Bugs/Feature Requests

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Ignoring a forum does not remove posts in it from the New Posts list, even when that option is checked. Makes self-imposed temp bans a bit difficult.

• Agree x 3
  2. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

filtering posts shortens the New Posts box to 4 entries if the post in question would normally be there. is there a way to fix that without changing xenforo itself?

3. shmeed

shmeed plant me

apparently i have the Taako Taaco account, but it only started showing up today, and it only shows up in the post dropdown list (it does not show up in the top dropdown list, and i can't log into the account)

edit: it only shows up in the bottom dropdown list when im on a subaccount, too. i can't access it at all from my main

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

That's because it's a subaccount of a subaccount, rather than a subaccount of the main account.

I am honestly not sure whether I can fix that without blowing up the entire database.

• Informative x 2
  5. seebs

I don't think so, sadly. The filters are too complicated for the database engine itself to do, so they just run a query for "top N posts" and then show the ones that pass filtering.

6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

^bringing this back up

7. Pheelog

Pheelog The Phee-Phee Police

I personally just ad-blocked the entire New Posts list.

• Useful x 1
  8. seebs

Unfortunately, the "new posts" list thing is... sort of awful. I'm honestly thinking about just turning it off.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  9. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

Please don't!

• Agree x 5
  10. seebs

So the basic problem is this:

Themes can inherit from a parent theme. And then the theme is just some modifications from the parent. So we have a basic forum thing, then a bunch of themes that change colors.

We could also have a basic forum thing, then a bunch of themes that change layouts.

But we can't make a changed layout except by doing it once for every color, unless we go the other way and do every color theme by making a color variant under each layout theme. Either way, it goes from N items to N*M items.

• Informative x 2
  11. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

can themes inherit from two parent themes?

12. seebs

Nope. Each theme has exactly one parent. That is the central problem we have.

13. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

I don't pay any attention to themes; but I use the "new posts" list because I can't "follow" people or threads -- too many interruptions.

14. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Would it be possible, then, to maybe make a version of the default theme without the new posts list, for those who don't want it? Kinda like how we have one that doesn't show status post thingies?

(I have no stake in this, since I pay zero attention to the new posts list for the most part but also have no issues with it, so YMMV on whether this is a good idea.)

15. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

It seems pinging people who are ignoring you sometimes sends them notifications? I at least know it happened for one person, but then I tried it myself and it didn't work.

16. seebs

So far as I know, people you have ignored do not produce notifications outside of some obscure bugs that don't apply to our install.

17. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Okay, More Science time:
    @seebs

18. seebs

Okay, confirmed: No alerts are generated when ignored users ping you. I am not surprised by this, since it's documented behavior and we've tested it before, but just to confirm, no one is getting alerts from ignored users (unless the ignored users are mods or admins, which palindromordnilap is not.)

19. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i'm wondering if it would be possible to separate policy debates and stuff about the nature of kintsugi, and routine, rarely-ever-drama related stuff like the username-changing thread and this thread into two different subsubforums in that's so meta. 'cause people might want to block this subforum for the policy debates and nature of kintsugi stuff and the drama involved in those, but still might want to do things like ask for new features or debugging of bugs or username changes. and i think these two things are distinct enough to warrant and make possible being split up like that.

• Agree x 8
    • Useful x 2
  20. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice