Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

I would say don't bring that up at first, but then if they start arguing mention that it's your money.

If they're worried about you travelling because you have some sort of brainweird, I don't think that's entirely legitimate. I'm mentally ill and autistic and I've traveled by myself and actually enjoy traveling.

• Agree x 1
  2. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

It’s more like my dad is your stereotypical redneck and doesn’t trust anyone that isn’t related to him and that goes double for people online. The one I’m traveling to see is my boyfriend who lives in Florida.

3. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Don't you know everyone from Florida is secretly an alligator? She says, being from Florida :p

I would say something like, "Hi parents. I just wants to let you know that I am going on vacation from [date] to [date] in Florida. I'll keep you posted on when I land safely [assuming you're flying] and when I get checked into my hotel [or get settled in, if you're not staying at a hotel]. My flight is scheduled to land back here at [time] and I'll let you know when I'm on the way home."

Any other information you're willing to give them up front, your hotel address (not room), daily check ins, etc would probably help your case, but that depends on your comfort level.

Just like. Lay it all out for them with no room for argument. You're going on the vacation. Full stop.

• Agree x 2
  4. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

what's some good+easy food to make+eat (and preferably keep down) when you're on your period's heavy days and feeling really blargh?

5. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I like to make nachos. Tortilla chips, canned beans, cheese, Mexican or taco seasoning depending on what you have on hand, thirty seconds in the microwave. Maybe some salsa over top at the end if I'm feeling fancy.

6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Depends what you like, and what your definition of "easy" is, but the Low Spoons Food thread is probably a good place to start? Popular ones around my apartment range from "find a kind of sausage you like and microwave it" to tomato basil pasta (which requires multiple steps and a number of ingredients and chopping an onion, but is mostly "throw things in pot and set a timer" beyond that).

• Useful x 1
  7. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I usually make box mac n cheese or make an absurd amount of pasta and buy premade alfredo sauce so I can load up on carbs repeatedly whenever cravings hit me.
    usually try to also have pickles and something chocolatey because my cravings rapidly vacillate from carbs to salty to sweet and back

8. How do I get back into writing after 4 years of not writing?

9. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

This may not work for you, but it's what worked for me: find something incredibly self-indulgent to write about - something you want to see in the world but that no one else has put out there, or something that someone else has done but not the way you think it should go. Doesn't matter how over the top. Poke at it a little bit every day - shoot for a hundred or two hundred words to start out with, very small goals. Don't edit at all except for typos for the first thousand words or so, just get some words out and worry about how good they are later.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  10. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I second the super self indulgent stuff. It's the only way I write anymore these days, but at least I still get to practice!

It's also helped me to be like "I'm just writing this for me, no one is going to see it" If I decide later that it's good enough to share, I might. But the thing is mostly just for me so it doesn't matter if its "good" or "not problematic" or anything else.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about picking fonts? I need two, and I found two I like but they're very different and I don't know how to tell if it's in a good way or they're clashing.

12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm trying to go for a "Tumblr aesthetic pic" look and I need fonts that are okay for commercial use. I like Cooper Black Five (an abandonware version of Cooper Black) and Swansea Italic. Contrast is good but I'm not sure that serif vs san serif AND heavy vs thin AND straight vs italic isn't a bit much there.

14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I don't know anything about fonts or graphic design, as a disclaimer, but I'm not sure that those two go together... maybe try more size contrast between the business name and the product name? like, shrink the business name by 50% and enlarge the product name by 50%, or something. Also, the fact that one is centered and the other is left aligned looks a bit odd.

• Useful x 1
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

That looks pretty good! I would still mess around with size differences and stuff with this and the previous font, though, just to see how it turns out.

18. Mossflower

Anyone that knows anything about cars help me out a bit. I have a 2009 smart car with just over 30,000 miles on it. New oil and the engine light isn’t on.

My problem is that my dad is convinced that it won’t make a 12 hour drive for my vacation. I’m thinking it would but I have no car knowledge at all.

19. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

It should make the trip fine. If it has no history of engine problems, it's been recently tuned (were your tires rotated too?) and you've checked the tire pressure and everything, it should make the trip alright. Might not be a super comfortable trip, depending on how the space inside treats you after hour two or three, but it doesn't sound like there's any red flags that would guarantee it breaking down on you.

20. Mossflower

That’s what I was thinking it does need a new tire to replace a worn out one, but other then that it hasn’t had any issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice