ROSES EVERYWHERE (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Hart, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

Capture.PNG
    i'm not at all surprised akio is the one having mikage do this shit

also i bet next comes the showdown with mikage as this arc's antagonist

Capture2.PNG
    ...i'm starting to get a little lost wrt what's happening in this flashback

Capture3.PNG
    holy shit. i'm starting to think grooming is a recurring theme with akio

Capture4.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    wHOA, THIS EPISODE NEEDS TO SLOW DOWN

i'm guessing nemuro/mikage fell in love with that woman, and akio used this knowledge to manipulate him somehow?

so he burned the place down???

i think i'm just gonna wait for this part to be explained later i am so confused

Capture6.PNG
    i- what. no, really? okay. i guess?

i won't question it

Capture7.PNG
    okay, i guess she was in on whatever the heck just happened too?

Capture8.PNG
    ... that kid actually died in the fire, didn't he?

nemuro did start it, and mamiya died. the current mamiya is an impostor, or some kind of illusion created by nemuro's memories.

judging by fake mamiya's resemblance to anthy, and her expression from that earlier episode, i think this might be seriously hinting that she's behind the events of this arc

nemuro is getting played like a damn fiddle

what akio said about people within the school not aging is troubling me too. he's a grown-ass man. i bet this anime is some kind of metaphor for the transition to adulthood, and akio's character probably symbolizes something related to this. i haven't figured that part out quite yet.

this anime seems to be getting darker as it goes along, i dread to see what the next arc has in store

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    • Like x 8
  2. Ipuntya

Capture.PNG
    oh, so the people who died were duelists? interesting

Capture2.PNG
    [ SHIPPING INTENSIFIES ]

Capture3.PNG
    this guy is really having some problems with illusions, isn't he?

or in this case are they delusions?

Capture4.PNG
    ah, so that's the meaning behind the black rose duels...

Capture5.PNG
    ooh, he discovered the truth behind mamiya

Capture6.PNG
    oh shit i was right after all

Capture7.PNG
    akio fucked this guy's entire life up

i don't think nemuro's gonna recover from all this

this is so fucked

it does tie into what i said earlier about the whole transition to adulthood thing, however

Capture8.PNG
    [ SCREAMS OF FRUSTRATION ]

I HATE THAT I'M RIGHT

Capture9.PNG
    DON'T YOU TURN YOUR HEAD AND SMILE AT THAT ASSHOLE THIS SHIT IS FUCKED EVERYTHING'S SO FUCKED

FUCK

• Like x 9
  3. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

EXTRA CREDIT QUESTION: Given the fact that the fire apparently happened "a long time ago", and everyone looks pretty 60s-70s in the flashbacks...what can we conclude about how long the duels have been going on? What can we conclude about how long Akio has looked exactly the same age as he does now?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    • Like x 6
  4. Ipuntya

odd, the utena must have met her prince during this timeframe

but dios doesn't do anything but sit around nowadays

this would mean utena's prince was someone pretending to be dios, in which case it was either akio or...anthy?

holy shit, akio doesn't change his appearance

it was anthy

ANTHY IS UTENA'S PRINCE I'M CALLING OT NOW

• Like x 5
  5. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Not in response to anything in particular, but @Ipuntya, can I just say I love your speculation and analysis? I've been mostly lurking, but I do really enjoy your liveblog posts! Utena is a tough show to put together, especially while you're watching it for the first time, but you have a lot of really interesting thoughts about it, and I'm excited to see you learn how they line up with the rest of the story. :D (Not to say your confusion isn't also fun to watch, of course.)

• Like x 6
  6. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

I'm in my third watch through this series and still picking up on stuff I missed so this entire thread is like /SHOVES POPCORN IN MOUTH FURIOUSLY

• Like x 1
  7. Rongeur

Don't get too attached to that theory, I was actually just hinting at "he's hella old"

• Like x 2
  8. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

plastic surgery and/or the holographic technology used in making the duel area work wonders

• Like x 2
  9. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

10. Rongeur

So I'm starting on Princess Tutu, but because of Utena, I have like. lingering PTSD over the word "ouji-sama".

• Like x 6
  11. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

:noms: That's a fascinating crossover idea in several ways.

• Like x 2
  12. keltena

I'm sorry; I really want to express sympathy, but in all honesty I'm just cackling at this.

Watching Princess Tutu with constant Utena associations in the back of your mind is a highly recommendable experience regardless, though, considering the similarities (and differences) in themes, so I hope you enjoy it! :D (It's my favorite anime, personally.)

• Like x 3
  13. keltena

• Like x 5
  14. Rongeur

Im really enjoying it so far - Utena and Ahiru would get on well, I think. Similar ideals, similarly bullheaded way of going about things. I'm also loving the hell out of Drosselmeyer, in all his dickish meta glory.

Edit: Also, 7 episodes in, I'm starting to suspect that Mytho is just dumber than a box of hair, and maybe they should just keep him on one of those toddler leashes.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    • Like x 5
  15. Ipuntya

i'm probably gonna pick back up the liveblog and next arc of utena very slowly, since i've been busy with the transition to college lately

(and college will be super busy itself since i'm an honors double major)

• Like x 4
  16. Rongeur

Man no offense but Ahiru's friends kinda suck. Will someone get this girl a Wakaba already?

• Like x 3
  17. keltena

Yeah, Pique and Lilie are my favorites, but they are such assholes. :') (Well, mostly Lilie, but Pique doesn't really help.)

... Should we maybe make a Princess Tutu thread to move this to? I'd be happy to make it if people want.

• Like x 5
  18. Rongeur

Yes plz! I dont know enough about the series to write a good OP, but I'd happily join one.

19. keltena

Here we go!

• Like x 1
  20. Rongeur

some-triangles is liveblogging Utena (as a retrospective, not blind), and it's magnificent:

• Like x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice