fry some bacon in the pan you make the pancakes in, flip the bacon and then pour over the batter. Then just follow the process of finishing the pancake.
    Bacon pancakes are delicious with golden syrup :D

• Like x 1
  9. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

What happened to the other food thread?

Anyway, today is frankensoup day, which is a common sort of day in my life where a wide variety of things in the fridge are all about to go bad at once.

Today we are looking at nearly expired potatoes, mushrooms, bacon, and milk. I also have garlic, onions, cheese, and sour cream so baked potato soup is go.

• Like x 1
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

^It seems to have fallen asleep. Assuming you mean the low spoons food thread.

11. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Actually, I meant the Food Nerds thread. There are many food threads it seems.

12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

We seems to like our noms here. Probably got lost? GC moves pretty fast.

13. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

So! This is for me as well as you guys cuz these are my favorite sandwiches in the whole fucking world.

Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches

You will need:
    pork tenderloin
    a box of saltine crackers
    eggs
    milk
    burger buns
    a deep fryer
    a meat tenderizer
    two large pans with raised sides
    a food processor
    plastic and parchment paper
    a lot of spoons or several helpers

This is a very spoon intensive food. It is really yummy though, and the tenderloins can be frozen and cooked later, cuz usually when you buy tenderloin it comes in this huge long tube thing. You don't have to use the whole thing though.

Anyways to start!

All of the saltines need to be ground up finely via the food processor. Dump them in one of the pans. Make sure you bought extra saltines just in case you run out, but you don't have to grind them right now. Put them aside for later.

Take your tenderloin. You will want to cut them into "patties" about a half an inch in depth. Idk, they need to be a teeny bit fat but not super fat. If there is a lot of fat on the outside edge, feel free to trim it.

Grab meat tenderizer. Time to go apeshit on the meat. You will be covered in meat confetti by the end, and your arms will be noodles. Be prepared for this eventuality. Essentially you are going to pound each slice of meat flat. Like really flat and thin. Be careful not to pound holes in it though. When laying them out, place parchment paper between meat.

Get eggs and milk. Crack like three or four eggs into the other pan. Pour milk in till you think it is like halfway full. Don't worry, if you run low later you can add more milk and eggs as need be. Mix them up real good. Should have a yellowy egg milk mixture.

For this part you will need a second person. You guys get one pan or the other. Person with crackers do not!! touch the egg stuff!! You wanna keep your hands and crackers as dry as you can. Egg stuff person, you keep your hands outta the cracker stuff.

Grab meat, dunk in egg mixture. Coat evenly. Put in crackers. Coat in crackers. Dip in egg again, dip in crackers again. Put on paper. Put paper in between meat.

Now! Once you have done all of that you can either freeze them, or cook them. Like any other meat product, keep them cool! If you don't plan on dropping them right in the fryer, put in fridge.

Get your fryer heated up. These are pretty big, keep that in mind. Cook one at a time! Cook till they float and are golden brown.

Put on a bun with toppings of choice. Stuff my family puts on are things like lettuce, pickles, tomato, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise!

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    • Like x 2
  14. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Ok but what about apple-garlic grilled cheese?

Butter two slices of sourdough. Spread a spoonful of minced garlic and juice from the jar on the non-buttered sides. Pile on a couple slices of sharp cheddar, and thin slices of apple, preferably Granny Smith. Close up and grill until the cheese is melty and the bread is crisp and toasted. It tastes like autumn and fondue and I'm told goes fantastic with cold beer.

• Like x 8
  15. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Oh my god. I am doing this TOMORROW.

• Like x 2
  16. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Man I want a tenderloin now. We have some frozen but that means I have to dig out a fryer and cut open sealed packages. Weh.

17. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

If you like recipes and Homestuck, check out The Eat Mesa.

I contributed a couple recipes to it back in the day (years ago, holy fuck). Most of the others are totally legit too, at least the ones I knew anything about (I can't comment on the alcohol recipes).

18. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I always forget to drink enough, even tho I have bottled water next to my bed and an assortment of teas and stuff.

Protip: If you have that problem, a jug is your best friend. Don't go under a litre. Make a lot to drink, and keep your cup/mug/whatever filled.

Kite's Infernal Lemon Tea Mix (not actually infernal)
    for half a litre:
    1 packet of powdered lemon tea
    6 tea spoons of lemon iced tea granule
    honey to taste
    half a litre of hot water

mix, let cool to drinking temperature. you can also add lemon juice. or make actual lemon tea. the iced tea granule is for taste, and because one of those packets is for 150-200ml, and it says you should only drink one of those a day, buuut.... yeah. it's slightly sour and quite sweet, but not overwhelmingly so in either direction.

• Like x 1
  19. sicknastyspades

sicknastyspades Most Rad.

OKAY NERDS SIT UP AND PAY ATTENTION BECAUSE IT'S TIME FOR MY SUPER HIGH-SPOONS RECIPE FOR HELLACIOUSLY RAD CHOCOLATE COOKIES
    FEAT. FUCKING PHOTOS OF THE COOKING PROCESS SHIT YEAH

SHIT YOU WILL NEED (in mixed grams and ounces because fuck the police I do what I want)
    makes like a dozen cookies. or maybe sixteen. basically a number between one and twenty anyway.
    • 2.5 ounces plain flour
    • 0.5 ounces cocoa powder
    • 150 grams chocolate
    • 100 grams chocolate chips
    • 1.5 ounces butter
    • 2.5 ounces brown sugar
    • 1 ounce granulated sugar
    • A GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING EGG
    • some random quantity of baking powder/salt/vanilla extract/coffee/cinnamon like just fuckin' eyeball it bro who even cares
    DID I SAY MOTHERFUCKING PHOTOS? HELL YEAH PHOTOS
    [​IMG]

STEP ONE: measure out the flour/cocoa powder/baking powder/salt. or skip this step and measure them out later because who the fuck is this recipe to tell you what order to do things in.
    [​IMG]

STEP TWO: smash that chocolate up into little pieces. then eat half of it and be all like "shitfuckdammit" and go buy more chocolate. then melt the chocolate. all nice and smooth and no lumps bro (the picture has hella lumps, do not make the chocolate look like the picture).
    [​IMG]

STEP THREE: get a bigass bowl and mix the butter and both the sugars into it. then add the egg and like the vanilla/coffee/cinnamon/whatever, congrats it now looks kinda like vomit! then scrape in the melted chocolate and mix. congrats, it now looks much less like vomit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STEP FOUR: add all the shit you measured out in step one. unless you didn't do that because you wanted to exercise your right to not be oppressed by recipe instructions in which case do it now. also add the chocolate chips. just mix it in, don't overbeat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THEN COVER IT IN CLINGFILM AND LEAVE IT IN THE CORNER FOR HALF AN HOUR (or do what i do and forget about it completely for three hours and then be like oh yeah shit i had cookies to bake)
    this was the point where i also forgot to take photos, you are flying blind from this point on. you can do it, bro! don't believe in you, believe in me who believes in you.

STEP FIVE: preheat the oven to 220 degrees celsius. blob lumps of cookie dough onto baking parchment. dump them into the oven for like seven minutes or smth idk. or just straight-up start eating the cookie dough raw in a fit of culinary nihilism. whatever.

CONGRATS YOU JUST MADE MY SUPER FAVOURITE COOKIE RECIPE which is all kinds of fucking effort-intensive and I only make it on buzzing days. but they are delicious and I finally mastered the art of dunking them into my tea.

• Like x 7
  20. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

If I have the ingredients, I'm making these, they seem awesome

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice