Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

Yes, but also have seen other fake "spoilers" before that one too, that was just the straw that broke the camel's back

2. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

i think peeps just like how excited peeps get over that kinda stuff. If it's just a dude making a fanwork, like a not-popular dude making a not super great fanwork then there's not a whole lotta attention get, yunno? But if they dress it up like it's legit, then they get people all excited over a thing they made. or something. and some people just like riling people up, yeah? "You had an emotion, that means u dumb and i smartgood"

• Like x 2
  3. Willowanderer

Willowanderer Does her best

still, super tacky.

• Like x 1
  4. liminal

again not related to anything but:

tumblr_nczqw27oGh1qcm2uao1_1280.jpg

I forget which crewniverse member made this but it's my favorite thing

• Like x 13
  5. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

That is probably my favorite comic ever.

• Like x 1
  6. Willowanderer

• Like x 6
  7. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

• Like x 1
  8. Willowanderer

It is... I think they've done a great job with Lapis.

9. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

That comic is great, thanks for linking!

10. liminal

ooooooh something clicked in my brain today with all the Roosh V talk

what if the connection is being made, not because she's masculine, but because a lot of MRA-type dudes see women as a vagina with legs and advocate that you must do everything necessary to get laid and not care about things like boundaries or :consent:? and they see that she does not really care about boundaries (Jasper likes to grab and shove people all over the place) and the scene where she tries coercing Lapis into fusion and think "yeah, that's basically the same thing"

People are allowed to have their interpretations, but I can't help but think... on the surface that's really similar, but when looking at motivations and general personality... there are a lot of small differences that quickly add up... so a lot of people who read that go "wtf?"

but this is tumblr, where black and white thinking rules and nuance doesn't exist.

• Like x 1
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Yup. What do you mean greyscale? All stories must be black and white.

I admit that headcanon is still a pet peeve because Jasper is a Gem. Gems are all femaleish. Where would she get sexism FROM? Castism sure but sexism?

• Like x 4
  12. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

Idk why I'm suddenly super into jasper again but.
    She's so awesome

• Like x 4
  13. liminal

SAME. Except I know why:

I watched the Log Date episode, saw some analysis that said that the shipping in the episode was hinting at Jaspidot. Then I realized that the ship was actually a thing that exists (and I ship it) which then went on to finding posts, which meant seeing other people's character analysis, and some of it was good and a lot of it sucked, so I rewatched The Return and Jailbreak to remember what her character was like because it had been a really long time since I watched those episodes anyways. Now I am hunting for fan stuff and analysis that I like while waiting for new episodes. And I happen to have more of a focus on Peridot and Jasper because that's what triggered this whole sequence of events in the first place.

To be fair I have an obsessive personality and this probably could have happened with any other character and episode, but HERE I AM.

Speaking of Jasper, this hint at her character does not bode well for her future. (reading the story might give some interesting insight to her past, though I think it was assumed the gem war Was Fucked Up anyways)

• Like x 2
  14. Zuki

Zuki Well-Known Member

How does the shipping analysis for Log Date suggest Jaspidot subtext?

(Jasper and Peridot always made more sense than Lapis and Peridot, to me, at least, although I don't sail either ship.)
    (Of course, I'll read and ship anything if the fanfiction sells me on it, does anyone have recs?)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Like x 2
  15. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I may have done the thing.
    Sidenote, if anyone else wants to RP Jasper or make their own askthread, I will be the opposite of offended. (I remember there was an issue in spr2)

• Like x 2
  16. liminal

It took me awhile to find but I found the original post that I read that suddenly made me ship it. While searching for it, I also found this post that basically has the same info, but then the person edited it with even more "subtext"/speculation.

• Like x 3
  17. Zuki

Zuki Well-Known Member

I love shippers. This kind of stuff is the best kind of silly...and yet

and yet

In any other show but Steven Universe, I'd write it off as fans and epileptic tree speculation.

• Like x 4
  18. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

I found something out about myself today. When I'm freaking out/crying/having an episode and I really, really need to be calmed down and made rational because I need my head right now, I'm apparently going to open watch cartoon online and start loading a SU episode before I'm fully aware of what I'm doing.

Thanks, SU. Sworn to the Sword, Lion 3, and The Message later, and half a loaf of cornbread, I am not able to speak words. I'm not sure what that worked.

It just goes to show that SU has had SUCH an emotional impact on me. This is My Show right now, and I've made a house in it, so it has the power to remind me of better times, and better feelings, and remind me of good things when I am, to put it lightly, not feeling great. I believe my thought process for doing this was something like 'I need Pearl' which, I don't even know how to unpack that, but, ok. Hungry, eat food. Exhausted, sleep. Miserable and starting to split, watch Sworn to the Sword.

• Like x 7
  19. Zuki

Zuki Well-Known Member

Speaking of The Message, can I say how I love all the ways Greg stays relevant and meaningful as a character, despite the persistent tendency of the older Gems to dismiss him?

He...okay I can't say he keeps his cool in Catfingers, but he and Steven figure something out instead of him being useless with terror and confusion. He takes the sudden and unexpected appearance of Stevonnie more or less in stride. The whole thing with receiving an alien signal and tuning it to display a video message! He is a renaissance man of rock-and-roll, composing, playing, singing, and all of the lights and sound and set-up and tech. Everything he does in Space Race! (Man, Space Race, and Steven's parents feels. Steven's most Mom-Mom, and his Dad, and spaceships.)

• Like x 13
  20. liminal

Greg is honestly one of my favorite Steven Universe characters, and he's easily my favorite human character. He reminds me of my dad, so every scene he's in makes me feel warm and nostalgic...

it honestly makes me feel really weird when people describe him as not being a very good parent.

• Like x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice